Silent Night - lessons from a small school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent Night - lessons from a small school

Check out the vid from tiny Taylor College. What an amazing tradition this is! Wish our student section would start some traditions in the same vein.

Taylor University students participate in one of the coolest traditions in all of college sports as the Trojan fans sit in complete silence until Taylor scor...

If the students did this everyone on here would still complain how horrible the student section is. How about all the season ticket holders start doing it also. I am getting so tired of everyone complaining about the student section and they never complain about other ticket holders.

Comment

Originally posted by kawwsu77 View Post
      If the students did this everyone on here would still complain how horrible the student section is. How about all the season ticket holders start doing it also. I am getting so tired of everyone complaining about the student section and they never complain about other ticket holders.
      Tell us how you really feel.

Comment

they never complain about other ticket holders.
        You're kidding, right?

Comment

If you look at MOST of the best atmospheres in college basketball it starts with the student section. They are like an extension of the cheerleaders with organized chants, dances...etc. Sure most places have bigger student sections. But numbers alone aren't everything. Creativity and enthusiasm starts with the student section IMHO.
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I apologize if I was too harsh with my first statement. People on here complain about other season ticket holders but not at the level that the student section gets. Just look at last years posts.

I think the student section is good but can be improved upon. They eliminated the "you suck balls" chant. It is hard to establish new traditions when you have no leader or leaders in the student section. Plus I feel that there is a split in the student section. One faction is the ones that get there really early to sit close to the court and ones that get there later to sit up behind the band and above the entry ramps.

I am sorry if I offended anyone but I am under a lot of stress with finals. I am a student and I try to attend every home game that I can. I do think that this years student section is better than previous years. I also think the band is better too. It would also help if the cheerleaders would throw more than one promotional thing to the student section.

Comment

It would be cool if the student section would get to know the War song the band cheers. That would be a first good step. Somebody just needs to take the initiative and be the student section leader and organizer. That's the main thing that's missing there and the difference from keeping it from being a pretty good student section.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I agree. Maybe the band should get with the students in the front rows and make it happen. I see it being said when Creighton come to town.

Comment

I apologize if I was too harsh with my first statement. People on here complain about other season ticket holders but not at the level that the student section gets. Just look at last years posts.

I think the student section is good but can be improved upon. They eliminated the "you suck balls" chant. It is hard to establish new traditions when you have no leader or leaders in the student section. Plus I feel that there is a split in the student section. One faction is the ones that get there really early to sit close to the court and ones that get there later to sit up behind the band and above the entry ramps.

I am sorry if I offended anyone but I am under a lot of stress with finals. I am a student and I try to attend every home game that I can. I do think that this years student section is better than previous years. I also think the band is better too. It would also help if the cheerleaders would throw more than one promotional thing to the student section.

Good points @kawwsu77:... I suggest once finals are over, take a leadership role and get the student section organized. If I wasn't such an 'old fart', I'd volunteer to assist you... it isn't that hard. Just form a small student committee, get organized and get-r-done.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    It would be cool if the student section would get to know the War song the band cheers. That would be a first good step. Somebody just needs to take the initiative and be the student section leader and organizer. That's the main thing that's missing there and the difference from keeping it from being a pretty good student section.
                    Agree! That's a good song with great potential to energize the student section and crowd.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                      Good points @kawwsu77:... I suggest once finals are over, take a leadership role and get the student section organized. If I wasn't such an 'old fart', I'd volunteer to assist you... it isn't that hard. Just form a small student committee, get organized and get-r-done.

I will see what I can do. I can't guarantee anything.

Comment

From where I sit, I can't make out what the words are, but I do like it. If that is the chant - that could be a good one to go with.
                        Band weenies RULE!!! ( I think our band is improved over last year, but they could limit the "Eat em up!, or whatever that variation of K-State's cheer is, to 20 or 30 repeats in succession . . .)
                        If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

If the students did this everyone on here would still complain how horrible the student section is.
                          No. If the students did this, the Freedom From Religion Foundation would sue our beloved state university for "sponsoring" and/or "endorsing" an event that contains a religious song. And nobody from our university would have the balls to take the case on.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Kids these days ...

Do the cheerleaders lead cheers or just do stunts?

There are resources available like email, Twitter and Facebook that can be used to spread the word BIG TIME that weren't even a stain back in the day.

Do none of the students have the ingenuity, brains, stones to GET ORGANIZED?

Seriously ... we're 9 games and you don't even know the words to the War Chant yet???

Did I actually see one of the basketball staff carrying the big face posters to hand out and return to storage at Koch? Do your mommies still nurse you too?

C'mon man.

--'85.
                            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

As a student, I can tell you that there are a couple problems with the student section. These are not just my own opinions; if you talk to most students who regularly attend games they would agree.

- GA tickets - I'm fine with having a GA section, but put it somewhere else so that there is an actual student section devoid of people over 30 (and some of these people sit in the front row).

- Do seating differently. Do the group thing like KU or something else, because I am sick of having the same people who make our typical student look ridiculous at the front of the student section because they have too much time on their hands and show up early (some of these people are in the category above). Hate to break it to ya, but 50 year olds or people who have sat there for >6 years DO NOT BELONG IN THE STUDENT SECTION.

Some of it has to do with the makeup of the university (commuter, international student base, etc.), but I would bet that if you change the environment and give the students a greater feel of autonomy that you'd see better chants, gimmicks, signs, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X