National Semi-Final Game - Fan Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Semi-Final Game - Fan Notes

I really wanted to make a thread for all the things to do, Shocker related, leading up to the first game.

But before we get to those things, a tiny plea to ShockerNation:

Saturday, we get to show off to the WORLD what Wichita State and ShockerNation are all about. A lot of people will be watching and how we present ourselves will give them their first impression of WSU. I am not directing, suggesting, bitching or anything else. If others wish to add, please do, I only offer the following:

It's the NATIONAL SEMI-FINALS and Wichita State is 2 wins from a National Championship.

1. Come early
    2. Stay late
    3. Be loud
    4. Wear yellow
    5. Cheer like a champion
    6. Go Shocks

Client: WSU Athletics Title: #WATCHUS 90 Produced by: Intake Studios Intake Studios is a video production and motion design studio located in Wichita, Kansas…

I posted some info earlier on Taco Mac being the official bar of Shocker fans. It is about two miles from the Grand Hyatt. Hope to see all there Friday night.

Good post, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      I posted some info earlier on Taco Mac being the official bar of Shocker fans. It is about two miles from the Grand Hyatt. Hope to see all there Friday night.

Good post, Doc.
      Might try and make it over Friday evening. Just depends what time I make it in
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Man, that video just does not get old no matter how many times I watch it.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Enjoy the moment like no other. Don't take this for granted. Respect our opponents and their fans.

If you want to talk trash you can attend the National Association of Waste Haulers Annual Meeting.

Root, root, root for the Shockers ---- history may be in the making.

Loud and proud. Go Shocks!

Comment

Welcome to the Big Time, fellas.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              Welcome BACK to the Big Time, fellas.
              Fixed.

Comment

Progression: Watch these videos in order to get the blood pumping

Client: Wichita State University Athletics Title: 2011-2012 Wichita State University Men's Basketball Team Introduction Produced by: Intake Studios Intake…

My perspective, Mrs. Vector and I were fortunate enough to attend the NIT Championship game in NYC a couple of years ago. I remember that run up to the last game in the Big Apple. First game against NU at home, they had a tank of a guard who was going to kill us down the lane, it was doubtful we could beat a Big12 team. Well, that night I recall how our team totally eviscerated the Huskers with excellent ball movement and team play. We blew them away.
                Against Wazzu St, they had a NBA prospect at guard and a recently returned big man down in the paint. Another slim chance of us winning under the lights in Madison Square Garden. We handed them an azz whuppin' for the ages!
                Then the big game against Bama, tough guards and even tougher bigs, low and behold we hoisted a trophy and cut down some nylon that evening.

Fast forward to March 2013.
                We followed the team up to Omaha and then on to St Louis for the tourney (with a healthy Ron Baker) where a much ballyhooed rubber match against the Cardinals turned into "a walk in the park Kazanski". A week later, after some hand wringing, the NCAA pairings were announced late on Sunday afternoon. As the teams were called out we began to wonder, growing more nervous by the minute. Anticipation of where we would go soon gave way to "I hope we get in". Finally in the West Regional it was announced the Wichita State Shockers are a 9 seed and they will take on the Pitt Panthers as an 8 seed. Long exhale, we made it, as a 9 seed no less.

Within minutes the talking heads were discussing the match ups, just about everyone of them would say "Wichita State had a good year but I don't see them getting by Pitt (from the Big East) with their great defense blah blah blah and that next match up with Pitt vs Gonzaga will be a great game". What we witnessed first hand in Salt Lake City didn't turn out that way did it?

Next game, "Gonzaga is the #1 team, I don't know if the Shockers can hang with them, great shooting and NBA talent in the post" we were told (sans Dickie V). Didn't work there either, eh?

