Strengths and weaknesses of this Wichita State team:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strengths and weaknesses of this Wichita State team:

For fun, I'm going to share what I feel are our strengths and weaknesses, one game into the season. We'll see how much this changes by the end of the year.

Strength: Perimeter Scoring

The Shockers have been good on the perimeter, especially freshman Ron Baker and sophomore Evan Wessel. Cleanthony Early hasn't hit his shots in the exhibition game or against NCC, but he can shoot the rock as well. I predict that we may be one of the top two in the Valley at shooting the 3 ball.

Weakness: Handling Pressure

This could easily improve by the end of the season, but the game against NCC showed a weakness against the press. We just didn't pass the ball enough to avoid the inevitable traps, especially Wessel. Seems like we had an unnecessary number of turnovers against a team that really isn't known for a nasty press.

Strength: Interior Defense

We have been very solid protecting the interior. This has come mostly from the efforts of Early, Hall, and Orukpe. As a team, we blocked 7 shots against NCC, and held them to very low FG% numbers in the first half. Hall has improved as a shotblocker, and Orukpe is Orukpe. It should be harder to score on us from inside than last year.

Weakness: Jump Shooting

We scored 4 points from pull up jump shots inside the 3PT line. Early is probably our jump shooter, and he really isn't hitting yet. Hall can shoot now, but prefers the inside game.

Strength: Rebounding

Orukpe has improved on the offensive glass, and as a team we have good rebounding at every position. This should be a strength all year long.

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
    For fun, I'm going to share what I feel are our strengths and weaknesses, one game into the season. We'll see how much this changes by the end of the year.

Weakness: Handling Pressure

This could easily improve by the end of the season, but the game against NCC showed a weakness against the press. We just didn't pass the ball enough to avoid the inevitable traps, especially Wessel. Seems like we had an unnecessary number of turnovers against a team that really isn't known for a nasty press.
    I'm not sure that I would call this a weakness yet. 3G on the coaches show after the game said that they weren't able to prepare for the NCC defenses (trapping)becasue they didn't have any video on them to scout (its too early in the year). With an experienced team, they can possibly overcome this on the fly but for an inexperienced team, preparation is paramount.

Comment

I hear Ron Baker bowhunted ram for delicious home made jerky before he could walk. Since then, he harvests what he wants by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
        I'm not sure that I would call this a weakness yet. 3G on the coaches show after the game said that they weren't able to prepare for the NCC defenses (trapping)becasue they didn't have any video on them to scout (its too early in the year). With an experienced team, they can possibly overcome this on the fly but for an inexperienced team, preparation is paramount.
        That's why it is interesting to see how the team changes as the season goes along.

Comment

Strength: Perimeter Scoring

The Shockers have been good on the perimeter, especially freshman Ron Baker and sophomore Evan Wessel. Cleanthony Early hasn't hit his shots in the exhibition game or against NCC, but he can shoot the rock as well. I predict that we may be one of the top two in the Valley at shooting the 3 ball.
          We will likely be a mid-pack 3 point shooting team this year. Creighton can shoot it. Evansville can shoot it. UNI can shoot it. I believe Drake will be very good from 3 this year. Shockers are below the level on those teams at this time.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            We will likely be a mid-pack 3 point shooting team this year. Creighton can shoot it. Evansville can shoot it. UNI can shoot it. I believe Drake will be very good from 3 this year. Shockers are below the level on those teams at this time.
            That depends on whether Ron Baker decides to stop making four 3s a game on 50% shooting. Besides, we have 5 good threats from deep on this team, including Early and White. I don't think the same can be said for the other schools that run their shooting through a couple of men.

Comment

That depends on whether Ron Baker decides to stop making four 3s a game on 50% shooting. Besides, we have 5 good threats from deep on this team, including Early and White. I don't think the same can be said for the other schools that run their shooting through a couple of men.
              1. Baker (excellent)
              2. Cotton (good to very good)
              3. Williams (good)
              4. Wessell (average to good)
              5. VanVleet (yet to see, but think good)
              6. Early (yet to see, but think good)
              7. White (good)
              8. Wiggins (good)
              9. Lufile (if he can dribble,maybe he can shoot too)
              10/11. Hall, Orukpe (better not shoot it)
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

12. Malcolm (0-lifetime)

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                  1. Baker (excellent)
                  2. Cotton (good to very good)
                  3. Williams (good)
                  4. Wessell (average to good)
                  5. VanVleet (yet to see, but think good)
                  6. Early (yet to see, but think good)
                  7. White (good)
                  8. Wiggins (good)
                  9. Lufile (if he can dribble,maybe he can shoot too)
                  10/11. Hall, Orukpe (better not shoot it)
                  I was counting Baker, Wessel, Armstead, Early, and White. I think Cotton, FVV, and Wiggins have potential, but I see them primarily as slashers. Not saying you can't be a both slasher and a shooter, but those players probably will be doing other things most of the time they get the ball.

Comment

3 point shooters:
                    Baker - very good
                    Wessel - has a chance to be a good shooter this year
                    Wiggins - will be a good shooter once he comes around
                    DWill - average shooter
                    Cotton - pretty good but doesn't take enough shots IMO
                    Early - probably an average jump shooter, time will tell
                    White - chance to be a good shooter but may not get a chance to play a lot
                    Armstead - The jury is still out, hasn't shown ability to shoot yet
                    FVV - probably not much of a factor this year in terms of shooting 3's

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      3 point shooters:
                      Baker - very good
                      Wessel - has a chance to be a good shooter this year
                      Wiggins - will be a good shooter once he comes around
                      DWill - average shooter
                      Cotton - pretty good but doesn't take enough shots IMO
                      Early - probably an average jump shooter, time will tell
                      White - chance to be a good shooter but may not get a chance to play a lot
                      Armstead - The jury is still out, hasn't shown ability to shoot yet
                      FVV - probably not much of a factor this year in terms of shooting 3's
                      I think Cotton is pretty good because he is appropriately selective. If he took more shots it means he would be taking bad ones...probably.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        12. Malcolm (0-lifetime)

I remember someone here on this fine forum that was concerned about Mal's ability to consistently knock down the open 3.........Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          I remember someone here on this fine forum that was concerned about Mal's ability to consistently knock down the open 3.........Hmmm.
                          All four of his 3 ball attempts in the last game could be put in the ugly category. Not very encouraging.

Yes, I know. Rags is not coming back.

When Baker, Armstead and Wessel are in the game, then we risk having only one guard, who is 3 ball maker in the game. I know some are sold on Wessel as a starter, but I am in a wait and see mode.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                            All four of his 3 ball attempts in the last game could be put in the ugly category. Not very encouraging.

When Baker, Armstead and Wessel are in the game, then we risk having only one guard, who is 3 ball maker in the game. I know some are sold on Wessel as a starter, but I am in a wait and see mode.
                            Wessel may not be a starter by the end of the season, but I think he can shoot the 3 ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post

Armstead certainly isn't Joe Ragland when it comes to the 3-ball, however I believe he might surprise some of us from long-ball range.

Comment

Working...
                              X