No announcement yet.

Defining a mid-major

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard somewhere that if you don't field a football team, technically you're a DI-AAA team...
    Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
    Students > Alumni
    If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
    The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow
      I heard somewhere that if you don't field a football team, technically you're a DI-AAA team...

I doubt this is accurate anymore since the NCAA got rid of the 1-A and 1-AA designations.

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow
        Wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyShock
          Originally posted by shockcw
          I get so sick of hearing about Ohio being in the "midwest". That is such crap, has anyone ever looked at a map? If anything they are mid-east, but you never hear that. Sorry I just had to get that off my chest.
          Actually, Ohio technically IS the Midwest. We're not the Midwest, we're the Great Plains. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan are THE Midwest. Everything between the Mississippi River and the Rocky Mountains is the Great Plains. "Midwest" comes from the days when St. Louis really was the western edge of the country. Before the Big 10+1 was the Big 10, they were known as the .... Western Conference.

Practically, I hear you - it's a lot easier for east-coast media to cover Ohio than Kansas, but the term itself is historically valid.

:clap: :wsu_posters: :yahoo: :clap:
          Not that it really makes much difference, but I think that sometimes the Great Plains states are treated as a subset of the Midwest. I have seen Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakotas inlcuded in the Midwest.

For example:

I have also seen it listed without the Great Plains states:

Generally, though it is not uncommon to hear people from Kansas and Nebraska referred to as Midwesterners. You rarely hear us referred to as Great Plainsman.

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929
            Here's an idea: Instead of calling conferences like the Valley, A-10 and CUSA "Mid-majors," why don't we just call them "non-BCS conferences" or "non-power conferences." Then we wouldn't have this stupid discussion each year.

:good:

Not to be "politcally correct" because, God knows, I am certainly not, but why do we have to call them anything at all? Why not just the Missouri Valley? Who decided there needed to be some kind of "equal but separate" classification???

Comment

Because the BCS schools and their media lapdogs want to keep it a "members only" club, even though they don't get that March Madness would be terribly boring if it only included the BCS schools.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Here's an idea: Instead of calling conferences like the Valley, A-10 and CUSA "Mid-majors," why don't we just call them "non-BCS conferences" or "non-power conferences." Then we wouldn't have this stupid discussion each year. :good:

I have no problem with the Valley being referred to as a "non-BCS conference," but I find it totally unacceptable to being referred to as a "non-power conference?"

That really has the ring of a complete "putdown!"

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
                  Here's an idea: Instead of calling conferences like the Valley, A-10 and CUSA "Mid-majors," why don't we just call them "non-BCS conferences" or "non-power conferences." Then we wouldn't have this stupid discussion each year. :good:

I have no problem with the Valley being referred to as a "non-BCS conference," but I find it totally unacceptable to being referred to as a "non-power conference?"

That really has the ring of a complete "putdown!"

Yea, right after I typed "non-power conference" in I really didn't like it, but I left it in anyway. Laziness at its best. :good:
                  "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                  -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                    Here's an idea: Instead of calling conferences like the Valley, A-10 and CUSA "Mid-majors," why don't we just call them "non-BCS conferences" or "non-power conferences." Then we wouldn't have this stupid discussion each year.

:good:

Not to be "politcally correct" because, God knows, I am certainly not, but why do we have to call them anything at all? Why not just the Missouri Valley? Who decided there needed to be some kind of "equal but separate" classification???
                    Because that would be too simple! We have to make this as hard as possible so that we may discuss it Ad nauseam! God knows I love discussing this each year whenever someone asks Jay Bilas who he thinks is or is not a mid-major. 8)
                    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                    X