New York Times Predicts Shockers to Win It All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Times Predicts Shockers to Win It All

It's not every day that the world's most widely read newspaper predicts you to win the National Championship.

Speaking of booming foes, Wichita State took out the top two seeds to win the West Region, Gonzaga and Ohio State. This will mark the Shockers’ first Final Four appearance since 1965 and the first time a Missouri Valley Conference team made the national semifinals since Larry Bird led Indiana State in 1979.

Should Wichita State upend Louisville, it would register much shock value. Perhaps, though, it should not. One of the so-called midmajors has advanced to the Final Four in three of the past four seasons, and Butler made the championship game twice.

Wichita State did not luck its way through upsets over the Zags and the Buckeyes. It withstood late runs by both teams, played more physical than both teams and snagged more than 40 offensive rebounds in four tournament contests. Those second chances will keep a team in most games.

Expect to hear a lot about the Shockers’ rebounding prowess this week.

Mostly, though, college basketball fans should expect the most unpredictable of outcomes. That is how this season has unfolded, how this N.C.A.A. tournament has unfolded.

They should expect Florida Gulf Coast to capture the attention of the nation. They should expect Harvard to bludgeon New Mexico. They should expect La Salle, winner of a first-four game earlier in the tournament, to advance to the regional semifinals. They should expect Southern, a No. 16 seed, to challenge Gonzaga.

With that logic as the baseline for a forecast, there is no logic in predicting what will happen on Saturday and Monday in Atlanta. Best guesses are just that.

Thus we present your 2013 N.C.A.A. tournament champion: the Wichita State Shockers.

In this, the strangest of college basketball seasons, that ending would not be strange. It would be fitting.

That's a kissof death IMHO ,, the old Grey lady is ussually far from right and almost always WRONG theses days
    From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

Good God what is wrong with me? I read the NY Times and the Huffington Post all within a 24 hour period....and enjoyed them.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        Good God what is wrong with me? I read the NY Times and the Huffington Post all within a 24 hour period....and enjoyed them.
        Didnt know u could read :smile-new:
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
          Didnt know u could read :smile-new:
          He can, but he really moves his lips alot. Had a great time with you and your wife in LA Shoxlax.

Comment

Hell is freezing over thanks to Gregg Marshall and Global Warming...
            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Greg Bishop has been great throughout our run. I love that he refers to Wu as "our glorious mascot."
              Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Working...
              X