Grade your surprises...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grade your surprises...

...maybe not the right phrase, but from listening to the game, My biggest would be Wessel's offensive flurry, EO's presence(I would have liked to see this) and Hall's aggressive nature on offense....Malcom sounded very solid as well.

Wessel going 4-4 in the first half from deep is what surprised me the most.
    Livin the dream

Comment

1. Wessel
      2. Early's size (bigger than I thought, noticeably longer than Hall)
      3. Offensive Proficiency:

I thought that at this point in the season, we'd be as good or better defensively, but considerably worse on offense. I thought we'd be sloppy and look like a team just put together. If this is our offense when i should be playing bad, I almost don't want to see it when we are on our game.

Comment

Coach Marshall's ability to sell this program. (OK maybe that's not a BIG surprise)

Think of it, last night our second leading scorer was a Red-Shirt Freshman who HCGM was able to convince to not only red-shirt, but PAY HIS OWN WAY during that redshirt year. I do understand he was "under recruited", but still...

Not only that, our starting point guard last night, was another guy that HCGM convinced to come here and PAY HIS OWN WAY during his red-shirt/transfer year. Don't forget that guy had just set the Oregan steals recorded the year before.

On top of that, we have another transfer PAYING HIS OWN WAY during his redshirt/transfer year, who I think will be a nice addition to our team next year.

Can any other team say the same thing about their coach?

Being able to bring quality recruits into a program is one thing, but being able to bring quality and have them pay for their first year...wow!

I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but I thought it was worth pondering again.

Comment

I agree with all these, but mostly the last...outstanding!

Comment

I cannot say that I wasn't a bit surprised by 4-5 from Evan, because that is unreal for ANYBODY, but I was really surprised with how confident he stroked all of them -- good square up, dtepped into it a bit, and let it swish. Kennedy said one was a bit flat, but nothing but net.

I don't know what the stats were for the firwst half, but I was surprised at how deemingly few turnovers we had at half while scoring 54 points.

Also a surprise was Early's nerves, but wow what a playah he will be.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

My biggest surprise of the night was Nick Wiggins who played much better against PSU than he did at Shocker Madness. Of course, the competition at Shocker Madness was much stronger.

While Nick had a very nice night on offense there were a couple of possessions on defense late in the game that actually caught my eye where Nick was guarding the PSU point guard and had no problem staying with him and keeping him in front of him.

I think Nick is capable of being a taller, longer version of Toure with a better all-around offensive game.

I was also surprised that Cleanthony struggled as much as he did on offense, but I was pleased that he did not let that effect his effort and hustle as he lead the Shocks in rebounding and showed that he is capable of being a disruptive presence on defense. I'm not really worried about his offensive game, it will no doubt come around as the game slows down a little for him and if he let's the game come to him.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 6, 2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

My name is POGO and I approve of all the aforementioned comments. Get out and vote.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  Get out and vote.
                  The line was too long this morning. I'll try again tomorrow.

Comment

Biggest surprise, Carl's glasses. Do you suppose there is a cape under that uniform?
                    Surprised at Evan starting the game. It is hard to evaluate "Want To" and he has a lot of "Want To". Gregg loves "Want To".
                    Surprised at how easily we scored 50+ points in the first half. Don't care who the opponent was.
                    Surprised at how almost every combination, and believe me there were a lot of combinations, produced.
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

How about EO with 23 minutes and only 2 fouls…no turnovers.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

The EO line jumped out at me as well.....

Comment

Early's 1-11, we will not see that again.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

Trop, you should have seen him. My God.

Comment

Working...
                            X