how...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how...

does louisiana tech get more respect than us.?. granted they are 23-3.. but only seven of those wins have come against competition with a winning record.

Cause a lot of people (voters) don't "think".
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Yup, their loss to McNesse St (250s RPI) was a stinker, not to mention their 172 SOS is the worst in the Top 50 RPI by almost 50 spots.

They probably won't stay there long. They've got Utah St at home and Denver and NM St on the road.

Comment

Don't want to be in the top 25. Just outside. Let's just take care of business between now and the dance, then make our noise there. Final poll is all that counts... We just need to avoid the 8-9 seeding in the tourney if possible...
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I agree, don't want to be ranked.. Would rather be snubbed by the rankings to give us some motivation to make sure we don't get snubbed by the people that matter.

Comment

24-5 doesn't get you in Top-25????? Puh-lease....voters should be ashamed of themselves. Akron????? Seriously???? They lost to both Creighton and Detroit for God's sake!!!!! I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure the Shockers beat both of those teams!!!!! Wahtever...Lol
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

We'll be back in if we take care of business this week.

Comment

I ALWAYS want to be ranked.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

By now you should all know how the polls work. And it's why they have no bearing on those who evaluate teams objectively (selection committee). Poll voters see their gawdy record and 16-game win streak and think, wow, they must be playing good ball right now. The SC will look at their dance card and think "only 3 top-100 wins and a loss to #243? Non-conf SoS of 234? No top 100 wins since December? I don't think so."

Comment

I also want to always be ranked.

But at the same time Im not going to sweat too much about not being ranked.. Or losses.. not my job to do so.

Comment

Nearly every time we have been ranked this year we have done something stupid on the hardwood. If we get ranked again this would be the third time we regain a ranking in the poll would it not? At some point people just start giving up on you.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Think with the perspective of a AP voter. You don't follow every team, especially not teams from the Missouri Valley. At the beginning of the season, you knew a little bit about Creighton and this kid named Doug McDermott, but probably didn't know anything else about the MVC.

Around Week 5, you notice that another team from the Missouri Valley is doing well. They have a win against VCU, who you have heard of, and they haven't been defeated. You decide to vote for them, and begin to pay attention to them. They immediately lose, so you guess they must be overrated.

At Week 9, you notice that Wichita State has gone 14-1, and a lot of those guys have been with the team down three starters. Maybe you overreacted that first time, and besides which it they have a great story going. Again, you vote for them and start attention. And they go out and lose to Evansville, who have never heard of. You immediately begin to think that they might truly be overrated.

Now, it is around Week 12. Wichita State has the most wins in the nation, and has just beaten Creighton, the MVC team you HAVE heard of. Maybe you have some misgivings because they have burned you twice, but they are such a great story and have just gotten a great win on national TV. It looks like they have a bunch of easy games against teams you haven't heard of, so you are pretty confident giving them a high vote this time. Wichita State then goes and loses three in a row. This makes you look silly, and you know they must be overrated. You won't easily give them a vote again.

Now it is Week 17. You know Wichita has won five straight games, but you aren't willing to vote for them because they keep burning you. And here come Louisiana Tech, with a nice shiny 24-3 record. You know they've won 16 straight games, so it doesn't look like they are going to burn you.

Who are you going to vote for?

Comment

Trying not to be hypocritical, a team with a 24-3 record, even playing a shitty schedule, is probably pretty decent, if not good. They really can't help the fact they play in a shitty conference and probably didn't expect this type of season so scheduling was likely an afterthought. That loss to McNeese State though seems unforgivable. They haven't really played anybody but they are winning games. They deserve some credit. I'm sure BCS elites think the same way about us when we're clamoring for respect.

With that said, like Sub state, you take the ranking whenever you can get it. A no-brainer.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I don't care about rankings, I care about seedings.

Comment

Working...
                            X