Top Shocker Stories of 2023-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Shocker Stories of 2023-24

Wasn't really sure where to put this. Looks like Paul Suellentrop will be picking what he thinks were the Top 10 Shocker Stories of 2023-24. The question is will Men's Basketball even make the cut. Maybe the Shockers win over Memphis in the AAC Tournament will make the list.

No. 10: Men's Golf Peaks at AAC Championships

No.9: Women's Tennis Makes A Move

No. 8: CC Wong Among Nation's Top Hitters

No. 7: Bowling Adds Championship Credentials To WSU's NCAA Sports

No. 6: Palen, Ndungu Finish Spring As All-Americans

No. 5: Baseball Rebounds To Make Run To AAC Final

No. 4: Men's Basketball Build on Late-Season Success

No. 3: Wichita State Volleyball Wins NIVC Title

No. 2: Destiny Masters Jumps To A "New Level"

No.1: Barnard's Career Rockets to Top of Record Books

Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 1, 2024, 02:38 PM.

8 more to go. I am thinking that will include Volleyball's NIVC title, Men's Basketball's win over Memphis in the AAC Tournament, perhaps Softball's/Addie's run in the AAC Tournament, Softball's CC Wong leading the nation in batting average, Baseball's Caden Favors great year, Track and Field/XC accomplishments from Brady Palen, Destiny Masters. Adria Navajon, Lucy Ndungu and perhaps Josh Parrish, perhaps Women's Bowling National Championship.

Unfortunately no AAC Team Championships nor any NCAA Championship appearances, outside of a few individuals in Track and Field, to celebrate.

Comment

Have to think volleyball is 1 and frankly, baseball getting to the finals and within a run of winning the post season title and getting to the NCAAs probably #2. One could argue baseball had a better year than softball, comparatively speaking. No question Addie and CC individually are in any discussion of best of.

Comment

CC comes in at No. 8 in Paull's estimations. Hell of a year. Unfortunately, it was a one done for CC but she certqainly made it a memorable one.

Comment

The addition of Bowling to the Shockers portfolio of NCAA Sports comes in 7th on Paul's list. Not sure I would rank that above CC's year, although this move could have much longer term significance for Shocker sports and I was anticipating it would make the list.

Comment

6 down, 4 to go. I agree with Doc that the Volleyball team's NIVC Tournament run will be No. 1. I think Adria Navajon winning both the AAC Heptathlon and Decathlon titles has to be in the Top 4 as well. With Caden Favors great year and Destiny Masters year rounding out the top 4. Maybe men's basketball's win over Memphis in the AAC Tournament.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 27, 2024, 11:50 AM.

Comment

No. 4 is the late-season success of men's basketball. I think the win over Memphis was big and probably worth mention as a top story. But this story as written by Paul Suellentrop came across to me as more of story of hope for 2024-25 than it was about any success for the 2023-24 season. Let's hope those hopes are fulfilled in 2024-25.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                No. 4 is the late-season success of men's basketball. I think the win over Memphis was big and probably worth mention as a top story. But this story as written by Paul Suellentrop came across to me as more of story of hope for 2024-25 than it was about any success for the 2023-24 season. Let's hope those hopes are fulfilled in 2024-25.
                Yea there wasn't really any notable last season success outside of the Memphis game. We mainly just beat a bunch of teams we should always beat

Comment

Volleyball 3rd? That surprises me a bit.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I’m guessing Addie’s conference tournament run and reaching 4th all-time in HRs is probably one of the other two. Then maybe a department-wide topic, such as the evolution of Armchair to Wheat Shock Collective.
                    Last edited by WuShock16; June 27, 2024, 01:21 PM.
                    78-65

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      Volleyball 3rd? That surprises me a bit.
                      Yes, that surprised me a little as well. I guess we'll have to see what comes in at 1 and 2.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                        I’m guessing Addie’s conference tournament run and reaching 4th all-time in HRs is probably one of the other two. Then maybe a department-wide topic, such as the evolution of Armchair to Wheat Shock Collective.
                        I would be a little bit surprised if one of the remaining 2 stories isn't the very successful years from our multi-event track athletes, Adria Navajon and Destiny Masters.

And then there is also the great year Caden Favors had on the mound although Caden was mentioned in the Baseball Rebounds story at No. 5.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I would be a little bit surprised if one of the remaining 2 stories isn't the very successful years from our multi-event track athletes, Adria Navajon and Destiny Masters.

And then there is also the great year Caden Favors had on the mound although Caden was mentioned in the Baseball Rebounds story at No. 5.
                          There was already an article about a couple of track kids getting All-American honors. Why Destiny wasn't mentioned, I don't know.

But barring a track kid winning an individual natty, I can't think that track would get a Top 2 story in the scope of the whole athletics department or would get multiple listings on a Top 10 list when some of the other major sports are getting one listing (my theory has softball getting two).
                          Last edited by WuShock16; June 27, 2024, 04:12 PM.
                          78-65

Comment

There was already an article about a couple of track kids getting All-American honors. Why Destiny wasn't mentioned, I don't know.

But barring a track kid winning an individual natty, I can't think that track would get a Top 2 story in the scope of the whole athletics department or would get multiple listings on a Top 10 list when some of the other major sports are getting one listing (my theory has softball getting two).
                            That's a logical take. I assume we find out tomorrow.

Comment

What Addie did in the conference tournament might be one of the most impressive things i've ever seen an athlete do.

Comment

Working...
                              X