Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The State of Mid-Major Basketball (Talks $ spending, CU & WSU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of Mid-Major Basketball (Talks $ spending, CU & WSU)

Really good article and it's just part 1.

Mentions that Creighton spends like Gonzaga, but hasn't seen the return in spending to see themselves elevated to the next level (being a team in a mid major conference, but viewed as a major program).
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Just to prove how difficult it is for a high mid-major to be successful and to sustain that success. We do rather well for a mid in terms of upgrading facilities, paying the coaching staff, etc., but three NCAA tournament appearances in the past quarter century doesn't spell out success.

The trick for a high mid is to make an extended run of NCAA appearances in order for the national audience to know, remember and apply that school's name to success like Gonzaga. That is extremely difficult to do.

At WSU, I temper my expectations with realistic views of who we are and what we are up against. We don't get the McDonald All-Americans, we don't get the scheduling benefits like the big boys do, we don't have the money, we don't get the national media exposure, all these things are killing us and these factors will never change to our benefit or ever be equal. Kudos to GM for doing what he can to make us relevant, kudos to the WSU fans who support the program like they do but in order for us to make that next step (i.e., the Gonzaga of the midwest), we need to start being consistent in making the post season on a regular basis. That's the million dollar dilemma though.

Comment

Rent's a *****.

T

...:cool:

Comment

The Zags and BYU taken out, he says "here are mid-major programs that spend a lot: Creighton (58th), Richmond (74th), Dayton (78th) and Wichita State (80th)" on basketball. Anybody have have the dollar amounts?

I must say I'm disappointed that Creighton is the one propping up MVC spending. I'm ready to give a chuck of my checking account if Charles Koch and others do the same. With Coach Marshall, and given equal resources, I'm confident WSU can be the Gonzaga of the mid-west.
        In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post

I must say I'm disappointed that Creighton is the one propping up MVC spending. I'm ready to give a chuck of my checking account if Charles Koch and others do the same. With Coach Marshall, and given equal resources, I'm confident WSU can be the Gonzaga of the mid-west.
          Don't be fooled by counting rent being paid to Century link. WSU would spend just as much if it rented Intrust.

Comment

CU spends slightly less than 1 million more a year than WSU on basketball. I imagine Rent is at least that. (to DJA this isn't an attack on renting just pointing out where the extra money being spent is coming from).

Comment

I was not that impressed by the article.
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Working...
              X