Maybe the end of "Mid Major"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe the end of "Mid Major"

I've been saying this for a few years now...glad it's catching on.

1. The NCAA selection committee met in Grapevine, Texas, at the NCAA convention Wednesday and had to come up with some quirky new rules for the selection-committee chair after Xavier athletic director Mike Bobinski announced he is leaving for the same position at Georgia Tech.

I've lost touch with all the league changes....when did Utah State go all Mountain West on me? That's one hell of a basketball conference. Too bad we can't be a part of that.

UNLV, New Mexico, SDSU, USU, Colorado State...etc etc. Boy I'd hate to make the trip to Vegas every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
      I've been saying this for a few years now...glad it's catching on.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...n-on-mid-major
      It would have been nicer if he would have mentioned WSU instead of just Butler, Gonzaga and a brief mention of Creighton.

Comment

Perhaps, but maybe he didn't mention WSU because he's already knows we aren't mid major?

Comment

Creighton is ranked right now and we aren't.

Comment

Andy Katz says the same thing all the time. He's mentioned WSU before as being a major program.

Comment

There is one criteria of a "Major" program WSU and CU are missing: The ability to have strong home and home games with other major programs... That is the hump we must find a way to overcome. I put just in front of solving world peace, but I think it is the final piece.

Comment

Home and home with Tennessee is a start. Actually being to "buy" Conf USA teams like UAB and Southern Miss is a start too.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
                  There is one criteria of a "Major" program WSU and CU are missing: The ability to have strong home and home games with other major programs... That is the hump we must find a way to overcome. I put just in front of solving world peace, but I think it is the final piece.
                  Creighton won't be "Mid-Major" when they join the C-7 in a couple years. But you are correct about the scheduling.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                    Home and home with Tennessee is a start. Actually being to "buy" Conf USA teams like UAB and Southern Miss is a start too.
                    I agree. CUSA isn't what it was a few years ago. They have been below the MVC for quite a while IMO. Hopefully HCGM can get a Big12 or Big 10 school on the schedule soon as well. Maybe an ACC since he likes the SE part of the USA in recruiting.

Comment

Katz has been VERY positive about WSU and his disdain for the term of which I will not use.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
                        Perhaps, but actually, the fact that we are consistently invited to major holiday tournaments year in and year out neutralizes that to a small degree. It will take more non-BCS appearances in the Final Four to chip away at the walls the power-6 teams put up on the scheduling front... and a few more coaches like Cuonzo Martin....
                        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          Katz has been VERY positive about WSU and his disdain for the term of which I will not use.
                          He has and he is also in the minority on this. The term was probably brought about by ESPN people. I know Katz likes to use Non-BCS as a term. WSU is definitely that. But they aren't that other term that @C0|dB|00ded: has a great disdain for.

WSU has a much better setup for it's basketball program than many BCS schools. We just can't get the games that are needed to not be viewed as "small-time". Gonzaga has managed to get away from it. Butler did with two national championship appearances. Hopefully a deep run this year into the NCAA tourney will help out WSU a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                            He has and he is also in the minority on this. The term was probably brought about by ESPN people. I know Katz likes to use Non-BCS as a term. WSU is definitely that. But they aren't that other term that @C0|dB|00ded has a great disdain for.

WSU has a much better setup for it's basketball program than many BCS schools. We just can't get the games that are needed to not be viewed as "small-time". Gonzaga has managed to get away from it. Butler did with two national championship appearances. Hopefully a deep run this year into the NCAA tourney will help out WSU a little more.
                            We definitely need post season success to open more doors. That's what the other non-BcS teams have had to do to get certain games and make people look at them differently. It's coming.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                              He has and he is also in the minority on this. The term was probably brought about by ESPN people. I know Katz likes to use Non-BCS as a term. WSU is definitely that. But they aren't that other term that @C0|dB|00ded: has a great disdain for.

it's a RIVALS term

Comment

Working...
                              X