• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larranaga Coach of the Year

Jim Larranaga named top coach

Updated: April 4, 2013, 4:35 PM ET
    Associated Press
    ATLANTA -- Jim Larranaga, who led Miami to the Atlantic Coast Conference regular season and tournament titles and a No. 2 ranking, has been selected The Associated Press' coach of the year.
    Larranaga received 29 votes Thursday from the same 65-member national media panel that selects the weekly Top 25. Jim Crews of Saint Louis got 19 votes and Mark Few of Gonzaga had 11. The voting ended on Selection Sunday.
    The 63-year-old, two-time-hip-replacement patient had a 29-7 record in his second season with the Hurricanes and they were made a No. 2 seed in the NCAA tournament.
    He is the first Miami coach to win the award and is the first Atlantic Coast Conference coach to get it since Roy Williams of North Carolina in 2006.
    The New York native led George Mason to the Final Four in 2006.
    If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

I think Marshall was deserving but I am not sure how you pick a coach who finished second in his league to one that won his league. Congratulations to Jim Larranaga. He did a hell of a job this year at Miami. Crews and Few also had great years.
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
      I think Marshall was deserving but I am not sure how you pick a coach who finished second in his league to one that won his league. Congratulations to Jim Larranaga. He did a hell of a job this year at Miami. Crews and Few also had great years.
      Reloading, beating expectations, managing a rash of injuries, beating expectations, not having NCAA violations, beating expectations, proving you are better than Gonzaga instead of just whining about it, beating expectations by more, making the Final Four. I'm not saying Marshall should have been COY. Well, yes, yes I am. Nevermind.

Comment

I wanna see colds reaction to this...
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
        Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          Reloading, beating expectations, managing a rash of injuries, beating expectations, not having NCAA violations, beating expectations, proving you are better than Gonzaga instead of just whining about it, beating expectations by more, making the Final Four. I'm not saying Marshall should have been COY. Well, yes, yes I am. Nevermind.
          Note the voting ended on Selection sunday - a vote today would be quite different, I suspect . . . although, perhaps not the outcome . . .
          If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Rixtoy1 View Post
            Note the voting ended on Selection sunday - a vote today would be quite different, I suspect . . .
            Noted. I would still place him 4th out of the coaches you listed.

Comment

Larranaga is a solid choice for coach of the year. His team was also picked 4th in his conference and he had to deal with injuries as well.

Comment

Sad Gregg didn't get it, but at least it was to a very deserving coach. Larranaga is all class.
                ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rixtoy1 View Post
                  Note the voting ended on Selection sunday - a vote today would be quite different, I suspect . . . although, perhaps not the outcome . . .
                  Why would they only announce it now if the voting ended that long ago?

If you're right, I agree with the selection. Would be a very different story if it was held now, though.
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                    I wanna see colds reaction to this...
                    Might have to wait a long long time.

Comment

we always run into Jim Larranaga on our last two nice NCAA runs
                      "Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

I like Larranaga. Marshall could have won it but no one, including coach, would swap COY for the FF.

Comment

Since COY is a regular season award it makes sense Larranaga won it.

Comment

If Marshall was chosen, people might notice that he's a decent coach & hire him away from WSU. Some school in NJ needs a coach.
                            Phi Alpha

Comment

Originally posted by Speed View Post
                              If Marshall was chosen, people might notice that he's a decent coach & hire him away from WSU. Some school in NJ needs a coach.
                              Washburn would have a better chance of hiring HCGM than Rutgers.

What an armpit, hell hole program to walk into with that AD and President still calling the shots.

Just can't see anybody taking that job without prior ties to the state or the school.

Comment

Working...
                              X