Coach Gregg Marshall Knows Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Gregg Marshall Knows Basketball

He sees the big picture. Questioning his decisions are futile (I learned that looooong ago when he was first hired). He earns his entire paycheck (and then some).

ShockerNet: "BENCH THIS GUY!" "WHY IS THAT GUY STILL STARTING??!!" "OMG! WHY IS HE STILL ALLOWED TO SHOOT???!!"

Meanwhile...

HCGM: 1) Encourage instead of discourage 2) Reiterate that defense wins championships 3) Always demand intensity

1+2+3 and we are back in 1st place.

Coach Gregg Marshall knows basketball..

T

Fred plays 35 minutes. Coach Marshall knows basketball.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      He sees the big picture. Questioning his decisions are futile (I learned that looooong ago when he was first hired). He earns his entire paycheck (and then some).

ShockerNet: "BENCH THIS GUY!" "WHY IS THAT GUY STILL STARTING??!!" "OMG! WHY IS HE STILL ALLOWED TO SHOOT???!!"

Meanwhile...

HCGM: 1) Encourage instead of discourage 2) Reiterate that defense wins championships 3) Always demand intensity

1+2+3 and we are back in 1st place.

Coach Gregg Marshall knows basketball..

T

You forgot, 4. change the rotation of players. Sit the guys that aren't producing.

Comment

there is no question that the starting line up reflects GM's emphasis on defense. he actually has
        ten guys who ARE producing and i'm not envious of his job trying to find out the best
        combinations to produce the best results. home games vs weak teams can be misleading when
        it comes to crunch time. you can name any active player and i can give you reasons for more
        PT. i cant think of any coach that doesnt want ten good players but it can also pose problems
        in terms of finding the right winning chemistry versus tough opponents down the stretch, but
        that's why GM is paid the big bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
          Fred plays 35 minutes. Coach Marshall knows basketball.
          I think Fred got 35 mins because DWill was injured.

T

...:cool:

Comment

i concur
            Last edited by garylee; February 14, 2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
              I think Fred got 35 mins because DWill was injured.

T

Of course, you have identified the unexpected event, which led to Fred's break-out game.

However, Coach Marshall had other options as follows:

Fred or Malcomb at the one with Tekele at the two.
              Fred at the one and Malcomb at the two.
              Mix in Nick in some combination.
              These options would have reduced Fred's minutes at the one.

Since Cotton had foul trouble, it drove Coach Marshall to Fred at the one and Malcomb at the two.

So you are more right and I am more wrong.

You know that I always defer to you.

Here is my test question to the Oracle: Who starts at the one in Normal?

--Niels Bohr

Comment

But if DWill's injury was why FVV, who averaged less than 16 mpg, got 35, how come Armstead, who was shooting lights out and averages over 26 mpg, got only 22?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                  But if DWill's injury was why FVV, who averaged less than 16 mpg, got 35, how come Armstead, who was shooting lights out and averages over 26 mpg, got only 22?
                  Because you take the General over the Boss Man
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Whatever caused FVV to play more, it worked well. We need games like that from the freshman night in and night out. And I do agree that Normal will answer more of this question.

Comment

Fred and Malcolm played well together. If both are on the floor at the same time it's obvious that Fred is more suited to play the traditional point guard role. This does not mean that Malcolm is a bad point guard or that he only cares about hunting his own shot.

Comment

Coach just wanted to 'fresh'vv things up a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                          Of course, you have identified the unexpected event, which led to Fred's break-out game.

However, Coach Marshall had other options as follows:

Fred or Malcomb at the one with Tekele at the two.
                          Fred at the one and Malcomb at the two.
                          Mix in Nick in some combination.
                          These options would have reduced Fred's minutes at the one.

Since Cotton had foul trouble, it drove Coach Marshall to Fred at the one and Malcomb at the two.

So you are more right and I am more wrong.

You know that I always defer to you.

Here is my test question to the Oracle: Who starts at the one in Normal?
                          As always.. whoever plays the best in practice (intensity and/or defense). If DWill is still injured, I suspect either Fred or Cle' will take his place. Two totally different players that offer two totally different looks. It will be interesting to see what happens. My guess is, Fred may start his first game as a Shocker!

T

Comment

If DWill cannot play the next game or if he is hampered by his injury, I would be surprised to not see FVV start with Malcolm at the guards.

Comment

I sorta like Malcomb at the 2 for reasons as follows:

1. I believe Malcomb will have less turnovers there. Presently Malcomb is averaging 3.4 turnovers per game. Since he will be touching the ball less, I am hopeful his turnover rate will decrease.

2. Malcomb is shooting 36.8% from three. It is pretty good for this team. I believe he will have better quality attempts available to him from the 3 line. (Notice I crafted the words carefully. If he goes crazy with forced attempts, then it will not be good.)

3. Fred's stats for turnovers and personal fouls for the last 10 games are off the chart good.
                              ---a. 18.5 minutes per game
                              ---b. 0.8 turnovers per game
                              ---c. 1.0 personal fouls per game

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                              X