Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post
    Yanis redshirted. There was zero opportunity for playing time. Joy is raw. Freakishly athletic. He needs to work on handles and his outside shooting. I think both stay and and may compete for playing time next year c
    We haave enough non-shooting guards. Ighovodja was 37.5/22.2/83
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Every team in the Big 12 will contact Ballard. Many teams will contact Rogers. Who said Cortes is unhappy?

Comment

• Getting a guy to shoot good from the 3 point line is not hard. The hard part is teaching them and the team to get a guy open enough for an open, comfortable 3 pointer.
        This is the time of year to start working on the mechanics of shooters, not at the start of or during the season. So I'm guessing,we will see progress in 3s next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
          Getting a guy to shoot good from the 3 point line is not hard. The hard part is teaching them and the team to get a guy open enough for an open, comfortable 3 pointer.
          This is the time of year to start working on the mechanics of shooters, not at the start of or during the season. So I'm guessing,we will see progress in 3s next year.
          But can a 23 year old completely re-learn how to launch a 3-pointer correctly this late in his career? The unorthodox shoulder release method ain't cutting it? What about "Lefty"? Can he "not" try to hit the arena's roof on his attempts this late in his career. Lol.

Can an off-season really teach some old dogs new tricks heading into their senior years? I mean it'd be cool if that could happen because I do like both players but man we need some makers for team success.
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

But can a 23 year old completely re-learn how to launch a 3-pointer correctly this late in his career? The unorthodox shoulder release method ain't cutting it? What about "Lefty"? Can he "not" try to hit the arena's roof on his attempts this late in his career. Lol.

Can an off-season really teach some old dogs new tricks heading into their senior years? I mean it'd be cool if that could happen because I do like both players but man we need some makers for team success.
            Frequent repetition with a shooting coach coaching their form on every shot. Yes they can .

Comment

• Or they can go all Dexter Dennis and just learn to shoot with the other hand.

Comment

Getting a guy to shoot good from the 3 point line is not hard. The hard part is teaching them and the team to get a guy open enough for an open, comfortable 3 pointer.
                So it's easy to find 41% 3pt shooters?
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Frequent repetition with a shooting coach coaching their form on every shot. Yes they can .
                  Lets bring in a shooting coach then! Let's go!!!
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

So it's easy to find 41% 3pt shooters?
                    You should apply for a reporters job at MSDNC.
                    never said "find", never said "41%".
                    I said a player can be coached ( taught) to be a good 3 point shooter. It is up to the team to create an open shot that affords him time to go through his proper mechanics, in order for him to do that in games
                    Last edited by Atxshoxfan; March 17, 2024, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      It's just my opinion, but if there isn't room for student athletes the likes of Xavier Bell and Harlond Beverly on a 13 man Wichita State roster, then there isn't room for me as a fan.

I'm not saying they should be 40 minute guys or that they're going to be the next Fred VanVleet and Tekele Cotton. But if they want to commit to this program, by God we should be committing to supporting them. Excellent examples of student athletes and representatives of our University.
                      +100

Comment

• Hope Cortes returns. If that's not the case then we have to find 2 ready to go PGs. We cannot repeat the same A/TO attrocities and hope to improve.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          It's just my opinion, but if there isn't room for student athletes the likes of Xavier Bell and Harlond Beverly on a 13 man Wichita State roster, then there isn't room for me as a fan.

I'm not saying they should be 40 minute guys or that they're going to be the next Fred VanVleet and Tekele Cotton. But if they want to commit to this program, by God we should be committing to supporting them. Excellent examples of student athletes and representatives of our University.
                          Double like for this post, worthy of creating a burner account just so it can be liked again.

Comment

• The entire top 6 or 7 give us continuity going into next year. It's a decent solid base and allows PM to be picky about who he adds. Yes, another solid PG would be nice but we can be more selective now. I'd love a bigger badder PF, another shooter, and a promising young C/PF also. IMHO, PF may be our biggest need if we can find a significant upgrade. In order of need PF, PG, shooter, and young center with lots of potential. First step is to know who we will or could lose.

Comment

• There are two players that I would want back, Rigers and Ballard. I think they will both leave.

I am conditionally OK with what Doc said about committing to players.

My condition is that committing goes both ways. If we commit to them, after finishing 5-13, the players need to commit to getting a LOT BETTER.

You mentioned Bell. He needs to learn what the dish means in drive-draw- and dish. He drives but has no idea how to pass the ball to an open teammate once he drives.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
                                There are two players that I would want back, Rigers and Ballard. I think they will both leave.

I am conditionally OK with what Doc said about committing to players.

My condition is that committing goes both ways. If we commit to them, after finishing 5-13, the players need to commit to getting a LOT BETTER.

You mentioned Bell. He needs to learn what the dish means in drive-draw- and dish. He drives but has no idea how to pass the ball to an open teammate once he drives.

im not convinced that they’ll both leave if I’m honest. They’re both first string here, know the system, and there’s only one year left. Sometimes money now isn’t better than money later, if they focus on improving here and proving themselves professional next year.

going someplace new means unknowns, with new system to learn, potentially not first string, etc. Just depends on what they want most, because I get the impression they’re both close with our current staff (especially Ballard with Acy)

Comment

Working...
                                X