• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
    4-8
    Call me Carnac!!!

Comment

who was the player that followed turgeon?

Comment

Denzel Bowles, who had a decent career at James Madision after hardly sniffing the floor at aTm.
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

ahhh I see.
          Name doesn't ring a bell to me

Comment

Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
            ahhh I see.
            Name doesn't ring a bell to me
            It shouldn't ring a bell to any Shocker fan, just another kid who didn't realize his opportunity.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

To loosely paraphrase the Kennedy's input (RFK and Mike):
                Turgeon sees things as the are and asks why. Marshall sees things that never were and asks why not!

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                  To loosely paraphrase the Kennedy's input (RFK and Mike):
                  Turgeon sees things as the are and asks why. Marshall sees things that never were and asks why not!
                  You have a such a way with words but it sounds familiar.

Comment

At the Sweet Sixteen celebration last Sunday, the crowd started chanting 'Sweet Sixteen! Sweet Sixteen!" Marshall, the cheerleaders and the players chanted back "Final Four! Final Four!"

Does anyone here believe that Turgeon would have started the "Final Four" cheer or participated in it as whole-heartedly, unapologetically and fearlessly as Gregg Marshall did?

Therein lies the difference between the two and is why Marshall has surpassed Turgeon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      To be fair, not a single poster on here wouldn't have done exactly what Turgeon did. Turgeon wasn't making anywhere NEAR what Marshall is making here. Not even close.
                      I don't blame him for leaving. And, quite frankly, HCGM is a better coach, and deserves to be paid more than Turgeon was.

Nevertheless, WSU had the ability to increase Turgeon's pay. For us not to do so says more about him than about us. Obviously it was the right move in the long term. I've got nothing but love for the guy, and I think he did a great job when he was here ... but he also did not do a great job at TA&M, and he has not done a great job at Maryland. Maybe he was the right coach to get WSU back on its feet, but, in the end, too small to get WSU to where we want it to be.

I wish the guy nothing but the best, but he hasn't proven himself capable of coaching beyond the "mid-major" level he thought was beneath him. His 25-12 record is pretty decent this year, but their non-conference schedule this year was laughable and set them up as a paper-tiger going into ACC play, where they were destroyed. I also think it's interesting how empty he left both WSU and Texas A&M and how poorly they performed in their first few years without him ... either he was a much better coach than the guys that replaced him, or he abandons programs when he knows they're about to get a rough patch, mostly due to his recruiting.

I like Turgeon a lot for what he did here, and I hope he has success at Maryland. I also hope he's teaching Matt Brauer well and he'll be able to be a solid coach one day. However, what he did here doesn't mean I'm just going to have a blanket love for him that doesn't logically look at his numbers, especially as a fan of an opposing ACC team. FSU had a pretty bad team this year, and we had no trouble with Maryland. He doesn't scare me at all as an opposing HC.
                      Last edited by Rlh04d; March 29, 2013, 12:21 PM.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Turgeon is, for better or for worse, following the path of his mentor Larry "Jump Ship" Brown. I fully believe that Brown was in Mark's ear big-time during his time here in particular, telling him to get it rolling and then get the hell out. Fortunately, our baseball coach recruited an All-American center for the basketball team, paving Turgeon's road out of town.

Comment

Wow! Turdfin! Long time no miss.

Make no mistake, Jim Schaus resurrected the Shocker basketball program. He piloted the Roundhouse Renaissance, he hired Turd, then he hired HCGM. Schaus made it very clear that he maintains a file on the top up-and-coming coaches at all times in case he needs one for a replacement. Turd was his pick at the moment, and if he wouldn't have worked out, he would have been replaced. ADJS is one of THE most pivotal players in Shocker athletics in the last 40 years.

Turd lost all my respect when he walked to the microphone looking like he was dying of AIDS or having just endured 6 months of chemotherapy. He looked listless, depressed, and beaten as he spoke the words, "I'm staying". It's easy to understand now that all the stress and pain he showed was because he tried like hell to cash out and leave and wasn't given the OKAY by his BCS sponsors. I'm sure he was told that it would be a career ender at OU and he should wait another year. Turd was ready to bail but could not and he was worried that he might be stuck at WSU. He let the whole ordeal drag out casting a pale on the Sweet 16 celebration. The next year he **** the bed in glorious fashion and didn't hang around to change the sheets.

Hail Jim Schaus!

Hail Gregg Marshall!

Tuck Furdgeon! ... you bloody turncoat (and rotten Jayhawk)

T

...:cool:
                          Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; March 29, 2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

A little harsh Cold... but not much.
                            In the fast lane

Comment

I like Turgeon for what he did for the program but Mike Kennedy's description of Turgeon and Marshall is perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                                Wow! Turdfin! Long time no miss.

Make no mistake, Jim Schaus resurrected the Shocker basketball program. He piloted the Roundhouse Renaissance, he hired Turd, then he hired HCGM. Schaus made it very clear that he maintains a file on the top up-and-coming coaches at all times in case he needs one for a replacement. Turd was his pick at the moment, and if he wouldn't have worked out, he would have been replaced. ADJS is one of THE most pivotal players in Shocker athletics in the last 40 years.

Turd lost all my respect when he walked to the microphone looking like he was dying of AIDS or having just endured 6 months of chemotherapy. He looked listless, depressed, and beaten as he spoke the words, "I'm staying". It's easy to understand now that all the stress and pain he showed was because he tried like hell to cash out and leave and wasn't given the OKAY by his BCS sponsors. I'm sure he was told that it would be a career ender at OU and he should wait another year. Turd was ready to bail but could not and he was worried that he might be stuck at WSU. He let the whole ordeal drag out casting a pale on the Sweet 16 celebration. The next year he **** the bed in glorious fashion and didn't hang around to change the sheets.

Hail Jim Schaus!

Hail Gregg Marshall!

Tuck Furdgeon! ... you bloody turncoat (and rotten Jayhawk)

T

...:cool:
                                that's too harsh (although the jim schaus part is exactly right).

but he definitely could have done more at wichita state, turfin. falling from sweet 16 one year to mvc 6th place next year is quite, uhm, inexpicable (somebody else said inexcusable), when returning four starters. what.an.effing.bummer.that.was.turfin. 'set us back again. but he has all the adavantages of the silver spoon, so we know he'll be alright.
                                Last edited by another shocker; March 29, 2013, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X