Is Gal a 1 or a 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Gal a 1 or a 2?

The conventional wisdom is that Gal is out of position at the 1. Gal feels he is a point guard. I think he is better suited at the point guard position as well....

I think he may not be a natural for a college basketball coach at the 1 and some adjustments must be made by both player and coach for the team to be successful, but I think he can handle the ball/ open up the floor by driving/ push it up the floor / and score enough to keep defenses honest. He obviously sees the floor well enough to get people one or two EASY buckets a game. While not perfect or the best point guard we have seen over the last ten years - I think he has a lot of upside as a point guard.

As far as shooting guards go I don't see him having a high ceiling. His career shooting percentages are not good enough, he has a slow release, and has not shown the ability to knock down shots like SGs have to be able to do (i.e. when everyone else sucks SGs step out and drill a shot).

Am I off base thinking he is a one and not a two?

He will probably finish his career as a combo guard getting minutes at both positions.

Where HCGM thinks he fits best is more important for Gal than where the fans like him best.

Marshall Appreciates Mekel's Coachability

Marshall likes Mekel better at shooting guard

Comment

Re: Is Gal a 1 or a 2?

Originally posted by proshox
      The conventional wisdom is that Gal is out of position at the 1. Gal feels he is a point guard. I think he is better suited at the point guard position as well....

I think he may not be a natural for a college basketball coach at the 1 and some adjustments must be made by both player and coach for the team to be successful, but I think he can handle the ball/ open up the floor by driving/ push it up the floor / and score enough to keep defenses honest. He obviously sees the floor well enough to get people one or two EASY buckets a game. While not perfect or the best point guard we have seen over the last ten years - I think he has a lot of upside as a point guard.

As far as shooting guards go I don't see him having a high ceiling. His career shooting percentages are not good enough, he has a slow release, and has not shown the ability to knock down shots like SGs have to be able to do (i.e. when everyone else sucks SGs step out and drill a shot).

Am I off base thinking he is a one and not a two?
      I see Gal as a very solid back up PG.

I agree with your stated limitations that wouldn't make him ideal at the 2.

Comment

Gal is going to play more SG once we have an actual PG on the roster. He's very capable of playing PG but not someone that you want to do it for 35 minutes every game.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
          Gal is going to play more SG once we have an actual PG on the roster. He's very capable of playing PG but not someone that you want to do it for 35 minutes every game.
          And after this season, he shouldn't ever again, unless there is a major disaster in the injury front.

Comment

Gal is as good as he can be with the supporting staff that he has to work with. Give him the players that we have coming in next year and he will bust loose without the pressure of having to cover two roles.

Comment

I don't think the question is if Gal is a 1 or a 2. I think its 'Will he return for his Junior year?'
              "You can observe a lot just by watching."
              -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Comment

A one in Europe a _ _ _ in the U.S.

T

...8)

Comment

Working...
                  X