Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How has Marshall led us so far? One word: metagaming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    And that's what you save your first post in over a week for?

Somebody didn't get anything from the Easter Bunny this year.. :cry:
    I take it back and apologize if since I was missed.
    Serioysly apilogize
    Phi Alpha

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      And that's what you save your first post in over a week for?

Somebody didn't get anything from the Easter Bunny this year.. :cry:
      Seriously I apologize. A comment from a ling time ago struck a chord.
      Phi Alpha

Comment

'Lazy coaches'???? I'm pretty sure none of these opponents are lazy...degrees of smartness, perhaps....

Comment

Originally posted by Speed View Post
          Seriously I apologize. A comment from a ling time ago struck a chord.
          No worries. Sorry if I offended you by a comment in the past.

Go Shocks!
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
            Why do you always go into to troll mode when you see one of my posts? It does nothing good for you or the Shockernet community. I did not title the thread "HEY SHOCKERFEVER, please come derail a thread and make it about your personal grudges!" Good thing too, that probably wouldn't fit in the title box.

In all seriousness though, the one thing that has hurt us is our opponents getting to the line. Both Gonzaga and Ohio State had runs sparked with FTs. I think Ohio State cut our 20 point lead down to 9 points without making a single FG.

Obviously we've met expectations. But still, we came awfully close to missing this opportunity entirely. From what I've heard, our game against Pitt was supposed to be a 7-10 or 6-11 game that got changed to a 8-9 game to meet NCAA regulations regarding rematches with conference foes. While virtually every bracket had us in, we were in a lot of "Last Four In" lists despite our final ranking. When we lost 3 games in a row, we definitely were starting to risk missing the tournament.
            Fever does have a good point.

The Shockers are leading the tournament in personal fouls. The stats are as follows:

Michigan - 40 (UNI like)
            Syracuse - 52 (Zone)
            Wichita State - 78 (Almost 20 per game)
            Louisville - 79 (Frenetic aggression)

As added information, turnover stats are as follows:

Michigan - 39
            Syracuse - 43
            Louisville - 46
            Wichita State - 46

M.H.

Yes, you are correct. I had a compilation error.

The stats, which I posted, were not intended to project game match-ups. Rather it was intended to provide a general sense of the team's tendency relative to personal fouls.

I assume you have read Coach Merfeld's quote. If not, it is posted here someplace. It is interesting.
            Last edited by Ricardo del Rio; April 3, 2013, 07:24 PM.
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
              Fever does have a good point.

The Shockers are leading the tournament in personal fouls. The stats are as follows:

Michigan - 40 (UNI like)
              Syracuse - 52 (Zone)
              Louisville - 69 (Frenetic aggression)
              Wichita State - 78 (Almost 20 per game)

As added information, turnover stats are as follows:

Michigan - 39
              Syracuse - 43
              Louisville - 46
              Wichita State - 46
              You might check your math on Louisville. By my count, they have committed 79 fouls in the NCAA tournament (1 more than WSU). It is also important to compare how many fouls were committed by opposition to get a sense of how much can be put on style of officiating and margin advantage over opponent (format is team fouls/opponent fouls):

Michigan - 40/52
              Syracuse - 52/80
              Louisville - 79/82
              WSU - 78/79

Really Syracuse is the only team in the bunch that has a sizable advantage on the foul front. Wichita State and Louisville are pretty much mirror images of each other on this front.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                You might check your math on Louisville. By my count, they have committed 79 fouls in the NCAA tournament (1 more than WSU). It is also important to compare how many fouls were committed by opposition to get a sense of how much can be put on style of officiating and margin advantage over opponent (format is team fouls/opponent fouls):

Michigan - 40/52
                Syracuse - 52/80
                Louisville - 79/82
                WSU - 78/79

Really Syracuse is the only team in the bunch that has a sizable advantage on the foul front. Wichita State and Louisville are pretty much mirror images of each other on this front.
                You are correct. See above.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post

Michigan - 40/52
                  Syracuse - 52/80
                  Louisville - 79/82
                  WSU - 78/79

Coach Merfeld's quote:

Get to the line. "If there is a weakness to the Shockers' defense, it's the propensity for fouls; their foul-shot-to-field-goal-attempt ratio is 37.8 percent, No. 278 in the country. "Get to the free throw line" is not a particularly sophisticated piece of advice, but it is without question the path of least resistance against the Shockers' D."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Coach Merfeld's quote:

Get to the line. "If there is a weakness to the Shockers' defense, it's the propensity for fouls; their foul-shot-to-field-goal-attempt ratio is 37.8 percent, No. 278 in the country. "Get to the free throw line" is not a particularly sophisticated piece of advice, but it is without question the path of least resistance against the Shockers' D."
                    Regardless of whether it is big numbers of fouls or small, if we can get to line at the same or better rate as Louisville (and hit them), we should be fine in this area because Louisville has a propensity to foul as well. If we let them get a big edge in free throw attempts, we are in trouble.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Coach Merfeld's quote:

I don't mind the fouls. Much like Louisville's numbers show, aggressive, in-your-face defense often results in high foul numbers. Also, like Louisville, we've been blowing out our opponents, and we all know officials tend to help the team that's getting beat up on a bit (honestly I don't think we beat Gonzaga if the officiating hadn't evened out once they took the lead on us, so it's helped us as well ... although mostly in that it was SO one-sided to that point).

I do mind dumb fouls, though. Fouls from aggression are fine. Dumb fouls need to be eliminated, and we all know we still have some of those.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

There are tons of good stats that are listed here. But I'm a simple man and there are a few that you haven't mentioned (and they may be the most important).
                        WSU/Pitt 73-55
                        WSU/Gonzaga 76-70
                        WSU/LaSalle 72-58
                        WSU/OSU 70-66
                        Gregg Marshall's career wins 333-152

Comment

Working...
                        X