How often do we Charter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do we Charter?

I was surprised to see that a school that some would consider us comparable to - UNM - only charters for NCAA Tournament games. Somehow I thought that we chartered most games? I don't know, someone who is in the know can chime in.

Andy Katz sits down with Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan to talk about his decision to announce his pending retirement.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

I don't have an exact answer for you but I believe we charter the majority of our away games. I don't think we fly commercial very much these days.

Might be easier to list the games we would bus to.

Stillwater, Tulsa, OKC, anything in between here and KC. That's probably about it.

Comment

I believe it's in Marshalls contract that we fly charter for everything but a few games that we bus to.

Comment

I believe we only bus to Springfield.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
          I believe we only bus to Springfield.
          that's cause they ain't got no airport

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            that's cause they ain't got no airport
            Actually, I believe they do, in fact have an airport. But ground transportation is similar to that thing they drove at the beginning of Beverly Hillbillies, so it's just easier to drive our own bus into town.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

There is an airport in Springfield and also one in Branson. Both have flights comparable to Wichita.

Comment

Oh, we'll then I guess Missouri state is awesome. I didn't realize that. :)

Comment

I think the used Charter for last year's game at SWOMO

Comment

It was my understanding from the last several Shocker Auctions is that they fly charter to every game.

Comment

I think they fly part way and bus to some towns. Carbondale?
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

My guess is, and I don't know, but I would bet Wichita State uses the three hour rule. If it's around three to five hours you bus, anything more, you fly. Most schools, even the biggest of the big, follow this guideline. By the time all the players meet at school, get their crap in the bus, get on the bus, get to the airport, unload the bus, load the plane, fly to the city, unload the plane, load the bus, get the players out of the restroom and on the bus, drive to the arena, the bus would have already gotten from point "A" to point "B". At five hours, the plane wins by 45 minutes to an hour, but their is more stress in doing all of the above, then if you would have simply taken a bus. Three hours is always a bus, five hours is a push.

Maybe Wichita State does it differently, but Kansas uses that model, as does North Carolina.
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Wichita State flies everywhere. In fact, the Shockers even took a chopper from Koch Arena to IBA. This is just one of the many benefits of coming to play basketball at the "Air Capitol". I've heard rumors that NIAR is in the final stages of producing personal aircraft for all the players so they can fly from their dorms to their classes.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Hillbilly State may be the only place we don't fly, and I'm not 100% sure that we don't. I know we fly to Creighton. I'm not sure about Tulsa.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

If we were to go to Manhattan or stillwater it would probably be a bus. I would think tulsa would be too. It would be too damn long to get out of the airport for those short trips.

Comment

Working...
                              X