No announcement yet.

Gorillas at Shockers: Postgame Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing that I loved the most was the trap / press. If we unleash that every game for 40 minutes I think other teams will just give up! It was lethal and it won't just be effective on the likes of Pittsburg State.

The Valley better get ready because we are on the move.

Comment

EO was credited with ZERO turnovers, but he lost one entry pass off his hands OB on the north end and ond pass on the Southwest side bounced off his chest for a turnover. I don't know if Malcom made both those passes, but if he did, that would be two TOs for each of them instead of zero and four.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

So who redshirts? I'm assuming Green...but anybody else? It's hard for me to find another one.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
          EO was credited with ZERO turnovers, but he lost one entry pass off his hands OB on the north end and ond pass on the Southwest side bounced off his chest for a turnover. I don't know if Malcom made both those passes, but if he did, that would be two TOs for each of them instead of zero and four.
          I agree on one. The first had EO lunging for it, so I thought the scorer giving it to the passer was the right call.
          Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

What was up with the crowd last night? I know it was an exhibition game, but there wasn't much clapping in the pregame warmup or during timeouts with the fight song. The loudest the crowd got was when 2/3 of the arena was empty and we were going for 100. I know this will get better.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
              What was up with the crowd last night? I know it was an exhibition game, but there wasn't much clapping in the pregame warmup or during timeouts with the fight song. The loudest the crowd got was when 2/3 of the arena was empty and we were going for 100. I know this will get better.
              The Shocks jumped on the Gorillas so fast and furious that this game was pretty much over in hurry and at that point I think the crowd mellowed out a lot, which is understandable. Yes, it should get better.

Comment

Paul Suellentrop's the Day After Blog:

My favorite observation:

Ron Baker was the only starter to make his Division I debut. He didn’t look the least bit out of place, authoring a chapter on the benefits of redshirting.

Comment

I was impressed with how at ease EW seemed to be. Baker hit a three right off the bat and then took what looked like 2 more shots that were awful. I like the fact that Baker feels pride in hearing his home town announced and I can imagine every THE kansas state university fan just crap every time they think of a western kansas kid playing for the Shocks and what could have been. The team looked like it flowed pretty well on offense with not alot of standing around wondering where they were supposed to be. Obviously scoring a hundred points means the offensive efficiency was doing well. EO looke much more comfortable and even though he didn't score alot he took up alot of space on both ends and commanded a double team all the time. Most of the new guys played within themselves and not out of control like so many of these games can disintegrate into. All in all a very nice start. BTW I want EW on my side in a fight.

Comment

I've been touting Baker for more than a year now. He was better last night than even I anticipated. He makes everyone on the floor better, and he isn't a liability anywhere.

VCU is going to be a big challenge for these guys, and I hope they are up to it, because they have the ability to be.

Comment

Gotta be honest, hearing Evan and Baker announced as starters from Wichita Kansas and Scott City Kansas gave me a Chris Matthews moment.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        Gotta be honest, hearing Evan and Baker announced as starters from Wichita Kansas and Scott City Kansas gave me a Chris Matthews moment.
                        I hope it was the 2008 thrill up your leg and not the 2012 stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          When EO was in the game, he disrupted the Gorillas' D. To keep EO from getting dunks, the D had to cheat the passing lanes and cheat a front court defender into a position to be a help defender. Wessel and Hall (in particular) scored at will against that D.

Orukpe doesn't have to score much to be an offensive presence.
                          I hate to point this out but I think by the time we really get "challenged" in a game, say for example against VCU, you're gonna realize how big of a liability EO is out there on offense. And I think most teams that scout at a kindergarten level will understand EO's abilities and disabilities. Remember, this was Pittsburg State. If there ever was a game EO should have had an easy double-double, this was it.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
                            Lame exhibition type crowd, but as 72 said, a big pounding like that takes most of the energy out of the place, although I love when WSU smashes opponents so we stayed the entire duration (although the second half foulfest was quite a shot in the foot). I guess it's better than what the team up northeast faced in a non-blowout win over Washburn. Somebody needs to organize the student section. They were a disengaged mess. They probably too had the energy zapped out of them after the first half blitz, but still, during opposing free throws, they were pretty lame. Get better students for when it counts (like Saturday). The band has improved. They played a new tune in which at one point all the members were singing a verse in reference to the "shockers" I think. I dunno what it was but maybe they should communicate what they were singing in that tune to the student section so the students can sing it along with them.

In-game production again wasn't bad for a first exhibition game. Already a step up from last year.
                            Last edited by ShockerFever; November 6, 2012, 11:58 AM.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              I hate to point this out but I think by the time we really get "challenged" in a game, say for example against VCU, you're gonna realize how big of a liability EO is out there on offense. And I think most teams that scout at a kindergarten level will understand EO's abilities and disabilities. Remember, this was Pittsburg State. If there ever was a game EO should have had an easy double-double, this was it.
                              I will say the frantic style the VCU plays certainly doesn't play to EO's strength, but if the Shocks decide to press VCU, EO can be a very valuable asset on the back end of that press.

In any case, it seems pretty clear that Chadrack will not be ready to contribute much come VCU game day so EO is going to have to give us what he can in the VCU game.

Comment

I don't know how many noticed but White did play some 5 during the game with Early at the 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X