Mid Major top 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Major top 25

In Week 11 of the college basketball season, each of the top two mid-majors were defeated; No. 1 Gonzaga fell to Butler on a Roosevelt Jones buzzer-beater, and No. 2 Creighton lost a nail-biter to Wichita State, 67-64...

Stop. Please. I don't care how many times it mentions us, posting articles perpetuating the lie that we're mid-major should not be posted on here. We are NOT mid-major. We go through this every week.
    Three things in life are constant- death, taxes, and Creighton losing in the first weekend of the tournament.

AAC or Bust!

Comment

ESPN doesnt think WSU is that evil term either. At least those on tv Saturday sure didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFan87 View Post
        Stop. Please. I don't care how many times it mentions us, posting articles perpetuating the lie that we're mid-major should not be posted on here. We are NOT mid-major. We go through this every week.
        Mid -major is the pollsters way of saying that they have a predisposition against such teams, and that they consider them inferior regardless. I'm surprised that they let the mid-major teams taint the holy ground of the BCS arena's. They are lucky to even be allowed to go through the front doors of such hallowed halls let alone set foot on their basketball court.They assume that all of the mid-major teams are looking to retrieve their lost glass slipper.Great mid-major teams are not Cinderella's. Cinderella teams are good teams that luck out. There is a difference. Denying great mid-major teams their due,and treating them as inferior will only be more painfull when they kick some BCS tail. The bigger is better school logic is far from always being a sure thing!:wsu_posters:

Comment

What choice did they have. There were only 2 teams on the court. They only cared about the game ratings , knowing that such games help sell more commercial products.

Comment

The only fair thing about this poll is that Gonzaga and BYU are also mentioned as MM's. But, these people who build this poll are still very inconsistent. Butler, and the MWC teams aren't mentioned on this poll. The inconsistency is what is very bad about the term and that's what bothers people like Katz, etc. The definition of what a MM is changes with each writer. That should make everyone want to puke.

Comment

STOOOOOOOOOOOOP
              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                The only fair thing about this poll is that Gonzaga and BYU are also mentioned as MM's. But, these people who build this poll are still very inconsistent. Butler, and the MWC teams aren't mentioned on this poll. The inconsistency is what is very bad about the term and that's what bothers people like Katz, etc. The definition of what a MM is changes with each writer. That should make everyone want to puke.
                The reason Butler and the MWC are not in it, is because this poll has bowed down to ESPN in by not including what they term "quasi-major" conferences. The problem is, that includes C-USA which is behind the Valley and WCC and trying to stay ahead of the "Horizon minus Butler" conference.

C-USA and the Atl-10 will soon drop out of that "category" and the Big East may drop down to join it. Ironically, the "C7 Plus" may also find themselves a "Quasi-Major" as well as they will be nothing but Georgetown, Marquette, the bottom dwellers of the Big East, and other "Quasi-Major" teams.

Comment

I am less concerned with the Mid-Major label as the lack of logic.

Record: 17-2, 6-1 MVC

Last Week's Rank: 4

Notable Wins: VCU (Road), Iowa (Neutral), Southern Miss (Neutral), Creighton (Home)

Wichita State moves back into the top three with a 67-64 win over Creighton. This was the Shockers' first Top 25 win of the season, and with it they are now tied with the Bluejays for first place in the MVC.
                  Lets See VCU and Creighton. I count 2 ranked teams WSU has beaten.

In Week 11 of the college basketball season, each of the top two mid-majors were defeated; No. 1 Gonzaga fell to Butler on a Roosevelt Jones buzzer-beater, and No. 2 Creighton lost a nail-biter to Wichita State, 67-64.

Still, the overall bodies of work for these two teams, Gonzaga and Creighton, show that they are still the two best mid-majors in college basketball at this point in the season.
                  Gonzaga does have a better body of work but lets look at Creighton. How many current top 25 teams has CU beaten (0). CUs top 3 wins RPI #47 InSt, #51 Wisc and #66 Neb. WSUs best wins #22 CU, #29 VCU and #40 SMU. WSU Out of Conference SOS 84, CU Out Of Conference SOS #97. Head to Head WSU 1-0. Creighton's body of work consists mostly of Doug McD.

Comment

#1 CU

2. Wichita State (17-2).
                    Why it's here: Gotta give me some love here: I promoted WSU last week before the Creighton game, then it went out and made me look good. And I love when teams do that because the occasion is so rare. The Shockers are a different team with Carl Hall back from that broken thumb. Last year Gregg Marshall got this team to a No. 5 seed, and as of now that achievement seems repeatable.

Something you should know: Unlike Creighton's anecdote above, Wichita State hasn't been taken out in consecutive Missouri Valley games since the 2008-09 season. Most impressive, yet again.

Up next: Wednesday at Missouri State; Saturday vs. Bradley.
                    "Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                      I am less concerned with the Mid-Major label as the lack of logic.

Lets See VCU and Creighton. I count 2 ranked teams WSU has beaten.

Gonzaga does have a better body of work but lets look at Creighton. How many current top 25 teams has CU beaten (0). CUs top 3 wins RPI #47 InSt, #51 Wisc and #66 Neb. WSUs best wins #22 CU, #29 VCU and #40 SMU. WSU Out of Conference SOS 84, CU Out Of Conference SOS #97. Head to Head WSU 1-0. Creighton's body of work consists mostly of Doug McD.
                      It's the Bleacher Report. Most of their writers are unpaid volunteers.
                      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post
                        It's the Bleacher Report. Most of their writers are unpaid volunteers.
                        And not very good
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8866717 Dont know if this was posted anywhere else
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by HarpBros View Post
                            [URL]http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21590317/power-pyramid-mwc-is-now-impressively-confusing-us-all

Something you should know: Unlike Creighton's anecdote above, Wichita State hasn't been taken out in consecutive Missouri Valley games since the 2008-09 season. Most impressive, yet again.

Up next: Wednesday at Missouri State; Saturday vs. Bradley.
                            wow. nice stat. hopefully, nobody on shockernet ever again picks the shockers to go on a three game losing streak (as long as marshall is here). was it kcshox that predicted the 3-game slide? anybody else?

Comment

KC is in high company with that pick. So far, he's 0 for 2.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X