No announcement yet.

Gregg Marshall > Mark Turgeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While we're talking about coaches and such, how many Bluejay butts do you suppose are burnt when they realize Altman's team and Marshall's team are still playing, and "the chosen one" and his pappy are done? That's gotta sting, especially once wookie jr. goes, whether it be this year or next, pappy will not look like nearly as talented a coach.

Comment

Question for those more in the know. Prior to getting the aTm invite from an old buddy to coach, did MT lobby for the HC position at Arkansas, but basically, got his hat thrown back to him?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        Question for those more in the know. Prior to getting the aTm invite from an old buddy to coach, did MT lobby for the HC position at Arkansas, but basically, got his hat thrown back to him?
        'hard to believe that. he finished 6th in the mvc and yet he still somehow got a money invite to texas a&m (who was coming off of a sweet 16 appearance, with much returning no less, personnel wise). wouldn't he have had brown/williams/smith call arkansas up for him?

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO View Post
          Turgeon is, for better or for worse, following the path of his mentor Larry "Jump Ship" Brown. I fully believe that Brown was in Mark's ear big-time during his time here in particular, telling him to get it rolling and then get the hell out. Fortunately, our baseball coach recruited an All-American center for the basketball team, paving Turgeon's road out of town.
          Actually I remember reading an article where Turgeon said that he had pretty much decided to stay and was intent on staying for the long haul but then he spoke to Brown who told him he is coaching to get to "the highest level" and to win championships and that can't happen at Wichita State. Turgeon then shortly decided to go to A&M.

Difference in mentors as Marshall has been quoted as saying Kress and others (his mentors) have told him to coach where you are loved. Hence the fact that he isn't a jumper. I will feel better if UCLA would hurry up and hire a coach. I am still having too much fun with this run to really worry. But hearing Marshall say that he would say UCLA is a top 6 job and one of his good friends is a former Bruins coach who has won a championship didn't make me jump up and down lol.

Oh well. we are doing things I haven't been around to witness at Wichita State before. This is just too much fun to really care right now!!!!!
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Turdgeon left WSU because the cupboard was bare and he was going to get his arse handed back to him whilst trying to rebuild. He is overrated as a coach. I have seen through the years he has gotten better in dealing with the players - more patience a little less fire at critical times.

That being said, there is NO WAY you could compare him to Marshall. Marshall can recruit rings around Turdgeon and if and when he leaves we won't have to suffer through back-to-back 20 loss seasons because he left us with nothing like Turdgeon did.

Comment

One more thing, Turdgeon is trying to position himself for the Duke and UNC jobs when they come open. My bet is that if Marshall went anywhere, he would go to UNC after Roy retires.....

Comment

More on Turgeon

Ironically, Turg didn't inherit much talent when he got to Maryland. We saw that last year at the Honda Classic tournament in Puerto Rico. In fact, we ended up sitting in the Maryland fan section at one of the their games that occurred before a WSU game. At that point, their point guard had a bad foot & was out (although he came back later). The Maryland fans told us that they only had 7 players on scholarship at that point. However, Turg had already lined up a great recruiting class for this year, so they saw hope for the future. Surely, you have noticed the 6-11 to 7 foot frosh center from the Ukraine who was on their team this year.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                  ... I will feel better if UCLA would hurry up and hire a coach.
                  ask and you shall receive

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                    One more thing, Turdgeon is trying to position himself for the Duke and UNC jobs when they come open. My bet is that if Marshall went anywhere, he would go to UNC after Roy retires.....
                    Tar Heel will not go outside the family.

Comment

I disagree with most, if not all, of the negative comments about Coach Turgeon.

His only heart burning behavior for me was his taking of one of our recruits - the big kid from Virginia Beach. He was dead wrong on that decision and perhaps it revealed something about his character.

Even if AD Schaus gave his blessing to the taking, it was still dead wrong.
                      Last edited by Ricardo del Rio; March 30, 2013, 11:45 AM.
                      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Ditto Ricky. I would support MT on just about any and everything but I could never, ever understand or defend the decision to take Denzel Bowles to a&m. It signaled to me that he didn't care much about his wsu legacy because it certainly didn't sit well with those of us who considered ourselves friends and big supporters. It still bothers me years later but I guess I'll focus instead on getting to Staples on time today to cheer us on in the frickin elite 8, a place where mt has not been as a coach (in fact, don't think he's been back to the sweet 16?)
                        Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Once he took that kid, I forgot he ever coached here.

Comment

I'm still patiently waiting for Turd to implode. He's a slippery little fella...

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789 View Post
                              (in fact, don't think he's been back to the sweet 16?)
                              Maybe you should think kind of hard on that.
                              Originally posted by BleacherReport
                              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

I had lots respect for Turgeon, but the guy has a ceiling, and he thinks there is a max success rate at Wichita State and he felt he reached it...he did not capitalize on our Sweet 16 in 2006, and he blamed that not on his ability but our program...that is horse ****, and we all know it and it shows everywhere he goes, Texas AM, and Maryland...Coach Marshall has no ceiling, and even if he leaves, I know its for the right reasons and he wont blame his problems on our program or "this level." Leaving Wichita State for Texas AM is stupid, but it worked out for us in the long run, because we found a coach who fits our "level"

Comment

Working...
                                X