Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many wins would you consider as representing a "reload" year in 2012-13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many wins would you consider as representing a "reload" year in 2012-13?

There has been discussion whether we are "rebuilding" or "reloading" this season. The scoring/participation minutes/rebounding loss has been substantial, but the athleticism and performance ratings of the newcomers is exciting, to say the least. So what, in your estimation, is the number of wins that you think would qualify WSU as having a "reload" year?
    Under 18
    0.00%
    18 - 19
    2.13%
    20 - 21
    21.28%
    22 - 23
    42.55%
    24 - 25
    25.53%
    26 - 27
    6.38%
    28 - 29
    2.13%
    30 - 31
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

However many it takes to make the NCAA tournament.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

In my view, 24 wins is the baseline for being considered a reloading year (with an assumption of 10-3 or better in non-con and 14-4 or better in conference). This isn't counting any postseason play. On the other hand, I tend to agree with @Kung Wu: that a better measure of reloading is getting an NCAA bid than raw win total.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Marshall averages 22 wins a year if you average all 5 seasons. I'll go with that.

On the other hand, I am tempted to go with Valley wins as my bench mark since the Valley schedule is more consistent in difficulty and has meaning at the end of the season beyond a yes or no "did we make the NCAA's or not". If we're talking MVC, I would say 12 or 13 wins. 14-4 wins the Valley pretty often. 22 total wins and 12 conference wins is the bottom of what I could still say was very little drop off. Depending on the strength of schedule, that could still be NCAA worthy.

Marshall has 25, 29 & 27 wins the last 3 years. He really set the bar high for himself didn't he :)

Comment

By the way, the only reason I don't feel like I can go with whether or not we make the NCAA tournament is that we are always so very subject to the bubble. Even in good years, we have missed chances because of RPI. While I would love to make it every year, I have to judge my view of this subject (rebuild/reload) on just plain wins or Valley finish. I totally see the position, though.

I still expect Marshall to have us there often as long as we have him. He will make this program a consistent NCAA team. This year is one of those years I will be using to answer the question of "just how good of a coach is he?" since there are so many variables and newcomers. I see him beating my expectations because he meets and exceeds them every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              That's a minimum of 4 right?

Comment

I will go with 23-24, but I didn't vote because that wasn't an option.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I will go with 23-24, but I didn't vote because that wasn't an option.
                  Thus, you should vote for 22-23, your lowest tolerable number. The categories were combined to cover two specific numbers so as to be contained in a reasonable number of categories.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

No more than 4 losses in the MVC. I can't provide a number on total wins because it depends on what preseason tournaments we are in each year. To me, the best measurement is the number of wins in the Valley.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      This.

Comment

What is it called when you lose a ton of players, are picked to be 'rebuilding' by the mvc, are told by your own best fans (SN) that about 22-25 wins is called a 'reload' and then you make the s16...wins at 28+ effectively surpassing the previous strong season.

Is that like a gun upgrade?
                        Last edited by Dave Stalwart; March 27, 2013, 08:54 AM.

Comment

At this point, we are like Bruce Willis in Pulp Fiction where he is going through the pawn shop.

The Pitt game was the hammer, the Gonzaga game was the baseball bat.....

Not satisfied, keep looking!
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                          X