The last shot...Carl?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last shot...Carl?!?

Adam Knapp with another write-up about the Shox, and why Carl took the last shot.

Obviously, you don't want Carl taking that last shot. Perhaps what's kind of ironic though is that it came much closer to going in than did any of the other 14 missed treys that were launched last night by our "shooters".

Comment

Unfortunately it reminds me of how the season ended last year. We had some GREAT 3 point shooters on that team...Ben, Toure, David, etc... And it is our 7 foot center that ends up taking the shot to try to send the game to OT. Seems to me that the coaches should be able to draw up a play that could get a "Shooter" open!!!

Comment

At least Stutz was a legit threat from three. Hall isn't. And I would never call Toure' a GREAT three point shooter.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

My point was, neither of them is who you want to take the last shot. Last year, the 5 that were on the floor at the end of the VCU game had 59, 56, 55, 16 and 10 three pointers made on the year. And of course, it was Stutz that had the 10...he was the last option. Last night, obviously, Hall is not even the last option, he should have been NO option. It's head scratching that a play can't be drawn up to get a good shooter open.

Comment

I was already worried when I noticed Cotton was the inbounds guy. He was the only one with a decent shot that night. But he couldn't take it because he was throwing it in! Now that should be something that shouldn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
              I was already worried when I noticed Cotton was the inbounds guy. He was the only one with a decent shot that night. But he couldn't take it because he was throwing it in! Now that should be something that shouldn't happen.
              You must not have read the article.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Carl should have never been on the floor.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by hardyhar View Post
                  Unfortunately it reminds me of how the season ended last year. We had some GREAT 3 point shooters on that team...Ben, Toure, David, etc... And it is our 7 foot center that ends up taking the shot to try to send the game to OT. Seems to me that the coaches should be able to draw up a play that could get a "Shooter" open!!!
                  Illinois State and VCU. Missouri State at Koch in 2011.

We need to draw up better plays when down 3 in the final seconds of games. For how good Marshall is drawing up plays out of timeouts in normal game situations, he has not done well in these specific situations. Absolutely mind-numbing.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It was an awful play call for many reasons in my eyes:

1) Carl should have NEVER been on the floor.
                    2) If you run a play for Cotton, he shouldn't be the inbounds guy trying to get open AFTER he throws it in. That wastes precious time. And when you only have 4.7 seconds left, time is valuable.
                    3) There was ONE option: Get the ball from Cotton to Carl and back to Cotton. There was no secondary option if Cotton wasn't open. And, in my opinion, if you give the ball to your 6'8" PF who has no shot outside 9 feet and you need a 3, you need another emergency option in case the first one goes badly.
                    4) The ball should have never gone to Carl as the first option. If Carl is going to be in there, he needs to be setting a pick on a guy. He's 240lbs, he should be setting screens to get guys open. Not making the final pass.

Marshall can blame the final play on Cotton "not getting open in time", but it was his poor play drawing that needs to be blamed.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

We need to draw up better plays when down 3 in the final seconds of games. For how good Marshall is drawing up plays out of timeouts in normal game situations, he has not done well in these specific situations. Absolutely mind-numbing.
                      Down 3 with seconds remaining is a situation where the team down 3 loses 93-94% of the time. It's tough to get a good shooter open when the defense knows that you need a 3 and can sell out to stop that from happening. The play call with 20 seconds left troubles me more. No chance for a quick 2. No real movement for 10 seconds.

Comment

Accidental double post
                        Last edited by Shockeriffic; February 28, 2013, 03:22 PM. Reason: Internet messed up

Comment

Carl should have been doing nothing except setting a screen for Cle or Armstead. Period. 4.7 seconds. All you want to do is the get the ball in the hands of a shooter. We had a play drawn up to execute 2 passes, with one of our lower percentage guys taking the 3 (Cotton). That is really lousy planning.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You deserve half of the box of Girl Scout cookies I am eating right now. I love Marshall's creativity with quality set pieces out of time out's, but he is horrible in getting it right at the end of halves. How many times have we had the ball late in the first half and see our 5 swing and miss at execution. Last night's play was inexcusable. Draw up a play with option A, B and maybe even C. Coach players on making their cuts and screens sharp and timely. This is on Marshall...period. I love him as our coach, so don't consider this opinion to be hating. Marshall has to coach better.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              You must not have read the article.
                              Now I did and I understand. However, I was still worried when I saw it in person...

Comment

Working...
                              X