Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impressions from the game:

1. Free throws are nice

26-27 from the line, a new Shocker record for 1 miss. Very close to breaking the record for no misses, with 19 straight (previous record was 12-12). Early went 8-8, Hall 6-6, and Van Vleet 7-8.

2. Cleanthony Early is a scoring machine

21 points in 21 minutes, 6-10 from the field and 1-4 from the 3PT line. Saw his first minutes as a small forward, looked natural driving to the bucket. He's our scorer, no doubt about it. I think he may start soon at the 3 or push Orukpe out of the starting lineup. Could have had 30+ in this game without a lot of effort. Also chipped in 8 rebounds and a block.

3. Chadrack Lufile will be good... in time

I don't think we'll be seeing much of Lufile (or fellow JUCO Wiggins) for the first half of the season at least. But I see a lot of potential. He's really, really quick for a big man and plays a lot smaller than his listed weight of 255 pounds. He has handles, but needs to get rid of his first instinct, which seems to be to always put the ball on the floor.

4. We need to work the ball around better

This might have been because of our opponent, but we settled for bad shots too often. I'd like to see more post feeds, more baseline drives, and less 3s. It seemed like weren't focused a lot of the time.

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
    1. Free throws are nice

26-27 from the line, a new Shocker record for 1 miss. Very close to breaking the record for no misses, with 19 straight (previous record was 12-12). Early went 8-8, Hall 6-6, and Van Vleet 7-8.

2. Cleanthony Early is a scoring machine

21 points in 21 minutes, 6-10 from the field and 1-4 from the 3PT line. Saw his first minutes as a small forward, looked natural driving to the bucket. He's our scorer, no doubt about it. I think he may start soon at the 3 or push Orukpe out of the starting lineup. Could have had 30+ in this game without a lot of effort. Also chipped in 8 rebounds and a block.

3. Chadrack Lufile will be good... in time

I don't think we'll be seeing much of Lufile (or fellow JUCO Wiggins) for the first half of the season at least. But I see a lot of potential. He's really, really quick for a big man and plays a lot smaller than his listed weight of 255 pounds. He has handles, but needs to get rid of his first instinct, which seems to be to always put the ball on the floor.

4. We need to work the ball around better

This might have been because of our opponent, but we settled for bad shots too often. I'd like to see more post feeds, more baseline drives, and less 3s. It seemed like weren't focused a lot of the time.
    Pretty much agree with you. I do like having Early's firepower off of the bench though. I don't know if we will see much of a different starting lineup unless we REALLY struggle or lose a game. Who knows though. IMHO we have more than 5 starters on the team as it is.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

We are so much better when we press and trap full court.

Comment

Is Tekele still nursing an injury?

Comment

Don't think he ever was. He needed more minutes, I thought.

Comment

I defy anyone to try and convince me a previous Shocker team has more depth than the 2012-2013 team.

Our 11th and 12th players will provide some measure of problem for every team in the Valley. I'm not saying that Lufile is the best post, or anything like that, but these guys are way beyond serviceable in a pinch.

Comment

I loved watching DW drive around his man and score a layup. You have to admit that WCU had a bunch of good shooters - if they had not been good shooters, the final margin might have been 30 rather than 16.
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

The more I think about the game the more I scratch my head. There were times last night where we were as good as any TEAM at WSU since I've been alive. Sharing the ball, athleticism, pure talent, it's all there. I don't know........

Comment

Our second five would probably take no less than third in the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
                    Our second five would probably take no less than third in the Valley.
                    That might be a little much, but no doubt they would compete and COULD beat any team (including our first 5).

Comment

We dominated the rebounding margin 33-20.

With Baker only scoring 3 points on 1-5 shooting, some may think he had a bad game. 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 tournover...great defense and overall good floor game. Isn't it nice not to have to depend on any one guy.

Hall was Hall...what a beast.

Early is paying dividends "earlier" than what we might have thought. What a talent!

Wessel was tough once again. Has his shooting touch improved, or what?

I thought EO had one more assist than he got credit for, but oh well. This was the best game he has had overall. He didn't go after every shot and used better BBIQ to pick and choose, which put the WCU players on their heels. He got credited for one turnover, which I must have missed. He looked like he was a half step ahead in his actions...much improved. If, and a big if, he can put forth this type of effort and production vs. teams that his production will make a difference like Creighton, UNI, ISU-R, etc...nice job big man!!!

Comment

EO's one TO, iirc, was after somebody (Baker?) absolutely set him up with a perfect pass that he just didn't handle. It was a thing of beauty until EO fumbled it.

Comment

I 'saw' it from the radio, but my sense is that this team will have different step up people each game...and some who will 'disappear'...mainly due to inexperience /matchup issues...

Comment

7-footers who can leap are rare. This kid can really get the f up there.

Comment

FVV was better this time. Armstead cannot shoot. In conference, they will reeeeeaaaaly sag of him. Wiggins will end up being a player, you are right, Doc.

Remember when we would play a "Big East" kind of game and our guys would get shell-shocked by all of the physicallity and the uncalled fouls? This is a different bunch. Now we will be the bullies, not the bullied.

Comment

Working...
                              X