Gorillas at Shockers: Postgame Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Gotta be honest, hearing Evan and Baker announced as starters from Wichita Kansas and Scott City Kansas gave me a Chris Matthews moment.
    Does anyone know when the last time was that we started 2 players from Kansas?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      The band has improved. They played a new tune in which at one point all the members were singing a verse in reference to the "shockers" I think. I dunno what it was but maybe they should communicate what they were singing in that tune to the student section so the students can sing it along with them.
      I was sitting right in front of the band. They were chanting "You don't want to go to war with the Shockers". It's a catchy tune. My roommate plays and he said there are steps being made to try and get the student section to sing along. If it works, it'll be awesome.
      Three things in life are constant- death, taxes, and Creighton losing in the first weekend of the tournament.

AAC or Bust!

Comment

The band has improved. They played a new tune in which at one point all the members were singing a verse in reference to the "shockers" I think. I dunno what it was but maybe they should communicate what they were singing in that tune to the student section so the students can sing it along with them.
        Song title: War
        Lyrics: You don't want to go to war/With the Shockers/Don't start no stuff/Won't be no stuff

Comment

I suppose nothing's new under the sun, but one of our upcoming opponents may have already popularized this:

"War Song: (lyrics) You don't want to go to war! With the RAMS! Don't start no stuff won't be no stuff!"

Comment

Yeah, they probably got it from us at the NCAA tournament. VCU's been doing that for awhile now going back at least a couple of seasons.

You'll definitely hear that in our game on the 13th.

Comment

Originally posted by DistrictBaller View Post
              Yeah, they probably got it from us at the NCAA tournament. VCU's been doing that for awhile now going back at least a couple of seasons.

You'll definitely hear that in our game on the 13th.
              I actually didn't hear the song in the NCAA tournament, but I'm not saying it isn't possible.

Comment

We played it. We always do. That's been a tradition for over 2 seasons now.

Comment

We played it. We always do. That's been a tradition for over 2 seasons now.
                  Now THAT'S tradition.

Comment

We've played it every game since we brought it in. It is a tradition, although a newer one but it's as much a part of our games as anything else and has been for a while now.

I'm not surprised Wichita State is bringing it in. They're not the first to have done so after hearing us play it. It's a great chant and really gets the crowd into it. Everything in college basketball is imitated in some way, shape, or form from somebody else. I believe we actually got it from a HBCU initially so it's not ours originally anyway.

Koch will rock to that soon enough when everyone learns it.

Here's us playing it out in Portland during the NCAA tournament with Matt Norlander filming this for an article he did on the band for CBSSports:

Last edited by DistrictBaller; November 6, 2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      Now THAT'S tradition.
                      About the same as their "winning" tradition... during the last couple years or so. It might even be about the same time DistrictBaller started following his new favorite team.

T

...:cool:

Comment

We've been pretty good for a while man. I've been following the Rams since '05-06 when I got to VCU. We've been pretty decent (top 100) the last 10 years and our winning tradition goes back further than that into the early 80's despite being a very young university.

Not that that has anything to do with the chant or where it came from.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          I have no memory of anyone as athletic as Cleanthony in a Shocker uniform. Ever.
                          I hear you!

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                          EO was credited with ZERO turnovers, but he lost one entry pass off his hands OB on the north end and ond pass on the Southwest side bounced off his chest for a turnover. I don't know if Malcom made both those passes, but if he did, that would be two TOs for each of them instead of zero and four.
                          One of those passes was so bad even EO had no chance of reaching it. The other I didn't witness. All in all, not bad for his first game in which he received significant minutes.

I hate to point this out but I think by the time we really get "challenged" in a game, say for example against VCU, you're gonna realize how big of a liability EO is out there on offense. And I think most teams that scout at a kindergarten level will understand EO's abilities and disabilities. Remember, this was Pittsburg State. If there ever was a game EO should have had an easy double-double, this was it.
                          Keep it up buster! Would you like me to put you down on the reservation list at Cafe de' Crow?

This was EO's first real game and they hardly got him the ball. He played some great defense and made sweet moves to the basket (when he took his time). A couple of his rushed shots looked no worse than some I used to see from Stutz. He needs to get the rock on the block consistently during these cupcake games. Truthfully, everybody wanted to score it last night (especially Cle') so nobody cared to find EO. Coach will most likely discuss all the missed opportunities last night in getting the ball down low and how important it is to develop that aspect of our game for later in the season. EO was wide open several times when a guard decided to jack it up. Those 3 balls aren't going to drop every night. I'll make a bet with you that EO's shooting percentage from 2ft will be higher than our team's 3pt percentage.

EO will be a liability at the line, I will concede that. Most centers are.

T

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            I hope it was the 2008 thrill up your leg and not the 2012 stroke.
                            Too close to call.

Comment

We've been pretty good for a while man. I've been following the Rams since '05-06 when I got to VCU. We've been pretty decent (top 100) the last 10 years and our winning tradition goes back further than that into the early 80's despite being a very young university.

Not that that has anything to do with the chant or where it came from.

In the 2011 NCAA tournament, VCU qualified as an at-large bid, having to play in the newly formatted tournament's "First Four" against USC. The decision to allow VCU to participate in the tournament was widely criticized among pundits and the media.[5] VCU defeated USC 59-46 in the "First Four" play-in game. VCU then went on to upset Georgetown 74-56 in the round of 64. The 11th-seeded VCU Rams then upset 3rd-seeded Purdue 94-76 to advance to the Sweet 16 for the first time in school history. In the sweet sixteen, VCU defeated 10th-seeded Florida State 72-71 on a last second bucket in overtime to advance to the Elite 8 for the first time in school history. VCU beat #1 seeded Kansas in the Southwest Regional final by a score of 71-61. It was the Rams' first trip to the Final Four. Against Butler in the Final Four, VCU lost 70-62, ending "one of the greatest Cinderella stories of all time."[6]
                              Tradition is an important word to define correctly.

T

Comment

Well it depends on what you want to define as a winning tradition. VCU has been to the NCAA's 11 times (WSU 9) and advanced 7 times (WSU 4). We've had 7 losing seasons in the history of our program since 1968 when it started, Wichita State has 18 losing seasons in that time.

We were as high as a 2-seed in the NCAA's and have been a 6-seed or higher 4 times. We've been to 5 NCAA tournaments in the last 9 years with 7 NCAA wins in that time (2 in the last 24 for WSU with 2 NCAA wins) and finished in the top 90 RPI in each of the last 10 seasons.

I'm sure you think Wichita State has a lot of winning tradition in their over 100 years of basketball. VCU stacks up favorably in a fraction of
                                the time as a D1 program. It's all a matter of perspective.

Again none of that has anything to do with the chant or that you got it from us.
                                Last edited by DistrictBaller; November 6, 2012, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X