Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Should be the Shocker on MVC 1st Team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Should be the Shocker on MVC 1st Team?

Early

Armstead

Hall
    Early
    24.14%
    Armstead
    31.03%
    Hall
    44.83%

The poll is expired.

Don't think we will have one.

Comment

Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
      Don't think we will have one.
      Me either

Comment

argument for hall but early doesn't even start for us and MA's game is to up and down

Comment

We have the same problem we have every year; guys that come off our bench would star at other Valley schools.

A commitment to defense with a balanced motion offense, and a deep bench, is not going to get individual players recognized.
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

Early still gets starter minutes even if he's not on the court at the beginning of the game. Hall would have been first team if he never got hurt. Missing over a fourth of the conference games should be taken into account.

Comment

here is my take on early. 1) like MA he is just to inconsistent 2) he is not an
              effective PF for several reasons. he is not a good defensive rebounder, he does
              not play good enough D, and he lacks the physicality for a PF. 3) yes, he is
              athletic and plays well at SF when his shot is on but again is a mediocre
              defensive player there, at best. in addition, with his height and length he
              should be able to see our post players when they post up and make good entry
              passes to them from the wings/corners but he has very few assists. he is a guy
              with alot of upside if he improves his court vision, defense, and interior passing.
              just because a guy averages 15-18 points a game does NOT make him a good
              basketball player.

Comment

Originally posted by garylee View Post
                here is my take on early. 1) like MA he is just to inconsistent 2) he is not an
                effective PF for several reasons. he is not a good defensive rebounder, he does
                not play good enough D, and he lacks the physicality for a PF. 3) yes, he is
                athletic and plays well at SF when his shot is on but again is a mediocre
                defensive player there, at best. in addition, with his height and length he
                should be able to see our post players when they post up and make good entry
                passes to them from the wings/corners but he has very few assists. he is a guy
                with alot of upside if he improves his court vision, defense, and interior passing.
                just because a guy averages 15-18 points a game does NOT make him a good
                basketball player.
                Early has only had 4 games with under 10 points. Three of those came before he was a starter and got limited minutes. He's our most used player and one of our most efficient players. That's a rare feat. He's not a bad defensive rebounder and he's a good offensive rebounder. For this team to succeed, offensive rebounding is extremely important. As for the defense, he was part of a rotation with Hall and Cotton that coach Marshall used to guard McDermott. The team never has to make an extra effort to hide him on defense. Sometimes we get spoiled because we compare our post defenders to Orupke and our perimeter defenders to Cotton. This is a team full of good defenders and I don't think voters should look at that as a knock on any of our players like they should with McDermott. I agree with you about the passing. Early gets the ball and looks to score. Occasionally hitting another open player would make him much more dangerous.

Comment

I don't think #11 is worthy of post-season consideration on any all-conference teams. Perhaps he might be a good 6th man or newcomer choice.

I am dissapointed with his lack of effort on D, committing dumb fouls (in the backcourt in front of the ref several times, including the Northern Iowa game when it was his 5th foul late in the game) and focus on himself (I think I saw Marshall really tear in to him during a TV timeout in the Evansville game).

He does have NBA-level offensive talent, I just expected a more complete package. I think Carl was much better at making the transition his junior year and had the focus to turn himself into a really complete player. I'm not sure that Early has that focus and desire to work on being a more complete player.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                    I don't think #11 is worthy of post-season consideration on any all-conference teams. Perhaps he might be a good 6th man or newcomer choice.

I am dissapointed with his lack of effort on D, committing dumb fouls (in the backcourt in front of the ref several times, including the Northern Iowa game when it was his 5th foul late in the game) and focus on himself (I think I saw Marshall really tear in to him during a TV timeout in the Evansville game).

He does have NBA-level offensive talent, I just expected a more complete package. I think Carl was much better at making the transition his junior year and had the focus to turn himself into a really complete player. I'm not sure that Early has that focus and desire to work on being a more complete player.
                    Honestly, I don't expect Cle' to make 1st team All Valley. Not considering him worthy of any post-season consideration is taking it too far. Try to fill out a 1st, 2nd and 3rd team without including Early. After Carmichael, McDermott, Hall and Echenique it gets really bad really fast for post players.

Comment

cle is a nice offensive player but, imho, won't even be a consideration for first team next
                      year or an nba prospect if he doesn't become a more complete player. he averages .65
                      assists a game. that is terrible and one of the reasons our offense stagnates. i might
                      add that wiggins has the same problems. they both have the protoype size, offensive
                      skills and POTENTIAL to be outstanding players but both hardly see the court and their
                      teammates at all. i certainly hope they both become more complete team players willing
                      to rebound and play both ends of the court next season. if they don't they might not
                      even make OUR starting five.
                      Last edited by garylee; March 1, 2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Wiggins' time has been limited but yet some of the best passes to the interior that I can remember have been made by him.
                        In the fast lane

Comment

Honestly, I couldn't care less. I want the team to win tomorrow, period. I would trade ANYTHING for a win tomorrow.

And Cle is the Newcomer of the Year. WSU is the Defensive Team of the Year (again).

1st Team is Carmichael, Ryan, McDermott and I don't know. Odum probably gets it, but I disagree. After that it's a crap shoot but I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                            Wiggins' time has been limited but yet some of the best passes to the interior that I can remember have been made by him.
                            10 assists in 416 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by garylee View Post
                              cle is a nice offensive player but, imho, won't even be a consideration for first team next
                              year or an nba prospect if he doesn't become a more complete player. he averages 1.0
                              assists a game. that is terrible and one of the reasons our offense stagnates. i might
                              add that wiggins has the same problems. they both have the protoype size, offensive
                              skills and POTENTIAL to be outstanding players but both hardly see the court and their
                              teammates at all. i certainly hope they both become more complete team players willing
                              to rebound and play both ends of the court next season. if they don't they might not
                              even make OUR starting five.
                              Don't single out Early alone for a lack of sharing the ball. He's ahead of Hall, Orupke, White and Wiggins in assists per minute. Considering he played 95% of his minutes at the 4, there's an argument to be made that he's our best post passer. I guarantee he's going to be starting next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X