Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    It's just my opinion, but if there isn't room for student athletes the likes of Xavier Bell and Harlond Beverly on a 13 man Wichita State roster, then there isn't room for me as a fan.

I'm not saying they should be 40 minute guys or that they're going to be the next Fred VanVleet and Tekele Cotton. But if they want to commit to this program, by God we should be committing to supporting them. Excellent examples of student athletes and representatives of our University.
    Several days late, but this....not stars but good TEAM guys....

Comment

• Would Rogers have to sit a year as a second time transfer? Seems like the rule has changed more than Kim Kardashians husbands so I can’t keep it straight.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
        Would Rogers have to sit a year as a second time transfer? Seems like the rule has changed more than Kim Kardashians husbands so I can’t keep it straight.
        Current injunction covers through the end of academic year which goes through summer. So no one will have to sit if they transfer this spring

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Curious who is excluded from the “bulk”.
          That was my comment I believe. What it means is that I would like to see all of the team return. I believe there are only one or two spots open currently. After Mills has his meetings to discern the desires and intents of each player, I hope the majority stay, and of course I would like the contributes from this year more than any others.
          Most here on SN want to weed the team down to just a few guys from this year. They base the their opinion on a single year of performance, while learning under a new coach. I would rather see everyone want to come back and fill the empty spots with new young guys.
          I realize that some will want to leave, and if they do, I hope Mills helps them find whatever they are looking for. But I like watching a team that has developed a chemistry and play as a team. I believe we were starting to see some chemistry develope toward the end of the year. Now just work on the weaknesses of each player returning.
          I despised KPs play this year and commented on it several times. But I like him to put on 15-20 lbs of muscle and learn to play more physical. I'd like XB to learn how to draw defenders while keeping his head up to find open guys, as well as how to draw a foul when he gets inside.
          I could go on and on with player improvements needed, but I won't. The jest of my opinion is that I like to see development, not resets year after year.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Pretty sure it is saying that the bulk of the roster from this year can return. Meaning everyone except Ridgnal & Germany as they are out of eligibility. I wouldnt read anything into that comment.
            No, your comments, thoughts and opinions, have much more meaning, I'm sure.

​​​
            Last edited by Atxshoxfan; March 18, 2024, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

No your comments have much more meaning, I'm sure.
              I thought he was referring to the comment by Taylor Eldridge that was highlighted a couple posts above. Where Taylor said that a "bulk of the roster could return"
              So my comment was mentioning what I felt that comment meant specifically. Not any comment made by you.

And I stand by what I felt the comment was alluding to. Maybe I am wrong....or maybe not....doesn't really matter all that much
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I thought he was referring to the comment by Taylor Eldridge that was highlighted a couple posts above. Where Taylor said that a "bulk of the roster could return"
                So my comment was mentioning what I felt that comment meant specifically. Not any comment made by you.

And I stand by what I felt the comment was alluding to. Maybe I am wrong....or maybe not....doesn't really matter all that much
                Sorry about the misunderstanding then! I had said something similar.

Comment

Sorry about the misunderstanding then! I had said something similar.
                  No problem at all. I don't disagree with your post. I hope we don't have a mass exodus either.

I have softened some on my earlier feelings about hoping there would be a big roster turnover. That was during some real frustrating moments. Lol

I still believe a few would probably benefit from a change of scenery. But I did see some players start to hopefully figure it out towards the end that struggled mightily for a while. Also, trying to consider that a couple players were playing out of position. They could still be valuable in other capacities....etc.

We are a couple of good portal picks from potentially being a very good team.

Chemistry is definitely important.
                  Last edited by shockerfan; March 18, 2024, 09:19 AM.
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• For those who want major resets in the roster, here is something to think about.
                    This isn't fantasy football or basketball. We are not Kentucky, Texas or any other school that can bring in 5* recruits and transfer guys that are already expected to be NBA talent.
                    WSU will have to show they can develop 3* guys into NBA talent, which can take a couple of years. Once you show you can do that, the occasional 4* guys will start coming.

Comment

• It's gonna be a long off-season. Over 6 months to wait and see how this all plays out on the hard wood. Ugh!

Comment

For those who want major resets in the roster, here is something to think about.
                        This isn't fantasy football or basketball. We are not Kentucky, Texas or any other school that can bring in 5* recruits and transfer guys that are already expected to be NBA talent.
                        WSU will have to show they can develop 3* guys into NBA talent, which can take a couple of years. Once you show you can do that, the occasional 4* guys will start coming.
                        I agree. And without a massive NIL it is hard enough to land 1 or 2 impact players. Let alone a whole roster full.

Another thing that has had me feel like it's better to hope most of the core stay and work their asses off during the offseason.
                        Last edited by shockerfan; March 18, 2024, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Well so much for recruiting over current players. I mean that is a constant theme on this board and if the bulk of players return then it can't happen. Those things are mutually exclusive. Better hope for significant player development. As a whole I still don't believe our existing roster talent level is where it needs to be.

All that said I think there will be 2-3 players that leave on their own merits. Hopefully that doesn't include Rogers, Ballard or Cortes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                            Well so much for recruiting over current players. I mean that is a constant theme on this board and if the bulk of players return then it can't happen. Those things are mutually exclusive. Better hope for significant player development. As a whole I still don't believe our existing roster talent level is where it needs to be.

All that said I think there will be 2-3 players that leave on their own merits. Hopefully that doesn't include Rogers, Ballard or Cortes.
                            Oh yeah. No way 100% return. Even before this transfer fiasco there were always a couple to move on.

And that is where the upgrade in talent can happen. But you don't need to try and replace 10 players to do it.

If I had to guess....3 or 4 will choose to move on. Leaving us with 5 scholarships. Do good on those 5 and get 100% buy in from everyone remaining and it could be a MUCH improved year next year.

For me it's not necessarily the whole roster needs to return. Like I mentioned, a few could probably benefit from different scenery.

But I would like to see most of what became our core to return. And then go after upgrades with what you have available.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                              Would Rogers have to sit a year as a second time transfer? Seems like the rule has changed more than Kim Kardashians husbands so I can’t keep it straight.
                              It would be his 3rd transfer (4th school), but he would be a grad transfer this time, so there are no regulations regardless.

Comment

Oh yeah. No way 100% return. Even before this transfer fiasco there were always a couple to move on.

And that is where the upgrade in talent can happen. But you don't need to try and replace 10 players to do it.

If I had to guess....3 or 4 will choose to move on. Leaving us with 5 scholarships. Do good on those 5 and get 100% buy in from everyone remaining and it could be a MUCH improved year next year.

For me it's not necessarily the whole roster needs to return. Like I mentioned, a few could probably benefit from different scenery.

But I would like to see most of what became our core to return. And then go after upgrades with what you have available.
                                Problem is if we have 5 scholarships to fill them it's likely that some of the departing players include our best ones. I don't think it will be as clean as we think. My gut says some turnover will be unwanted.

Comment

Working...
                                X