Out to LA we go, "LaSalle has won 3 in a row, they are hot, knocking off St Mary's, KState, and Ole Miss (yeah, the REAL Ole Miss). There guards are fast, they can shoot the 3 ball, I think LaSalle takes it, Philly Floater you know". Pundits 0 for 3

Elite 8 time, tons of tOhio St U fans. "They're gonna own the Staples Center, just like a home game. Craft is the DPOY in the B1G, they can shoot from outside, they can dish, they pound it down low. OSU to the Final Four". Hmmm, Ohio St played poorly

I'm tired of being told what we can't accomplish, the odd looks of how did they get in here, (teams we played were all of the sudden overrated, we don't allow non BCS teams at Bushwood Country Club), the Shanghai-ing by Dan the "DC" Patrick. Screw em', screw em' all. Cue the Twisted Sister about now.

Client: WSU Athletics Title: #WATCHUS 90 Produced by: Intake Studios Intake Studios is a video production and motion design studio located in Wichita, Kansas…

It is a beautiful thing to see how this years' Shocker TEAM has brought this city together at this moment, black and yellow everywhere. I grew up listening to Gus Grebe call Shocker games on the radio with my Dad and older brother. The way Gus called the game you could picture it in your mind (the far/near eastern corner) My Dad would be SO proud of this TEAM if he were here to see it. What a absolute treat this year has been and continues to be. I'm about worn out from this last month, but DAMN we are loving it. I never would have dreamed we would be going to Atlanta to watch OUR Shockers compete in the Final Four this season. But somehow we will muster the strength to get there :smile-new:. Just like I know the Shockers will summon the strength, the focus, and the intensity it will take to win this game. Others fans and pundits can tell us what we should be worried about, but you know what? I'm not worried, are you worried? #Do I make you nervous?

Client: WSU Athletics Title: WSU Basketball Open 2012-2013 Produced by: Intake Studios Intake Studios is a video production and motion design studio located…

Simply stated, thank you Coach Marshall, your family, your staff and the TEAM!

Safest of travels to everyone

Here we go!
                Last edited by I_Vector_Wu; April 3, 2013, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Was it Kung Wu who created the first 48 hour Thursday? My friend, if you do have those powers, I propose that you start a 72 hour Saturday tomorrow morning. I so don't want this time to go by too quickly. Doc is correct. Soak this up. Enjoy the moment. Make some new friends. Be kind and considerate to the opposing fans. It is so surreal. Our fellas our in the Final 4! Let's make this a weekend we will all never forget.

Comment

Enjoy the ride....and savor the moment.

Remember how good this was?

Annual tribute to players participating in the NCAA Division 1 College Basketball Tournament

And this is going to be so much better you aren't going to believe it.

Comment

@I_Vector_Wu:

Thanks for that post. You said what all of us Shockers are feeling right now. What a great ride it has been. And we are not satisfied.

Comment

Its all on the line now, everything we have dreamed for and more (for years and years and years).

What a time to be a SHOCKER!

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                          Was it Kung Wu who created the first 48 hour Thursday? My friend, if you do have those powers, I propose that you start a 72 hour Saturday tomorrow morning. I so don't want this time to go by too quickly. Doc is correct. Soak this up. Enjoy the moment. Make some new friends. Be kind and considerate to the opposing fans. It is so surreal. Our fellas our in the Final 4! Let's make this a weekend we will all never forget.
                          I'm with you man! I'm holding on to the next 5 days and 5 nights forever!!

When we beat Loo-evil, against all odds, I swear the entire country except for a few small counties in either New York or Michigan will be pouring their hopes and dreams into our Shockers.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            Enjoy the moment like no other. Don't take this for granted. Respect our opponents and their fans.

If you want to talk trash you can attend the National Association of Waste Haulers Annual Meeting.
                            Amen. I think one of my co-workers jinxed it yesterday when he called out a K-State fan during a meeting with "How'd you guys do this weekend!?" DOH!!

I've made it this far into the tournament without talking trash (as hard as it has been) to KU, K-State and CU fans and I am not about about to start. This has been so very fun!

Comment

I've taken a few fun pokes at my brother and a good friend. But all in harmless fun. They're good sports and happy for us all. I don't do that to others I know
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                              X