Missouri Valley Opponent Venues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri Valley Opponent Venues

For those of you that have traveled to away games, what are the better venues out there for the Valley teams? Maybe not even just venues, but perhaps the area of the city the venue is in is safe, fun, family friendly, etc.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

I want to make it to each MVC venue at some point, but have only made Roberts Stadium in Evansville, Century Link Center in Omaha and several trips to Tulsa in the 1980s. Omaha's arena is near their Old Town district so lots of places to stay and eat nearby.

I am going to try to make it to UNI and Ill State this year, so I would like the same info as Kung Wu is requesting.

Comment

I am biased but JQH is simply a stunning building. Good area too. It is tough to beat.

I also really like the arena in Carbondale. The fans are really knowledgeable and some of the best around.

Creighton's feels too NBA like. They have all the Kiss Cam stuff that just really takes away from the game. And they have these oompa loompa look alikes that try to chuck t-shirts into the crowd. They have Brady Quinn like arm strength. Omaha is okay otherwise but nothing too special.

I respect Koch. Not my favorite in terms of location, amenities, etc but passionate fans. That's what it's all about.

Not been to Evansville's new place yet.

UNI's is decent. Basketball is kind of an afterthought. Driving back from Northern Iowa makes you feel the Germans did after leaving Stalingrad in WW2. Just incredibly bleak. Puts a damper on the whole trip.

It's been a decade since I went to Drake's building. It was okay. Des Moines as a city is fan friendly.

Indiana State's is tough to find. Good fans. Students are extra vulgar though so I would not recommend for clean family fun. If you are into that whole vanquishing feeling on the road though beat them and then tug on your shirt extra hard while yelling stuff at them is an awesome, awesome feeling.

Redbird Arena is cookie cutter. It did not stand out.

I've been to Bradley's women's gym but not the man's one. The women's one was old and full of old people. If you bring your family to a Bradley women's game they won't have trouble. They will be bored though.

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
        Indiana State's is tough to find. Good fans. Students are extra vulgar though so I would not recommend for clean family fun. If you are into that whole vanquishing feeling on the road though beat them and then tug on your shirt extra hard while yelling stuff at them is an awesome, awesome feeling.
        LMAO

Comment

I've been to Levitt Arena, Britt Brown Arena, and Koch Arena the fan base all of them are awesome! Britt Brown sold beer... drunkest season for the Basketball Shox's.

Hammons Student Center saw many great MVC Women's tournaments there. Great fan base even though we don't like each other.

Knapp Center saw three MVC Women's tournaments there friendly people.

Kiel Center, Savvis Center, and Scottrade Center after going there 12 of the last 14 years. I love the home of the MVC Men's tournament despite our challenges there.
          Last edited by HarpBros; January 18, 2013, 05:06 PM.
          "Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
            I am biased but JQH is simply a stunning building. Good area too. It is tough to beat.
            Good things about JQH : Seating - Great Concessions - Everything is shiny and new

Not so Good: Parking and the effing floor in the concourse is so slick that if it's raining or snowing you really need to watch your step. I've seen several people fall. It's slicker than a cow pattie in the hot Texas sun (Reference point for @Kung Wu, @SHOXMVC, and @pogo)

Oh .....and no locker rooms - just drawings.

The atmosphere (fan noise) is not good either. Don't eat burritos before you go. Everyone can hear every noise you make.

Comment

Yeah I've seen several people take quite terrific spills on the JQH concourse before but I always thought they were the Life Alert bracelet wearing types that were bound to fall eventually regardless of surface.

The acoustics are decent. I preferred Hammons but so what the new building is really nice.

I will say that some of the ushers at JQH have to be the most pompous, arrogant ushers of any venue in the country. I mean if there were awful usher ratings, we would have some really big time recruits. I've had some run ins believe me. But I think it is a family friendly environment.

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
                Good things about JQH : Seating - Great Concessions - Everything is shiny and new

Not so Good: Parking and the effing floor in the concourse is so slick that if it's raining or snowing you really need to watch your step. I've seen several people fall. It's slicker than a cow pattie in the hot Texas sun (Reference point for @Kung Wu, @SHOXMVC, and @pogo)

Oh .....and no locker rooms - just drawings.

The atmosphere (fan noise) is not good either. Don't eat burritos before you go. Everyone can hear every noise you make.
                Haha I told you guys that works for everything ... slicker ... love it.

Good feedback, I get to Springfield/Branson often so I'll be hittin' that venue soon enough.

Comment

Hey I'm going to JQH arena for the first time this week.
                  Any suggestions on food, parking, tickets?

Thanks
                  I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerInKC View Post

Thanks
                    Sure. Since you'll be in Misery. And as everyone knows, Misery loves company. So in order, be weary of food poisoning, be weary of carjackers, be weary of scalpers.
                    :smiley_simmons:
                    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Haven't been there in a few years, but Springfield Brewing had a good atmosphere, great food, beer, and service. It's downtown.

Comment

Park near the locker rooms. Oh, wait a minute . . .
                        "If you strive for perfection, often times you can achieve excellence." --Gregg Marshall

Comment

For food, check out Lamberts. If you like to adventure out a bit, there is a small town about 20 miles south of Springfield called Rockaway Beach. In this little town of anout 200 is one of my favorite pizza joints. It is called La Pizza Cellar. Cool little town, just north of Branson, where you can do some shopping at "The Landing" after lunch. Worth the trip.

Comment

Thanks
                            Food:
                            Lamberts is at the intersection of Hwy 65 and CC. It's about a 20 minute drive south of JQH and 1 mile from the moshock residence. It's a tourist trap so plan on an hour this time of year.

There are some pretty cool places downtown ( Springfield Brewery - Harbell's Sports Grill) It's only about 1 mile north of JQH

All of the chains - Chili's - Outback - Five Guys are near Glenstone and Battlefield about 5 minutes south and east of JQH

Bass Pro has a great buffet called Hemmingway's at Sunshine and Campbell. They have menu items also. It is about 5 minutes from JQH. There is also a pretty good BBQ joint on the SE corner of that intersection called Whole Hog. IMO, it's pretty much the best BBQ that SGF has to offer.

There is a parking garage about a block north of JQH. It's near the intersection of Cherry & Holland. It's free and I doubt that it's full on a Wed nite.

You should be able to get decent tickets at the door or call (417) 836-7678 or (417) 836-3302. There is a seating chart at http://www.missouristatebears.com/ti...-m-baskbl.html

Comment

Thanks
                              Tickets? LOL.

They'll be plenty of room to sit as you please.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X