Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If there were a SOS for Valley games only, then.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If there were a SOS for Valley games only, then.....

I'm an outsider here, and I KNOW that most posters here on ShockerNet have all but thrown in the towel for this year, but I for one wouldn't be so quick to throw the Shockers under the bus.

WSU has played the toughest (first third) MVC sched of ANY school. 2 games against ISU-Red, one against CU, one against DU means that 4 of their 6 have been against the top 3 teams. You can be a cynic and say that the Shockers helped put those top 3 teams in their postions, but in reality ALL 3 were playing extremely well coming into Valley play.

So that means WSU have split with the other 2 teams. Bradley is usually a TOUGH place to win at, and MSU who desperately needed to defend home court.....that kind of puts things in perspective a bit. If there was a SOS for Valley games only, then the Shockers would indeed have the #1 SOS so far. No doubt about it.

Have a feeling things are going to be looking up real quick for WSU. 3 out of the next 4 Valley games are at home, and all are against VERY beatable foes. The road game at SIU could be a tough one, but other than St. Mary's (who I'm still not sold on), who exactly have the Saukis beat at home? Northern Illinois (who's GOD AWFUL), a so-so WKU Hilltopper team, a struggling Ruffin-less BU team, and a wildly inconsistent MSU team.....NOT exactly a murderer's row.

Have a feeling that the old SIU Arena home court advantage might not be what it's been in years past. Anyway, just as an observer I look at it that out of the remaining 12 Valley games, the Shockers only have 2 left against the top 3 teams. Just some thoughts for Shocker Nation. :)
    KEEP IT ROCKIN' VALLEY!!!!

Re: If there were a SOS for Valley games only, then.....

Originally posted by valleyclimber
    I'm an outsider here, and I KNOW that most posters here on ShockerNet have all but thrown in the towel for this year, but I for one wouldn't be so quick to throw the Shockers under the bus.

WSU has played the toughest (first third) MVC sched of ANY school. 2 games against ISU-Red, one against CU, one against DU means that 4 of their 6 have been against the top 3 teams. You can be a cynic and say that the Shockers helped put those top 3 teams in their postions, but in reality ALL 3 were playing extremely well coming into Valley play.

So that means WSU have split with the other 2 teams. Bradley is usually a TOUGH place to win at, and MSU who desperately needed to defend home court.....that kind of puts things in perspective a bit. If there was a SOS for Valley games only, then the Shockers would indeed have the #1 SOS so far. No doubt about it.

Have a feeling things are going to be looking up real quick for WSU. 3 out of the next 4 Valley games are at home, and all are against VERY beatable foes. The road game at SIU could be a tough one, but other than St. Mary's (who I'm still not sold on), who exactly have the Saukis beat at home? Northern Illinois (who's GOD AWFUL), a so-so WKU Hilltopper team, a struggling Ruffin-less BU team, and a wildly inconsistent MSU team.....NOT exactly a murderer's row.

Have a feeling that the old SIU Arena home court advantage might not be what it's been in years past. Anyway, just as an observer I look at it that out of the remaining 12 Valley games, the Shockers only have 2 left against the top 3 teams. Just some thoughts for Shocker Nation. :)
    Good points, thanks for the post.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Way to stay Positive ,,, ( I LIKE IT )
      From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

Whats the over under on the HIGHEST shooting percentage in the WSU=SIU game? My bet is 32%. Whichever team gets 32% wins and maybe wins big.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Good post valleyclimber. I was thinking the same thing. Only three rough valley road games left. SIU, DU, CU. After that, should all be cake. So I guess we can't throw them under the buss. We'll just make them drive it.

:D
          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Re: If there were a SOS for Valley games only, then.....

Originally posted by valleyclimber
            Have a feeling things are going to be looking up real quick for WSU. 3 out of the next 4 Valley games are at home, and all are against VERY beatable foes. Anyway, just as an observer I look at it that out of the remaining 12 Valley games, the Shockers only have 2 left against the top 3 teams.
            You obviously didn't see us play Monmouth and UMKC. Also, we still stink at 3 pt shooting and lost our only true PG. Our shooting percentage didn't suddenly drop once we got into MVC play, it's been horrid all year, in addition, losing our PG didn't help matters either.

Love your first post, don't love the smoke being blown up our butts. Just kidding, I know what you meant. :D

Comment

Didnt think of that. I hope your right! :posterwsu: :posterwu: :goshocks: 8)
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

The shooting percentage is bound to come up to speed sometime. The way I see it we have the chance of firing on all cylinders by the time we make it to the mvc tournament. If the good shockers of lsu show up its an entirely different season.
                J

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu
                  Whats the over under on the HIGHEST shooting percentage in the WSU=SIU game? My bet is 32%. Whichever team gets 32% wins and maybe wins big.
                  Heck. The first one to 32 points probably wins.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

It is refreshing to see a positive outlook in a unique way. A nice way to charge our batteries so to speak.

The thing that bothers me is their competitive spirit. They're suffering from an identity crisis. On the one hand there's the first team...

* Played almost everyone closely
                    * Beat LSU (by 20), UAB, launched a strong 2nd half comeback against Bradley
                    * Almost beats Creighton

Then there's the 'other' team...

* Gets blown out by Mo. State and Ill. State and looks uninspired.

It's kind of a question of which team shows up.

My pessimism is coming through.... oops, and this was a positive thread. Actually, I really DO appreciate the optimism of the first post. With all this SC talk it's nice to have something positive to think about.

Comment

Wow!

Good heavens, climber -- a post with facts, intelligence, and perspective in the midst of panic, carping, and cries that the sky is falling? That won't do at all.

But thanks anyway. It may have been the best first Shockernet post of all time.

Comment

Re: Wow!

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
                        Good heavens, climber -- a post with facts, intelligence, and perspective in the midst of panic, carping, and cries that the sky is falling? That won't do at all.

But thanks anyway. It may have been the best first Shockernet post of all time.
                        I think it was the best first. And we need more optimism it is desperately needed in shockerland.
                        J

Comment

Working...
                        X