The "new" starting lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "new" starting lineup

The meme since mid-December has been that WSU is missing three starters. While that is technically true, I think the reality is that Williams and Cotton have effectively passed Baker and Wessel in terms of performance in their stead. I expect we'll see that to be the case when/if one or both return.

When Hall gets back I think we'll have our best 5/6 (Early being a 6th man who would be starting at the 4 if not for EO starting at the 5) starting the game.

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    The meme since mid-December has been that WSU is missing three starters. While that is technically true, I think the reality is that Williams and Cotton have effectively passed Baker and Wessel in terms of performance in their stead. I expect we'll see that to be the case when/if one or both return.

When Hall gets back I think we'll have our best 5/6 (Early being a 6th man who would be starting at the 4 if not for EO starting at the 5) starting the game.
    Or maybe even Carl being the 6th man, at least for a few games. It was a role he seemed to like and relish in last year.

I would love to be seeing more minutes for Nick, at least when he is strokin' it the way he was against Drake, but 3G will probably never vary much from his "you have to defend and rebound if you want to play". Thing is not every player, no matter how hard they try is going to be a Tekele, D-Will or Malcolm defensively.

What I do think this group of Shocker players has in common is that they are all winners.

Comment

I agree Royal. Wessell, was not starting material in my humble opinion. Williams and Cotton > Wessell and Baker.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

But it's a nice problem for a coach to have. They might not be the best at their position here, but would definitely be starting at alot of the other MVC schools.

Comment

Wessell is like Graham Hatch. The dude hustles and dives for loose balls and does alot of things that do not show up on a stat sheet.

I give full credit to Hatch as the motivator that brought us back from being down twenty-something to CU in the tourney a few years ago. The game was all but over, but he kept flying all over the court and playing his butt off while others had appeared to be giving up. When they saw what he was doing, they picked up their game.
          Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
          Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

The problem is who do you put on the bench as the 6th man when Carl Comes back? Early, TC, or Dwill? I guess Early so we can sub in instant offense. On another note I firmly beleive that coach is not playing Wiggins enough. He needs to be out there at least 20 minutes every game. I see improvement in every game on his rebounding and while his D still has a lot of room for improvement he is getting better. I think he is one of those kids that needs to have the PT to really get it. When he gets it he will be an absolute star. I think that is why coach is so hard on him. He has just about as much upside as Early IMO. He has the talent to be a first team all conference next year and an eventual pro. If he adds hustle, D, and strength the sky is the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22 View Post
              The problem is who do you put on the bench as the 6th man when Carl Comes back? Early, TC, or Dwill? I guess Early so we can sub in instant offense. On another note I firmly beleive that coach is not playing Wiggins enough. He needs to be out there at least 20 minutes every game. I see improvement in every game on his rebounding and while his D still has a lot of room for improvement he is getting better. I think he is one of those kids that needs to have the PT to really get it. When he gets it he will be an absolute star. I think that is why coach is so hard on him. He has just about as much upside as Early IMO. He has the talent to be a first team all conference next year and an eventual pro. If he adds hustle, D, and strength the sky is the limit.
              It's a good problem to have. I trust HCGM will figure it out.

Comment

Wessell was our best perimeter shooter before he got hurt which is something that he doesn't get much credit for, althouhg Nick has now passed him up at 52.0% to 45.8% after the Drake game. Our only two guys over 40% from behind the arc. A good defender and a decent rebounder who probably knows 3G system better than anyone else on the team.

Evan will play plenty when he returns whether that is this year or next year. Whether he starts or plays his minutes off of the bench doesn't make a lot of difference.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 3, 2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

When Pete Carroll was at USC, with Bush, Leinhart, etc. He regularly got 8-10 top 100 recruits each year. He promised them that if they won the job, they would start as freshman. He had no "orderly progession", as in a kid had to wait until the All-American in front of him graduated. There basically were no returning starters, it was always.........you win the job on the field, you play.

Comment

One other thing I've noticed. Starting with the 2nd half of the USM game it seems like our offense is starting to flow much better. I wonder if not having Hall, who is a focal point of the offense, is allowing the rest of team to be more productive because they know they have to be.

Now, I'm not suggesting we are a better team without Carl, far from it. But we may be a better team with him just being one of five guys out there, rather than someone we want the offense to go through.

Comment

Ehimen steps it up

Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
                      Wessell is like Graham Hatch. The dude hustles and dives for loose balls and does alot of things that do not show up on a stat sheet.

I give full credit to Hatch as the motivator that brought us back from being down twenty-something to CU in the tourney a few years ago. The game was all but over, but he kept flying all over the court and playing his butt off while others had appeared to be giving up. When they saw what he was doing, they picked up their game.
                      I agree. I also think that Ehimen has picked up his level of intensity seeing that others have as his motivation. It was nice that he got 10 pts and 6 boards, but i was really impressed that he got 3 steals. He has gone from having a hard time holding onto the ball, to much better ball handling. When is the last time that anybody remembers Orukpe getting any steals for that matter! That is usually the guards job,and that is why it is so excellent at the center position. Way to go Ehimen !!! Keep up the good work!! Goooo Shockers!!!

Comment

He said in the post game that he was trying to deny and deflect passes inside because he was "trying to do his work early" in an effort to avoid fouls.

Comment

I'm not hung up on starting lineups and don't think the coaching staff is either but for the fun of it I'll play:

1. Armstead
                          2. Wiggins
                          3. Early
                          4. Hall
                          5. Orupke

Depth
                          1. dw, fvv
                          2. Baker, TC, DW
                          3. Wessel, TC, Wiggins, Baker
                          4. White, Early, Wessel,
                          5. Lufile, Hall

I'm with Cold as this particular group of players the coaches have recruited and are developing seem to have no limit. I've been thinking for sometime now, this could be a magical season.
                          Last edited by Signman; January 3, 2013, 04:45 PM. Reason: got cut off

Comment

Originally posted by Signman View Post
                            I'm not hung up on starting lineups and don't think the coaching staff is either but for the fun of it I'll play:

1. Armstead
                            2. Wiggins
                            3. Early
                            4. Hall
                            5. Orupke

Depth
                            1. fvv, dw
                            I don't see anyone displacing Tekele in the the starting lineup the way he has played recently. He brings exactly what 3G expects and demands to the table. Tekele is one tough hombre'.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              I don't see anyone displacing Tekele in the the starting lineup the way he has played recently. He brings exactly what 3G expects and demands to the table. Tekele is one tough hombre'.
                              And how do you take Dwill out. His D has been splendid.

Comment

Working...
                              X