Is SIU fun to watch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocklight
    Sub, how is it you "enjoy" watching siu. Granted they have a style that wins. But, a rugby game is played outdoors. This THUG BASKETBALL is just plain ugly and boring in everyway.

I thank God (not subgod) that I don't have to spend my hard earned season ticket money on thug ball.

Please don't think I attacking you, I agree with 99% of your posts. Just the enjoy comment doesn't sit well with me. Respect them, well I'm working on that.

Sorry I'm still pissed by the way we played.

One other point, this is not directed at sub, but to everyone that reads this.

When Dunegal was at Ill. St. everyone in the league complained about his style of roughneck ball and when Randy Smithson was here, the league used to complain about his hack-a-rama ball. The officals constantly and rightfully rang us up for fouls. MT's first year, he had to change the leagues and officals view of WSU.

Why does this not apply to siu and Coach Thug Lowry? (and the excuse they get called for fouls, is lame, when they foul so much that the officals will only call one third of the fouls, so they don't have to stop play, on every play)

Finally, I think when we play siu, we should send a few guys in to retalliate with in the frameworks of the game. What will happen is the officals will have to get a hold on the game and that will take thug u. out of their game.
    I never once said I enjoy watching them.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think that virtually everone on this board agrees that SIU-ball is no fun to watch-especially when the Shocks are playing them, Uuugh!

But, I have to admit that what they do - they do with efficiency and am looking forward to seeing how Butler fairs against them in the BB game.

Comment

I agree that they have mastered a system that gets them a "w" more times than not. And they have scoreboard(5 straight years to the ncaa). I think Butler has the same type of defense SIU does so it will be interesting to see what SIU can do. And I must admit I do enjoy it when SIU plays a "big boy" school that has not seen their style of play before, watching the opponents players and coaches can be quite humerous.
        Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
        Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Yes, winning is fun to watch.

Comment

Hi Shoxs fan,

Sometimes I monitor different Valley forums just to keep informed what the other side says regarding SIU basketball. Sometimes its hilarious and other times well lets say, we sometimes put emotional blinders on put on what we want to see.

Our defense is smash-mouth in your face. Its something we are very proud of and to all MVC fans its nothing new.

SIU IS NOT A HIGH SCORING OFFENSE. To adjust to that fact, we have to play hard nose defense to compensate. On a national level, we are usually in the top 10 in the nation consistently. We make teams play to our level, with that result, you will get low scoring games. Lets be honest, Defense wins games. Yes, it can be ugly if you are the type of team that plays high tempo scoring offense. Lots of points mean a lot of plays which excites fans. Your team and a lot of other teams are high scoring teams. SIU cannot win those battles and thats a fact. You know what its ugly is watching our offense. We cringe everytime we have to watch the shot clock go down to the last second and watch painfully if it goes in or not.

We dont apologize the way we play. It is our style. If teams like yours cannot adjust, you will lose. The thing of beauty is when we play teams and cause havoc and we are able to actually put points on the board too. We get a lot of ticky tacky fouls called on because the way we play. A lot of times our bigs/guards do get into foul trouble and foul out of the games.

Take the time and check our stats on the Foul ratio of the opposing teams. We do get a lot of fouls called on us, but we accept the fact because the way we play.

When we lose, we like blame the refs...I dont think its any different for any team that loses. Most of the time the refs get the brunt of the reason why you lose. Its upto to the coach and players to adjust to their style of calls.

Call what you want...i.e. THUG ball. If it was the other way around, WSU playing that type of ball, maybe we might say the same. SIU tries to adapt to the refs, if refs dont call a close game, SIU is instoppable. If the refs, call it close, its not good for us.

Be proud what the MVC has to offer in terms of basketball play. During season play, we may hate each other because its fun and that is college sports. But when it comes to post season play i.e. NCAA basketball tourney, we will root for who ever gets in.

BTW, in regards about that hard contact in Brauer (sp)/ Falker, we had a long discussion about it in our forum. If you go back and look at the play and look with it with some objectivity you will know what it is. Refs may have missed the call, but both players were out of control going down. It was very unfortunate to see how it happened. We hope nothing long term comes about. Refs miss calls and sometimes it may be obvious but they are human too.

Sorry for the long post and heres to MVC basketball and wish all the teams the best of luck...except when you meet us.

Comment

Originally posted by chazter6_SIU
              Hi Shoxs fan,
              All I hear is Blah, Blah, Blah.

SIU play is boring, but it's a necessity since they have no offense and have to make the game ugly.

Real Refs + Zone D = SIU One and Done in March

Comment

Who were the 11 people that voted yes? I saw two posts from SIU people, so where were the other 9?

Comment

I didnt vote

Comment

When SIU is hitting shots AND playing defense, they're fun to watch.

Agreed on the zone thing. So, why didn't the coaching staff make some kind of adjustment in the game earlier? Be it press or zone, do something to shake things up, and give it more than one sequence to see if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker
                      Agreed on the zone thing. So, why didn't the coaching staff make some kind of adjustment in the game earlier? Be it press or zone, do something to shake things up, and give it more than one sequence to see if it works.
                      I think that's what everyone's wondering. Last night on the coach's show MT said "fool's gold - that's not who we are." Well if he strictly wants to stick to the plan - 40 minutes of solid man and deliberate motion offense -then he's got some recruiting to do. Becuase I just don't think we have the personnel to dictate these terms to the opposition.

Comment

Hi Shoxs fan,
                        So, did you vote yes or no?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
                          Hi Shoxs fan,
                          I voted Yes. I like the way we play defense. I hate our offense sets though. We can look down right painful to watch when our options are limited.

The other zone defense usually throws us off. Lately we have been better about it but not comfortable to watch IMO.

Comment

Hi Shoxs fan,
                            I voted Yes. I like the way we play defense. I hate our offense sets though. We can look down right painful to watch when our options are limited.

The other zone defense usually throws us off. Lately we have been better about it but not comfortable to watch IMO.
                            SIU goes through offensive stretches were they are very good or very bad. There never is a middle ground it seems like. But the formula gets the job done, cannot argue with that.

Ok I am done posting on your board.
                            Good luck until we play you in the MVC tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by SiuCubFan8
                              Hi Shoxs fan,

SIU goes through offensive stretches were they are very good or very bad. There never is a middle ground it seems like. But the formula gets the job done, cannot argue with that.

Ok I am done posting on your board.
                              Good luck until we play you in the MVC tournament.
                              Unfortunately for us, SIU picked a time to shoot "very good" in the 1st half with 63%. In conjunction with the "in your face" D, it's no wonder we were down 13 at the break. :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                                Who were the 11 people that voted yes? I saw two posts from SIU people, so where were the other 9?
                                I voted yes and im a shocker fan. I explained in a previous post in this thread if your wondering why.

Comment

Working...
                                X