Men's Basketball Team Votes to Unionize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's Basketball Team Votes to Unionize

Dartmouth men's basketball team votes to unionize, though steps remain before forming labor union
    http://​​​​​​​https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/dartmouth-men-s-basketball-team-votes-to-unionize-though-steps-remain-in-forming-labor-union/ar-BB1jnHg7?ocid=winp2fptaskbarent&cvid=f18cceb6477b4 1ffb279bfee14833f1f&ei=12&sc=shoreline
    Story by JIMMY GOLEN
    ​​​​​​​AP Sports Writer

"ANOVER, N.H. (AP) — The Dartmouth men's basketball team voted to unionize Tuesday in an unprecedented step toward forming the first labor union for college athletes and another attack on the NCAA's deteriorating amateur business model. In an election supervised by the National Labor Relations Board in the school's Human Resources offices, the players voted 13-2 to join Service Employees International Union Local 560, which already represents some Dartmouth workers. Every player on the roster participated...."

yuck

Comment

Might want to move this to NCAA thread (though I think it has already been discussed there) and rename thread title so as to not give impression that WSU's team did this...
      78-65

Comment

I think the main reason the Ivy League athletes are looking at this is that they are restricted and almost banned from taking NIL. They essentially can just get discounts for stuff and not money.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
          I think the main reason the Ivy League athletes are looking at this is that they are restricted and almost banned from taking NIL. They essentially can just get discounts for stuff and not money.
          Ivys also don't give out athletic scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
            How can they be banned from taking NIL?
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

How can they be banned from taking NIL?
              Was thinking the same. I'm guessing the service academy athletes are the only ones prohibited from accepting NIL.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Was thinking the same. I'm guessing the service academy athletes are the only ones prohibited from accepting NIL.
                Not even sure then?

Comment

Not even sure then?
                  I know for a fact service academy athletes are prohibited from NIL. What do you know?

Comment

I know for a fact service academy athletes are prohibited from NIL. What do you know?
                    I don't know anything. I just wondered if they were allowed to work outside of school and duty, and then they could argue this is just a job? Makes sense they wouldn't be allowed to though.

Comment

Not even sure then?
                      If you are in the service academies you are a employee of Uncle Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

If you are in the service academies you are a employee of Uncle Sam.
                        I understand. But are they allowed to invest in stocks to earn extra income? Gamble on the weekends? Purchase income properties? Wash cars on the weekends? Start an LLC? Start a trust? I don't know where their ability to earn extra income above and beyond what Uncle Sam pays them stops?
                        Last edited by Kung Wu; March 6, 2024, 06:50 AM.

Comment

[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/thecoolidge-c...CDqsAZx3f5NypP[/img]

I wonder when WuShock will cross the picket line or will he join the Union?

Comment

I understand. But are they allowed to invest in stocks to earn extra income? Gamble on the weekends? Purchase income properties? Wash cars on the weekends? Start an LLC? Start a trust? I don't know where their ability to earn extra income above and beyond what Uncle Sam pays them stops?
                            I'm guessing Uncle Sam will say that the SA athletes cannot lay claim to Name Image and Likeness, which was created and belongs to the military. As a veteran I will say you give up a lot of individual freedoms wearing the uniform.

Comment

I'm guessing Uncle Sam will say that the SA athletes cannot lay claim to Name Image and Likeness, which was created and belongs to the military. As a veteran I will say you give up a lot of individual freedoms wearing the uniform.
                              It makes sense.

My question with it is that NIL athletes aren't actually able to represent their school/organization when doing endorsements. For example, they can't wear a uniform, etc because they aren't representing the school ... they are only representing themselves.

So if the gov't argues that a serviceman can't do NIL because they can't represent their school/organization/gov't while holding public office (or something) that doesn't seem to connect with me because they aren't.

I think a serviceman would win in court based on how prior rulings have gone down, but the risk to the first guy is super high. God help him if he loses too. Hahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X