Swept by Evansville and Not Healing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swept by Evansville and Not Healing

It's been almost a week now and I am finally able to face what happened at Koch Arena last Wednesday night. This was perhaps the biggest @#%-up in Shocker basketball history over the last 20 years. I would almost compare it to Randy Burns holding the ball between his legs in the corner causing a jump ball, turnover, and eventual loss.

You DON'T get swept by a DII basketball program, and you especially don't do it on Senior night. Okay, I'm starting to get angry again.. perhaps it was too soon to start posting again. Hell, I don't even know what happened at Rent-a-BJ last Saturday other than we lost. The only thing that would erase the sting out of the Evansville sweep would be an Elite Eight run or greater. Do you realize we are the only team in the MVC that got swept by Evansville? And we were swept on a night that could have locked up a season championship.

There is no excuse for what happened and my written words are only making me angry with unfulfillment. Every time I think about last Wednesday I want to break something. We spend over 23 million dollars on athletics at WSU. Contributions have nearly reached 9 million recently. Our ticket sales alone are over 4 million a year. Our coach is nearing 1.6 million dollars a year, Marty Simmons "hauls" home 180k. We recruit BCS players, they recruit mid-major leftovers.

HOW THE @#$@# DO WE GET SWEPT BY EVANSVILLE??!!

T

...:disgust:

Other than to vent because you are so emotional you can't think straight, your point?

Comment

You come in to the game unprepared, uninspired, and feeling entitled...that's how you lose to Evansville twice in one season. You don't respect your opponent and they make you pay.

Having said that...it's over and done. Time to move onward and upward. There are still many things to play for this season for the Shockers.
      "I discovered surfing, which I absolutely fell in love with. That feels good and kind of keeps your body aligned, so does the salt water." - Anthony Kiedis

"I'm not worried. Are you worried? You shouldn't be. Sleep well tonight. "

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
        Other than to vent because you are so emotional you can't think straight, your point?
        Hi there.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaulding View Post
          You come in to the game unprepared, uninspired, and feeling entitled...that's how you lose to Evansville twice in one season. You don't respect your opponent and they make you pay.
          That's rediculous and insulting to players who busted their butts to get to where they are.

Comment

Amnesia, forget it. Move on, if we get 'em again, then we'll see, but they're going to have to get past Dougie and company first. Yeah it sucked, but their coach was very adept at exploiting our weaknesses. If we get them again, we need to exert our will, run and gun, and we'll win. Let them slow it down and grind it out, we'll have a more difficult time.

Comment

LOL insulting to the players .. who will never read this board?!? They hear worse from Coach Marshall everyday.
              Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                It's been almost a week now and I am finally able to face what happened at Koch Arena last Wednesday night. This was perhaps the biggest @#%-up in Shocker basketball history over the last 20 years. I would almost compare it to Randy Burns holding the ball between his legs in the corner causing a jump ball, turnover, and eventual loss.

You DON'T get swept by a DII basketball program, and you especially don't do it on Senior night. Okay, I'm starting to get angry again.. perhaps it was too soon to start posting again. Hell, I don't even know what happened at Rent-a-BJ last Saturday other than we lost. The only thing that would erase the sting out of the Evansville sweep would be an Elite Eight run or greater. Do you realize we are the only team in the MVC that got swept by Evansville? And we were swept on a night that could have locked up a season championship.

There is no excuse for what happened and my written words are only making me angry with unfulfillment. Every time I think about last Wednesday I want to break something. We spend over 23 million dollars on athletics at WSU. Contributions have nearly reached 9 million recently. Our ticket sales alone are over 4 million a year. Our coach is nearing 1.6 million dollars a year, Marty Simmons "hauls" home 180k. We recruit BCS players, they recruit mid-major leftovers.

HOW THE @#$@# DO WE GET SWEPT BY EVANSVILLE??!!

T

...:disgust:
                Cold,

Why didn't you vent on this topic in my thread asking if we were the Texas of the MVC? It was exactly how I was feeling at the time.

Comment

That's rediculous and insulting to players who busted their butts to get to where they are.
                  That's your opinion and that is fine. I never said they hadn't worked hard or accomplished a lot. I just don't see any other way to describe losing to Evansville AT HOME, much less on the road too. In my opinion the team was unprepared for that game and they were not valuing the opponent. I am open to hearing your opinion of what happened.
                  "I discovered surfing, which I absolutely fell in love with. That feels good and kind of keeps your body aligned, so does the salt water." - Anthony Kiedis

"I'm not worried. Are you worried? You shouldn't be. Sleep well tonight. "

Comment

It will be hard to forget, mostly because of the chance to clinch on senior night, but we don't need an elite 8 run or better to compensate--that is crazy talk. Winning St. Louis or winning one game in the NCAA will wash the taste out nicely should we pull either off.
                    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

He's baaaaaaack.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                        Cold,

Why didn't you vent on this topic in my thread asking if we were the Texas of the MVC? It was exactly how I was feeling at the time.
                        Sorry bro, I had taken a vacation from the forums. If I had participated in the forum last week, I probably would have gotten myself banned. Being the only team in the MVC to get swept by Evansville just will not digest with me. I don't even see how it is possible. KU gets whipped by TCU and then steps on their throat in the return game. That is exactly how our second meeting with Evansville... on senior night... should have went down. I was in no way prepared for this loss. I would have given Evansville a 1-100 chance of beating us last Wednesday.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                          It will be hard to forget, mostly because of the chance to clinch on senior night, but we don't need an elite 8 run or better to compensate--that is crazy talk. Winning St. Louis or winning one game in the NCAA will wash the taste out nicely should we pull either off.
                          That's just how I am. It's hard for me to tolerate huge mistakes in my life so it is natural that I find it hard to tolerate the same in my Shocks. And make no mistake, last Wednesday was a HUGE mistake. This was supposed to be a celebration for the seniors, their parents, the fans, and the coaching staff for a season well done. Instead it turned into a disaster. In fact, had we won on a last second buzzer-beater, I still would have been pissed because we should have pummeled them.

There is no aspect in which the Evansville program even appears in the rearview mirror of the Shocker program...... excluding the final score both times we faced each other this year. That is absolutely unacceptable under any circumstance.

It was too early for me to come back.. I am still ****ing hot!

T

...:cool:

Comment

Effort, preparation, desire, etc can only take you so far. I think back to the play late in the 2nd half where Armstead took a 3 (and missed), Cotton rebounded and took a 5 foot floater (and missed), the ball got knocked out to Early for a wide open jumper (and he missed), Cotton rebounded and got fouled (missed the shot), then Cotton went to the line and took 2 FTs (missed them both).

The effort was there. The desire was there. The shooting was atrocious. Sure the Shox could have done some things better, but in the end it was absolutely ice cold shooting that doomed the Shockers. 1 for their last 13 to finish the game! Had they hit a few more shots we would have instead been talking about their will to win and ability to overcome Evansville's 7 of 10 from 3 in the first half.

The evaluation of effort, desire, and will to win is grossly overanalyzed by fans. We give too much credit for these qualities to players who simply had a hot shooting night and we throw too much criticism on players when they shoot poorly.

Comment

I'm surprised you didn't get banned the week before, Cold.

At least you can't blame the E'ville game on Jake..........

Comment

Working...
                              X