Have we heard from ShockRef yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have we heard from ShockRef yet?

Would love to get his take on all of the happenings yesterday. I'm sure it will be good, especially if he was in attendance.

Pardon me if his response is buried somewhere in the other threads and if so, please enlighten.

John Blazek, GM of the Wild, is also supervisor of officials for the Jayhawk Conference and will occasionally evaluate refs for the Valley. He said the whole situation was handled pretty well by the crew.

Comment

ShockRef did say something through RefChick on the game thread.

I bet Janssen feels bad for not making the call when it happened, but after that, the officials did a good job of getting things taken care of.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

They got the wrong FT shooter. That's inexcusable. The flagrant call was the right call, but the fact that they put Early on the line and not Cotton is really a bummer.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
          They got the wrong FT shooter. That's inexcusable. The flagrant call was the right call, but the fact that they put Early on the line and not Cotton is really a bummer.
          And again, Illinois State wouldn't have even been shooting free throws if the call was made correctly in the first place. So the Redturds got 2 extra free throws right there. It's a wash.

Well actually it isn't a wash. Carmichael should have been ejected for the next 2 or 3 games.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Not like the call was anymore of a difference maker in the outcome than a missed charge or travel in the first half.

They still had to blow a 5 point lead in the last :30 to lose after the call. And they did.

Comment

Warning to the rest of the MVC! Jackie Carmichael and the Illinois Stae Redbirds gave notice last night that they fully intend to repeat the penatentary style basketball that worked for them in the Valley tournament last year. Two plays by Carmicael one involving a front kick to the chest of Cotton (leave it at the dojo JC) the other a blatant charge that leveled Hall on a last second shot are shining examples of what Jackie intends to do for the remainder of the year. Add to that the coaches comments basically saying "what foul?" (see eagle article this morning) and you better get the ice packs and splints ready for the MVC tournament this year. Carmichael should have been tossed and given a flagrant 2 but the Valley doesn't have the guts to do that to an NBA prospect otherwise he would have been bounced long ago.

Comment

I do agree that it all evened out, I've just watched some Gerry Pollard officiating camp videos in which he makes it seems that he never makes mistakes. He is human after all.
                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                  Assuming Cotton came out of the game (I don't kown if he did) it's not inexcusable. The Referees are going to be hard pressed to rule he was not injured. And they might of looked at it as some what of a make up for not calling the foul in the first place which gave ISU two free throws.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by WuHu View Post
                    Warning to the rest of the MVC! Jackie Carmichael and the Illinois Stae Redbirds gave notice last night that they fully intend to repeat the penatentary style basketball that worked for them in the Valley tournament last year. Two plays by Carmicael one involving a front kick to the chest of Cotton (leave it at the dojo JC) the other a blatant charge that leveled Hall on a last second shot are shining examples of what Jackie intends to do for the remainder of the year. Add to that the coaches comments basically saying "what foul?" (see eagle article this morning) and you better get the ice packs and splints ready for the MVC tournament this year. Carmichael should have been tossed and given a flagrant 2 but the Valley doesn't have the guts to do that to an NBA prospect otherwise he would have been bounced long ago.
                    very good. all good. but slight correction- that kick was closer to the throat area.

Comment

On the coach's show Marshall said he assumed the flagrant was like a technical and he could choose who shot them. The refs didn't ask him nor did he ask the refs.

Comment

From the game feed you can see Mueller complaining about Early shooting the free throws instead of Cotton. Since they didn't make Marshall change, I'm guessing it was like a technical.

Comment

I think the officials did mess up by treating it like a technical. I believe it's a flagrant personal and Cotton should have shot them. 3G said he thought it was treated like a T and the officials seemed to think so as well. Considering the memo released by Elgin and the MVC, that was wrong. I don't believe there was anything intentional or deliberate from 3G or the officials to allow the wrong shooter to take the shots as some ISU fans seem to think.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I knew it was the wrong shooter but I wasn't about to say anything.:friendly_wink:
                            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Had the call been made immediately, it would have clearly been deemed a personal foul with flagrant intent and Cotton was the offended player. That this was not ruled on until an additional 11 seconds of play and the occurence of another foul, it certainly made the situation seem like more of a technical foul than a personal foul. I guess what I'm saying is that it is understandable, at least to me, that Early was allowed to shoot the FTs.
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                              X