MVC Coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockTalk
    I'm not looking this up, so correct me if I'm wrong. Folger came to WSU with a pretty good team already intact. He bolted to Vandy, leaving the cupboard bare at WSU & recommending Cohen. Vandy also had a good team in place and after using them up, bolted to USC. That's where he made his mistake ... he had to build a team there, became a .500 coach and retired young.
    I think it's common knowledge that Eddie could coach better than he could recruit.

I'd throw Bruce Weber in there as well...
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

So Hotel Paper, when exactly did Bruce Weber take Illinois to Championship game? Bill Self did that. You might be confusing Ohio State with Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
        I'm not looking this up, so correct me if I'm wrong. Folger came to WSU with a pretty good team already intact. He bolted to Vandy, leaving the cupboard bare at WSU & recommending Cohen. Vandy also had a good team in place and after using them up, bolted to USC. That's where he made his mistake ... he had to build a team there, became a .500 coach and retired young.
        The team Fogler inheirited when he arrived was around .500 the year before.

Leaving WSU with John Cooper and Paul Guffrovich is hardly leaving the cupboard bare. The problem was with his replacment, Diamond Mike Cohen.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
          So Hotel Paper, when exactly did Bruce Weber take Illinois to Championship game? Bill Self did that. You might be confusing Ohio State with Illinois.
          Bruce Webber took Illinois to the Championship game in his first year there with Bill Self's recruits.
          Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

LOl ... The only 'Bruce' I have liked is Bruce Lee, and that leaves Webber and Pearl out!!!! :roll:

Comment

You don't suppose because a lot of the coaches moving "up" from non-BCS schools are hired by the bottom BCS tier schools who have a long history of losing could be an influencing factor in this, do you?

There are naturally exceptions, MT being a prime example. And certainly some coaches succeed at schools similar to SCU, but the odds seem to be stacked against them.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
                You don't suppose because a lot of the coaches moving "up" from non-BCS schools are hired by the bottom BCS tier schools who have a long history of losing could be an influencing factor in this, do you?

There are naturally exceptions, MT being a prime example. And certainly some coaches succeed at schools similar to SCU, but the odds seem to be stacked against them.
                That is a factor...but there are alot of examples of coaches who have elevated a program (Pearl, Gillispie, Scott Drew, etc.) It just seems the MVC coaches who have moved on haven't had much success. The jury is still out on whether MT will succeed at aTm.

It could be a total coincidence. Or it could be that MVC coaches don't fare better for a reason. Style of play, coaching pedigree or lineage, or ????. I'm not trying to play devils advocate, it just struck me last night watching Bruce Weber.

Comment

LOl ... The only 'Bruce' I have liked is Bruce Lee, and that leaves Webber and Pearl out!!!! :roll:
                  Hertl?

Comment

2004. UNC beat Illinois for the NC.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Eddie Sutton

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth007
                        Bruce Webber took Illinois to the Championship game in his first year there with Bill Self's recruits.
                        Yep, Bill Self has never been to the Final 4. (He has 3 Elite 8 appearances)

Comment

Working...
                        X