Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU VS. DETROIT Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Here are the StatSheet comparative stats

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

"Upset Prediction For This Week
    By Andy Katz

Detroit over Wichita State, Saturday: The Shockers need this game, but Detroit could make the selection committee pause about its candidacy with a BracketBuster weekend win at Wichita State. The Titans have been on a roll of late and will have the best player on the court in Ray McCallum Jr."

Comment

I think he will be proven very wrong after saturday.

Comment

I expect a higher than avg. offensive output for the Shocks. Detroit will score too but probably hasn't faced a defense as good as the Shocks.

82-68 good guys!
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Should be a fun game to watch.

WSU 79
          Detroit 66

Comment

good ole andy katz. where was he about george mason and vcu?

shockers + this time.

Comment

I think he called Davidson in an upset last year too.

Comment

Here's the deal. This will indeed be a very tough game and I agree that Detroit has a talented team and several solid players and 1 player has been said to have NBA potential. However, that part about them upsetting us will not grow wings. The Shocks are like the "Big Bad Wolf" now and we plan on huffing and puffing and playing MTXE angry. GRRRRRR!!!

Now when I say "we", I am not speaking of our SN Dweem Team but rather our Shockers in whom are having a Season to remember. Our Shocks have always been "we" to "me" and that will never change in the little world I live in. Yes, I am guilty of being a "forever passionate Shocker eternal optimist zealot fan" and that will continue no matter what happens from here. Our Shocks really could use this win and don't plan on no mo stinkin upsets in our House Of Shock" this Season. That nonsense is as rare as pulling hens teeth.

Valley Of Shock Team at 21st and Hillside---------- 77

Motown Detroit Titans----------------------------- 70
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

With all the snow predicted for the Wichita area, do you think there is a chance that the game could be cancelled because Detroit can't fly into ICT?

Comment

Detroit is east of the turnpike, so..........yeah

Comment

When we are ahead, I thoroughly hate the last two minutes of BB when it boils down to fouling and shooting FT's.

So I'm pulling for a nice, safe cushion of about 15 points or more.

Wichita - 78

Detroit City - 62

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                        I expect a higher than avg. offensive output for the Shocks. Detroit will score too but probably hasn't faced a defense as good as the Shocks.

82-68 good guys!
                        As a Titan fan, I'll say I think the Shocks will win. But the Horizon League is a defensive conference. Horizon conference play is really built around fundamentals. Teams play good defense, and 5 of the top 75 teams in the country in scoring defense are among the Horizon's 9 teams. Besides the Horizon teams, Detroit this year has played Miami, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh, which are all in the top 30 nationally in scoring defense. Wichita has a lot of size and blocks lots of shots, but the Titans in the last 12 months have played 7 games against teams in the top 12 in the nation in blocked shots (St. Johns, Kansas, Akron, Syracuse, and 3 against Youngstown State).

Besides defense, the Horizon is known for point guards. There are lots of good point guards in the Horizon, so that turnovers are low. Teams tend to be very good foul shooting teams (4 of the top 56 teams in the country right now).

Detroit is an unusual Horizon team in that it relies much more on pure athleticism, and a gambling, high risk defense that forces lots of turnovers but also gives up lots of easy buckets. Detroit can be awesome in transition. http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...of-the-night-2 (by the way, ESPN has it wrong in this clip - Detroit's 2 guard, Jason Calliste, not Ray McCallum, is the guard passing to Anderson.) With McCallum at the point, Detroit does handle the ball very well, with one of the country's lowest turnover rates, and one of the best turnover margins. But the Titans are prone to big defensive lapses, and now and then go into these offensive funks where everyone stands around.

I think Detroit will have real trouble with Hall and Early when the Shockers have the ball, especially if your guards can hit a couple three early. And Wichita's defense will likely keep Detroit below its season average in points, just as Syracuse, Pitt, and Miami did. But Detroit scored more than most opponents against all of those teams. They've seen defenses as good as Wichita's and they'll put point on the board.
                        Last edited by Commish; February 20, 2013, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Commish View Post
                          As a Titan fan, I'll say I think the Shocks will win. But the Horizon League is a defensive conference. Horizon conference play is really built around fundamentals. Teams play good defense, and 4 of the top 75 teams in the country in scoring defense are among the Horizon's 9 teams. Besides the Horizon teams, Detroit this year has played Miami, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh, which are all in the top 30 nationally in scoring defense. Wichita has a lot of size and blocks lots of shots, but the Titans in the last 12 months have played 7 games against teams in the top 12 in the nation in blocked shots (St. Johns, Kansas, Akron, Syracuse, and 3 against Youngstown State).

Besides defense, the Horizon is known for point guards. There are lots of good point guards in the Horizon, so that turnovers are low. Teams tend to be very good foul shooting teams (4 of the top 56 teams in the country right now).

Detroit is an unusual Horizon team in that it relies much more on pure athleticism, and a gambling, high risk defense that forces lots of turnovers but also gives up lots of easy buckets. Detroit can be awesome in transition. http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...of-the-night-2 (by the way, ESPN has it wrong in this clip - Detroit's 2 guard, Jason Calliste, not Ray McCallum, is the guard passing to Anderson.) With McCallum at the point, Detroit does handle the ball very well, with one of the country's lowest turnover rates, and one of the best turnover margins. But the Titans are prone to big defensive lapses, and now and then go into these offensive funks where everyone stands around.

I think Detroit will have real trouble with Hall and Early when the Shockers have the ball, especially if your guards can hit a couple three early. And Wichita's defense will likely keep Detroit below its season average in points, just as Syracuse, Pitt, and Miami did. But Detroit scored more than most opponents against all of those teams. They've seen defenses as good as Wichita's and they'll put point on the board.
                          i don't know, man.. shocker d was outta sight last night- help on top of help.

Comment

Should be a good game. For all the negatives of BracketBusters, I still think it's a great idea when we actually get good teams out of it where either of us would strongly contribute to the other's tournament resume. I just wish it was limited to top 100 RPI teams.

Haven't seen Detroit play yet this season, so who knows. Stats wise, it looks like they're stronger offensively, and we're stronger defensively. We've done pretty well enforcing our will on Creighton the last few seasons in similar situations.

Hope it's a great, close game that has me biting my fingernails to the end. If we control the flow of the game and keep things low scoring, I think we're pretty well set. High scoring game could easily go against us.

We've only lost one home game all season, though, and I don't expect this to be #2 :)
                            Last edited by Rlh04d; February 20, 2013, 11:45 PM.
                            Originally posted by BleacherReport
                            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

78 to 73 Shockers
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                              X