Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Miller

Paul Suellentrop ‏@PaulS:uellentrop

Former WSU coach Harry Miller died today. Miller coached from 1971-78, winning MVC title in 1976 and going to NCAA Tournament.

RIP :poster_wu:
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Rest in peace Harry. Loved the Cheese Johnson years.

Comment

Harry coached a lot of very players at WSU but he'll also b remembered for our probation that happened during the 81-82 era.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
          Harry coached a lot of very players at WSU but he'll also b remembered for our probation that happened during the 81-82 era.
          Que? I was under the impression all of those violations happened after 1978.

Comment

Bob Wilson, Cheese Johnson, Bob Elmore, and Terry Benton all could have achieved Carr, Levingston, X or Stallworth status on better teams. Benton could rebound with anyone and Wilson and Johnson were perhaps the best shooters ever to wear a Shocker uniform.
            "Two dribbles and a ham sandwich" ~ Gregg Marshall
            Wichita State, a team long on grit, made everything it shot. ~ Normal, Ill. newspaper 2/19/13

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
              Que? I was under the impression all of those violations happened after 1978.
              Somebody may have a better memory than me but I think that the most serious violations happened during HM's tenure and included plane trips for parents, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                Somebody may have a better memory than me but I think that the most serious violations happened during HM's tenure and included plane trips for parents, etc.
                You are correct, looks like the major violations were between 1976-78. Interesting.

Comment

Rest in Peace Coach Miller. I grew up about 4 blocks from the Millers and went to school with their son Gary. My thoughts and prayers are with the entire Miller family during this difficult time. I will always think back with fond memories of the family.

Comment

Quick Harry Miller story...in my first year in Wichita(1977), the Shockers had to vacate Henry Leavitt for a week, in part I think, because THE CIRCUS WAS IN TOWN!!! They practiced at a local gym where I would go to play pick up games...HM had no closed door policy(which he probably should have!)One practice, a big assistant whose name escapes me, was handling conditioning and Ray got angry over something, quit running, left the gym and started walking back toward campus(probably 4-4 miles away...they ran and got him and a pretty profane but funny exchange took place between the assistant and Ray. HM never left his folding chair one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fredster View Post
                      Bob Wilson, Cheese Johnson, Bob Elmore, and Terry Benton all could have achieved Carr, Levingston, X or Stallworth status on better teams. Benton could rebound with anyone and Wilson and Johnson were perhaps the best shooters ever to wear a Shocker uniform.
                      Bob Wison was quite a shooter, but Cheese was a scorer, not considered a shooter let alone one of the best to wear a Shocker uni. He was however one of the best scorers to wear the black and gold. His gift was to make a move in the paint and elevate for about 5 minutes before making a basket.

Comment

Rootin' tootin' Calvin Bruton! OK, I don't recall the tootin' part so much. R.I.P. Coach Miller

Comment

I loved Harry's open practice policy although it caused me to reduce my study time.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                          X