Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Are They Now? Ron Baker (2012–2016)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Are They Now? Ron Baker (2012–2016)

Wikipedia
    Ronald Delaine Baker (born March 30, 1993)[1] is an American former professional basketball player. He played college basketball for the Wichita State Shockers. Going undrafted in the 2016 NBA draft, he spent 3 seasons in the NBA, playing for the New York Knicks and Washington Wizards.​

image.png
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronald-baker-237651203/

image.png

Where Are They Now: Ron Baker, From the Knicks to Business
    Ron Baker, once a role player for the New York Knicks, hasn’t played in the NBA since 2019. He gained brief notoriety during the late 2010s for his time with

By BVM Sportsdesk
    9/13/24

"Ron Baker, once a role player for the New York Knicks, hasn’t played in the NBA since 2019. He gained brief notoriety during the late 2010s for his time with the dysfunctional Knicks, where he was sometimes viewed as a potential talent and other times as a mere roster filler. After an undrafted career-launching stint at Wichita State and a rookie season full of injuries, Baker eventually moved overseas before transitioning to a healthcare career. Today, he serves as a Business Operations Manager and Sports Medicine Leader for Ascension Via Christi, showcasing a remarkable shift from professional basketball to the medical field.

By the Numbers
    • Baker played 52 games across three seasons with the Knicks, averaging 3.3 points per game.
    • During his senior year at Wichita State, he averaged 15 points per game and earned an All-American honorable mention.
    State of Play
    • Baker's playing career ended after undergoing hip surgery post his season with CSKA Moscow in 2019-20.
    • He has since rebranded himself as “Ronald” and shifted focus to healthcare after completing his degree in Business Finance.
    What's Next
    While Baker has transitioned to healthcare, his past in basketball may continue to influence his community involvement and advocacy within sports medicine, possibly bridging his two worlds.

Bottom Line
    Ron Baker’s journey from the NBA to a management role in healthcare reflects the diverse paths athletes can take post-retirement, reminding us of the importance of transferable skills and adaptability in shaping one’s career."

Comment

Ron “Burgundy” Baker hasn’t played in the NBA since 2019. What has he been up to lately?
      Ron "Burgundy" Baker hasn’t played in the NBA since 2019. What has he been up to lately?

By Michael_Zeno
      Sep 12, 2024, 3:07pm ED

"A fun exercise I do when I’m bored or talking with other Knicks fans is talking about how bad we used to have it. You can go back to the dark Isiah Thomas days or the dark post-Knickstape teams, but a part of Knicks history that even much younger fans can join in the pain of remembering is the late 2010’s Knicks. A colorful cast of characters suited up for a dysfunctional Knicks team in the three years between the Carmelo Anthony trade and the culture change with the hiring of Leon Rose and Tom Thibodeau. When a team is that bad and that depressing, a fanbase that still packs the house latches on to some guys. One of those guys was a somewhat polarizing figure. Some saw potential, and some saw him as a forgettable filler piece for some bad teams. I’m talking about Ron Baker.

I met Ron at a rare postgame meet-and-greet in January 2018 after the Knicks beat the Pelicans. He didn’t play that game, nor did Dameyean Dotson, who was also there. They didn’t say who was showing up until postgame, so I was hoping to see someone like Porzingis, Kanter, or Hardaway. Oh well. Seeing Ron was pretty funny. I went to the game with my dad and we were both waiting for the players. He strongly disliked Ron Baker. When they said he was coming to greet us and the other fans, it was a fun moment. We didn’t tell Ron for obvious reasons and took a picture with him and Dot. That fun twist is something we bring up to this day....

...A now shorter-haired Baker became the general manager for the AfterShocks in The Basketball Tournament, a yearly tournament of retired or non-NBA college alumni. In one of the cooler pieces of knowledge about this era of Knicks basketball, Baker is now in the medical field. He graduated from Wichita State with a bachelor’s in Business Finance. Now going by “Ronald” in the professional world, his LinkedIn has him as a Business Operations Manager and a Sports Medicine Leader for Ascension Via Christi, a private healthcare provider based in his home state. From NBA guard to a career in healthcare all before 35. Certainly a story to tell your grandkids.​"

Comment

Seems like an NIL opportunity missed not to have him involved in some capacity. Seems like a match made in heaven. Maybe he has no interest? Maybe he hasn't been contacted.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
          Seems like an NIL opportunity missed not to have him involved in some capacity. Seems like a match made in heaven. Maybe he has no interest? Maybe he hasn't been contacted.

No doubt, entertaining millionaires on the golf course seems like a no brainer for Baker

Comment

I have to think he’s involved somehow. That just makes too much sense.
            78-65

Comment

Working...
            X