ESPN: Koch Arena one of the Ten Best Home Courts in College basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN: Koch Arena one of the Ten Best Home Courts in College basketball

The most intimidating environments in college basketball share some common characteristics. Six Division I coaches interviewed this week helped identify the five factors that go into creating a daunting home court.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

The 10 best home courts in college basketball:

1. Allen Fieldhouse, Kansas
    2. Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke
    3. Assembly Hall, Indiana
    4. McCarthey Athletic Center, Gonzaga
    5. The Pit, New Mexico
    6. Breslin Center, Michigan State
    7. Koch Arena, Wichita State
    8. Petersen Events Center, Pittsburgh
    9. Carrier Dome, Syracuse
    10. Rupp Arena, Kentucky

Five other good ones: Kohl Center, Wisconsin; Joyce Center, Notre Dame; Viejas Arena, San Diego State; McKale Center, Arizona; Comcast Center, Maryland.
    Also of note:

Oregon coach Dana Altman said more than 15,000 fans attended home games when he was at Creighton. But with only about 4,000 undergrads, the environment wasn't always as imposing as some might expect. Former ESPN analyst Doug Gottlieb once referred to the Qwest Center as "The Library." "The students there are key," Altman said. "When they show up, it's on a different level."

Comment

The Century Link where CU plays is much like an NBA atmosphere. Definitely not a college basketball place.

Comment

Buried a little further into the article:

THIS WEEK'S POLL

Ranking the best X's and O's coaches in college basketball, in order of total points, with number of first-place votes in parentheses (voters: Eamonn Brennan, Andy Katz, Myron Medcalf, Dana O'Neil and me).

1. Mike Krzyzewski, Duke -- 49 (4)
        2. Bill Self, Kansas -- 43 (1)
        3. Tom Izzo, Michigan State -- 41
        4. Rick Pitino, Louisville -- 33
        5. Brad Stevens, Butler -- 30
        6. Billy Donovan, Florida -- 13
        7. Dana Altman, Oregon -- 12
        8. Bob Huggins, West Virginia -- 10
        9. Bo Ryan, Wisconsin -- 7
        10. John Beilein, Michigan -- 6

Also receiving votes: Buzz Williams, Marquette 5; Thad Matta, Ohio State 5; Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt 5; Gregg Marshall, Wichita State 4; Mike Montgomery, Cal 3; Greg McDermott, Creighton 2; Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh 2; Fran Dunphy, Temple 2; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse 1; Shaka Smart, VCU 1; Bob McKillop, Davidson 1; Tom Crean, Indiana 1.

Comment

Originally posted by RomeoCrennel's Belly View Post
          The Century Link where CU plays is much like an NBA atmosphere. Definitely not a college basketball place.
          I'll be there with bells on tonight no matter how many students show up. But I sit fairly high and my section does fairly good for a bunch of old fogies. Some of you that sit down low are the ones who can really make a difference.

Comment

King has always seemed to give us positive pub. Him living in Kansas doesn't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post
              Buried a little further into the article:
              THIS WEEK'S POLL

Ranking the best X's and O's coaches in college basketball, in order of total points, with number of first-place votes in parentheses (voters: Eamonn Brennan, Andy Katz, Myron Medcalf, Dana O'Neil and me).

1. Mike Krzyzewski, Duke -- 49 (4)
              2. Bill Self, Kansas -- 43 (1)
              3. Tom Izzo, Michigan State -- 41
              4. Rick Pitino, Louisville -- 33
              5. Brad Stevens, Butler -- 30
              6. Billy Donovan, Florida -- 13
              7. Dana Altman, Oregon -- 12
              8. Bob Huggins, West Virginia -- 10
              9. Bo Ryan, Wisconsin -- 7
              10. John Beilein, Michigan -- 6

Also receiving votes: Buzz Williams, Marquette 5; Thad Matta, Ohio State 5; Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt 5; Gregg Marshall, Wichita State 4; Mike Montgomery, Cal 3; Greg McDermott, Creighton 2; Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh 2; Fran Dunphy, Temple 2; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse 1; Shaka Smart, VCU 1; Bob McKillop, Davidson 1; Tom Crean, Indiana 1.
              Not saying these guys actually know that much, but interesting that the #2 all-time D-1 wins coach (Boeheim) got only 1 vote, at #10, by these 5 guys.

VCU and CU probably didn't like the poll either.

A clear separation for the top 3 and the next 2. That's a lot of praise for Stevens. Altman #7, yes, no?

Comment

Hard to believe Utah State wasn't mentioned as one of the best home courts.
                Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Working...
                X