Top Shocker Stories of 2023-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two other things, one not very likely but one that could be:

The Final 4 reunion was seemingly a big deal, Though it would be a sad state if the biggest story of the year was simply a reunion from something that happened 10 years ago, even something as amazing as the Final 4 was.

My other idea that would be major and “department-wide” could be facility updates. The softball complex is getting a major overhaul. The track facility is getting a major overhaul. Even the weight room getting redone (because of a big gift from Fred and others) falls into that as well. Perhaps all of those collectively earn a Top 2 spot.

As 72 said, we should find out tomorrow.
    78-65

Comment

A sleeper candidate would be the raging success of 50 cent hotdog night at The Eck!!

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Shows you what I know…

78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
          Shows you what I know…

Not mentioned by Paul is that Destiny set a new school record in the pentathlon and tied the school record in the indoor high jump.

Comment

Wichita State track star caps year of 5 All-American honors with one more award

Story by Taylor Eldridge

“When I think back to (high school) Destiny when I was that age, I would have never put myself in the position that I am now,” said Masters, who still has one year of eligibility left with the Shockers. “I would never expect myself to be where I am now and doing so well. I never had goals or dreams for anything like this. It’s just so crazy to think back to how far I’ve come.”

Masters is the latest in the long line of small-town Kansas kids who have blossomed into All-American athletes under WSU track and field coach Steve Rainbolt. In fact, she is positioning herself to be at the very top of the list.

Instead of chasing personal-best marks come May and June, Masters had to remind herself to appreciate the experiences and do her best given the circumstances.

“Of course I wanted to do better, but with me still being injured I was just happy to be able to stay in the top-16 and be an All-American in both the heptathlon and high jump,” Masters said. “Honestly, I was just trying to do the best I could with what I had. It was a very frustrating thing, especially when we couldn’t figure out what was going on and we still haven’t figured it out.”

There was a time in Masters’ career where an injury of that nature would have derailed her season.

But in her fifth year of college, the Bluestem graduate has steadily improved her mental fortitude.

Masters will focus on regaining her health the rest of the summer, then gear up for another run at All-American honors in her final season at WSU.

She has big plans: competing for a national championship in the indoor pentathlon with a top-three finish in mind.

One of the biggest challenges for multi-event athletes is staying healthy and physically sound. Let's hope Destiny has a really healthy final season at WSU.

Comment

Addie B's power surge carries her to the top of the heap.

While transfers are the trend, Barnard turned down those opportunities.

"If you love it somewhere, why would I leave?" she said. "They've grown me so much. They took a chance on me."
              In addition to being the 2 best players in Shocker history Syd and Addie will also be forever revered for their loyalty and maturity.​

Comment

Comment

Wow!!! That's sumthing!!!
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Congratulations but it would have been pretty cool to hoist an AAC conference championship trophy as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X