Biggest hyped recruit that was a disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
    How really good was Johnny? Did he project as a pretty early starter?
    Was an 86 on ESPN (no. 40 F), 3 star on scout (no. 26 SF), 3 star on rivlas (no. 23 F).

So I don't know how he actually was but those where his rankings out of high school. At the time I would guess he could have played considerable minutes. Marshall doesn't f around though. He wants players committed to the program (not blaming that on Coy as he didn't have a choice really).

Comment

You guys go easy on Brian Ewell. He is a great guy and a big time Shocker fan.
      Professional gas passer.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
        Probably 1993-94. I think that was the off-season that the Wiggins incident went down and John Smith went full-Klitschko on his girlfriend. We also had a recruit or two fail to make grades and didn't find out until about August.
        You're right, it was the 93-94 season. However, there were actually 5 walk-ons that filled spots on the team. Though, one was already an invited walk-on, Brian Cupps. (He could really shoot lights out and was actually probably the best shooter on the team. He just lacked the D-1 athleticism to contribute.)

BandG, I knew Brian Ewell a little bit (back in the day). You're right he always seemed to be a good guy. Probably why I came to his defense a little bit.

(You all can probably guess what era I attended WSU.)

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
          Probably 1993-94. I think that was the off-season that the Wiggins incident went down and John Smith went full-Klitschko on his girlfriend. We also had a recruit or two fail to make grades and didn't find out until about August.
          They had a senior quit after Mike and John were cut. KC sumptin?
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            They had a senior quit after Mike and John were cut. KC sumptin?
            KC Hunt? Does that sound right?

Comment

I’m probably mistaken, however I thought KC Hunt completed his career at WSU. His bio states that he graduated from ‘THE’ Ohio State University and now coaches at Wilmington College of Ohio.

“Hunt played collegiate basketball at Wichita State University, and ended his career as the Shockers’ all-time assists leader.”

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

It was KC Hunt. He actually quit during the season. I don't remember exactly when but it was early on after the first few games. The sad part was he was actually playing some of his better basketball. However, I think he got tired of loosing and quit.

I read somewhere that he has more losses as a player than any other player in the history of WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                  I’m probably mistaken, however I thought KC Hunt completed his career at WSU. His bio states that he graduated from ‘THE’ Ohio State University and now coaches at Wilmington College of Ohio.

“Hunt played collegiate basketball at Wichita State University, and ended his career as the Shockers’ all-time assists leader.”

He transferred to OSU that spring semester after he quit the team during the fall and completed his degree work there. I believe he's from Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Where in the world are they getting that all-time assist leader thing from?
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by jrschh View Post
                      It was KC Hunt. He actually quit during the season. I don't remember exactly when but it was early on after the first few games. The sad part was he was actually playing some of his better basketball. However, I think he got tired of loosing and quit.

I read somewhere that he has more losses as a player than any other player in the history of WSU.
                      Poor guy. He got Jason Perez'd.

Comment

Here is my choice for over rated, not over hyped. Of course, there may a lot of commonality in the two categories.

I do not remember his name, but he played one year for Coach Turgeon in the early years of his tenure. He probably was a small forward. Pretty athletic. Big jumper. I think he transferred to an Oklahoma school. His name is right on the tip of my tongue. He had an infectious personality. Very sunshiny.

I remember that most posters were very enamored with him.

It was not Adam Liberty, who was a guard. Now he was an athlete. I still remember one of his drives to the basket, which ended with a thunder dunk. Alas, there were not enough of them plus the diameter of the basket was too small for him.
                        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Arbry Butler?
                          Duke Tshomba?
                          Calvin Walls?

My guess is RDR is thinking of Calvin Walls.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 3, 2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Walls was a PF that transferred north I believe.

Tshomba was a JUCO transfer, but otherwise he fits the bill.

Jamie Sowers from NJ is my bet. Shared forward duties with Howard and Kampman.

Dion Sherrell from Michigan was the other highly touted freshman from Turgeon's first recruiting class that transferred.

Sherrell, Sowers, Howard, Kampman, Miller and unheralded Randy Burns made for a fine Freshman recruiting class.

I also believe that Aaron Hogg was in that class and possibly Fridge Holman who spent a third year at JUCO getting his degree.
                            Last edited by wufan; November 3, 2012, 11:33 AM.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Walls transferred to Tulsa and wound up having a fairly nice career.

Comment

What about OJ Robinson…I think he graduated from WSU.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X