Has our success bored our crowd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has our success bored our crowd?

Honest question. It seems like our crowd has been lulled to sleep because we don't usually need them. Against good opponents, the crowd comes alive and really rocks, but it seems like a large portion of the crowd calls it in whenever we play someone we should beat. Add to that all the people leaving early (and leaving the marvelous performance OF Early), and I can only conclude that these people are simply bored when we are the hunted.

I thought that being ranked and playing a conference foe would have been enough to sell the place out and that the game was good enough to get the crowd involved, but there were times when Koch Arena was practically a library in the first half. What can we do to get the crowd more involved in games like last night? Why do you think the crowd has been so apathetic recently?

Crowds have been a topic of discussion in my neck of the woods the past couple weeks.. Wichita State's crowed is actually more involved when the Shocks aren't playing very well, compared to KU.. I heard an announcer make a comment about KU's crowed last night and it actually made me glad it got some national exposure. Simply put, if KU is under performing, AFH turns into 16,000 people sitting on their hands. Wichita States crowed becomes more restless/hostile when WSU is under performing, whistles get torched by boos, the crowed seemingly rallies behind the Shocks.. I have noticed the crowed sitting on their hands when WSU is out in front by 25 or so, but if your a player and the game is under control with 10 minutes left in the 2nd half, I would think looking around and noticing 9,000 people still sticking around to watch a blow out wouldn't bring on a sense of dejection.

Comment

I know - you could have a Dance Cam and people would stand up and make fools of themselves, especially if they are in the lower seating areas . . . that ought to fire them up!

(Anyone notice the Dance Cam was AWOL last night? - Thank God.)

The next time someone sitting at the courtside table on the West side actually cheers or gets into the game will be the first time - what is up with that?
      If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
        Crowds have been a topic of discussion in my neck of the woods the past couple weeks.. Wichita State's crowed is actually more involved when the Shocks aren't playing very well, compared to KU.. I heard an announcer make a comment about KU's crowed last night and it actually made me glad it got some national exposure. Simply put, if KU is under performing, AFH turns into 16,000 people sitting on their hands. Wichita States crowed becomes more restless/hostile when WSU is under performing, whistles get torched by boos, the crowed seemingly rallies behind the Shocks.. I have noticed the crowed sitting on their hands when WSU is out in front by 25 or so, but if your a player and the game is under control with 10 minutes left in the 2nd half, I would think looking around and noticing 9,000 people still sticking around to watch a blow out wouldn't bring on a sense of dejection.
        Isn't that a reflection of the "class" of the fan base?

For example, the classy fans will try and lift their team who is struggling, and doesn't really get pleasure from trouncing an opponent by 30+ points. Thy would rather see the bench go as deep as it can so they can see new faces learning and getting to take part in the game.

Versus, the non-classy fans who will degrade their team for struggling, and gains extra pleasure in watching individuals showboat in 30+ point blowouts. And their team can't score enough to satisfy.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

My sister came to last night's game. She just graduated from KSU and mentioned that it was really loud during the first four minutes of the game. I think the crowd got into the game throughout much of the first half.

BTW - She spent a lot of time working at the Snyder Stadium and the Octogon.....

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
            My sister came to last night's game. She just graduated from KSU and mentioned that it was really loud during the first four minutes of the game. I think the crowd got into the game throughout much of the first half.

BTW - She spent a lot of time working at the Snyder Stadium and the Octogon.....
            I think our crowd still gets plenty loud when our team needs it. However, my concerns are:

1. Not selling out Koch Arena despite our ranking
            2. Leaving early in a tight game
            3. Very low-key first half

It felt like a lot of people weren't really ready to do their part in the first half. Hopefully the place will be rocking against Illinois State and Creighton.

Comment

I think part of the first half issues for the crowd was that they were stunned by what they were seeing. Not that SIU was leading, but that we were playing so bad on D. I know I was on the couch watching in disbelief.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                I think our crowd still gets plenty loud when our team needs it. However, my concerns are:

1. Not selling out Koch Arena despite our ranking
                2. Leaving early in a tight game
                3. Very low-key first half

It felt like a lot of people weren't really ready to do their part in the first half. Hopefully the place will be rocking against Illinois State and Creighton.
                How long have you been regularly attending WSU games?
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  How long have you been regularly attending WSU games?
                  I know, I'm probably overly optimistic. I just felt that our crowd would be be a little better considering the national ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                    I know, I'm probably overly optimistic. I just felt that our crowd would be be a little better considering the national ranking.
                    Everyone was in shock during the first half. They didn't know what to do. The arena will be maxxed out for Creighton. But it is really close to sold out except for single tickets.

Comment

I don't see how you could make such statements. What game were you watching? That game last night was LOUD. And the first half got a little quiet because there wasn't as much to cheer for. How does that not make sense? And yes, the crowd did indeed get restless when we started underperforming and tried to urge the shocks on. Quit over analyzing this crap.

Comment

And if you have any sense of doubt that the roundhouse will be rocked off its foundation for the Creighton game, you can GTFO.

Comment

My ears were ringing as I walked out of the arena. It could be better, but there is no way you can call that a bad crowd.

Comment

When we jumped out to an early lead I sat back and started feeling sorry for Barry. Then it looked like we quit guarding with intensity and siu started hitting everything they threw up. On a couple of occasions in the 2nd half the crowd noise abated when 1. timeouts were called by siu to settle the troops and by the media timeouts. The crowd stayed loud through most of the 60 second timeouts but the media timeouts took alot out the intensity. Plus when you run a promotion during a media timeout it puts a damper on the noise. Could have been better at times but I think when the troops needed it we were there. Also attendance could be affected by the fact that it was televised. I was more concerned with the large number of open seats behind our bench close to the tunnel and another open area on the east side about 2/3rds the way up. I would like to know who owns those because I would make a call to let them know I can distribute their tickets for them since they seem unable to do so.

Comment

If I weren't under the weather, I'd have made it out last night. Sucks that I missed seeing such performances in person.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                              X