New Catholic League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Catholic League

Kai, if this topic has been posted elsewhere, please delete this one.

Here is my question: If invited, is it a good idea to join the new Catholic league?

Should WSU be proactive or reactive?

If proactive, what actions are being taken by AD Sexton to investigate the worthiness of joining the new league?

Has AD Sexton contacted the leader of the Catholics to advise the Catholics of WSU's interest in the new league?

Should ShockerNet members be invitied to serve on an investigative task team? (Just kidding here.)

Just wondering.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

At first I was enthusiastic about the new conference, even if it was a longshot for us.

After more reflection, I don't think it's a good idea for WSU. The politics would be horribly wrong for us. In fact they won't be much better for Creighton.

I think if we don't start hearing serious rumblings about bringing in new high caliber basketball schools into the MVC very soon, it would be better to put pressure on the MVC to make a change in leadership.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

In fact, Elgin's entire tenure may be soon reduced to "the guy that lost Creighton". Instead of "the guy that brought in X and Y" (which only happens if X and Y are serious basketball schools).

Comment

I do not know a lot about the advantages and disadvantages, but it seems to me that a move to the Catholics would be considered a significant move up in class.

The Shocks would be playing games in Chicago, New York and other large cities every year. Lots of recognition. Lots of publicity. Lots of television. Lots of money.

Like I said, I do not know a lot about the worthiness.
        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

IF it were an option, I'd say we'd take it. You mentioned the cities, the publicity and the money. Also, we'd be playing Georgetown, Butler, Xavier and others every single year. Some even twice. More money and more pub leads to more doors opening in the world of recruiting. This would also lead to more opportunities for post season appearances and success which leads to even more money and more pub and more doors opening.

We're not getting invited or really even talked about unless they got to more than 12. But if they offered, or if the MWC offered us to balance out Hawaii, we'd be stupid not to take it. This more money would even benefit the "lesser" sports.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

MWC seems like a better fit, politics-wise.

Comment

If we got to pick, I'd go with the MWC. New Mexico, UNLV, SDSU, USU, CSU, AFA, Nevada. They're a Top 5 conference right now!
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The C07 is/will not be an option.

Nor do I believe MWC will be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                  [COLOR=#00ff00]

Has AD Sexton contacted the leader of the Catholics to advise the Catholics of WSU's interest in the new league?
                  "the leader of the Catholics..."

Someone needs to get on Flight Tracker and see if Sexton's plane has traveled to Rome recently. I wasn't aware Pope Benedict was a college basketball fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    MWC seems like a better fit, politics-wise.
                    Agree wholeheartedly!!! In an all Catholic league....there could possibly be some bias towards non-catholic Wichita St. Mountain West would be the way to go me thinks!!!
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

A parochial league begs the question...Which team gets the benefit of a "Hail Mary shot" and if it doesn't work is it because one school is considered lesser in the eyes of God and if thats the case how does one make ones self/school more worthy?

Comment

Working...
                      X