No announcement yet.

Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's just my opinion, but if there isn't room for student athletes the likes of Xavier Bell and Harlond Beverly on a 13 man Wichita State roster, then there isn't room for me as a fan.

I'm not saying they should be 40 minute guys or that they're going to be the next Fred VanVleet and Tekele Cotton. But if they want to commit to this program, by God we should be committing to supporting them. Excellent examples of student athletes and representatives of our University.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      It's just my opinion, but if there isn't room for student athletes the likes of Xavier Bell and Harlond Beverly on a 13 man Wichita State roster, then there isn't room for me as a fan.

I'm not saying they should be 40 minute guys or that they're going to be the next Fred VanVleet and Tekele Cotton. But if they want to commit to this program, by God we should be committing to supporting them. Excellent examples of student athletes and representatives of our University.
      In addition to being excellent ambassadors for the program, I thought XB and HB improved significantly over the course of the season.

In terms of role, I think XB could be an effective role player in around 15 minutes per game. He has already shown he can bring a different look on offense, and I think using his bully-ball abilities in spurts would be beneficial to the team.

HB, on the other hand, should compete for starter minutes based on how he has played down the stretch. The turnovers were greatly reduced, he started shooting a little better from deep, and he almost seemed more athletic (perhaps a confidence thing given his past injuries). However, if HB is playing 25-30 minutes a night I do pray that HCPM ensures there are at least 2-3 other guys on the floor with him at all times who can shoot from deep. Stretching the floor with shooters will mitigate HB's own shooting limitations and hopefully open up wider lanes for him to drive to the basket.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
        Don't we have 1 ship available now even b4 things really start cooking in the next few weeks?
        Checked our Ship Grid and it appears we have 1 ship available already. We are cooking already in olive oil and walking in tall cotton. Let's find us an experienced pg from the portal or Juco that is "Craig Porterish" good. We will continue big other moves from there as the roster thins out in the next 2 weeks. Thousands of players to pick from in this rootin tootin wild wild portal smorgasbord.
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I really like the PG from Garden City CC. He is smallish but seems to never tire, he’s vertically very fast and his basketball IQ is nuts (look at his assist/turnover ratio). Don’t get me wrong-a portal PG may be the answer but this kid will excel on his next stop.
          Last edited by shoxlax; March 16, 2024, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I know many of you would like an almost complete roster change. I really hope that doesn't happen. I believe the chemistry was starting to develop and the guys started understanding PMs system better. I'll take the bulk of the team add in some extra talent and enjoy a more cohesive team over watching a bunch of new talented players work through learning the system and creating chemistry. I don't think I could handle another year of 90% iso ball, which it would be, while learning and building the system again.

I think our favorite punching bag ( $.01) would agree with this for his team as well, after his several years of under performing.

Comment

Abidde, Joy, Bamba, and one unexpected leave. If Mills can find a So or Jr (next year) serviceable big man, then cut Pohto loose. Could be some recruiting "under" instead of recruiting "over" for class balance.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

From a pure basketball perspective, money aside, I think a legit argument can be made for all of our top seven to stay. KP remained loyal and has put in three years. If he wants to leave, fine, but if he is "cut loose" I'll be very disappointed in PM. Imagine if QB chases the $$$ and KP is sent packing? I think our biggest need may now be PF and KP helps to shore up there also. If RD was two inches taller he would be great but he isn't. I think he is the most expendable of our top seven. Unless CR gets a healthy NIL offer he would be wise to remain. Better conferences have better defenders and he fell victim to that yesterday and he does not have a complete set of basketball virtues to fall back on. You better stay here CR. BC and XB both stay and I hope HB does. I think PM can afford to be a little pickier now. Land a couple of solid new guys to go along with what we have and we will be much better next season. Need another shooter, a solid PG and a bigger bull at PF.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  Abidde, Joy, Bamba, and one unexpected leave. If Mills can find a So or Jr (next year) serviceable big man, then cut Pohto loose. Could be some recruiting "under" instead of recruiting "over" for class balance.
                  Is class balance a thing anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Is class balance a thing anymore?
                    Yes and no. Younger classes not so much but you need to watch your senior count. I think it needs to be noted for those saying we should bring everyone back is that we would have at least SEVEN people at the end of their eligibility next year if we do. I know some are getting swayed by recency bias but it's good to remember context. Yes we looked better... Yes the Memphis win was fun but ultimately the results weren't acceptable even at the end of the year. So bringing everyone back (if we had that choice) makes no sense.

Our last 10 games went like this
                    L NET 187
                    L 114
                    W 197
                    L 198
                    W 107
                    W 241
                    L 137
                    W 241
                    W 76
                    L 107

Not exactly impressive. So if we bring back the roster that finished 12th and then have to replace at least 7 players next year... We are in major trouble for a while

Comment

• If a freshman wasn't good enough to get any playing time at all this year, then he should probably transfer. Its not like he's going to suddenly get way better over the summer

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                        If a freshman wasn't good enough to get any playing time at all this year, then he should probably transfer. Its not like he's going to suddenly get way better over the summer
                        You must not watch much there is almost always a huge leap going into sophomore year.

Comment

• Yanis redshirted. There was zero opportunity for playing time. Joy is raw. Freakishly athletic. He needs to work on handles and his outside shooting. I think both stay and and may compete for playing time next year c

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                              Just feels like we’ve got way too many seniors. But I’m not sure what happens there. Ballard and Rogers has to stay. Maybe Pohto and Cortes go? If it’s true that Cortes family’s is unhappy.

We need to make changes in the guards, but I’m feeling conflicted. Need a massive improvement at PG for sure. Beverly really seems to be doing well as of late, but he’s a black hole on the perimeter. HAS to have a shot there. For all intents and purposes, he and Bell play the same role.

Yeah just feeling conflicted because they’d be wonderful second rotation guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

Just feels like we’ve got way too many seniors. But I’m not sure what happens there. Ballard and Rogers has to stay. Maybe Pohto and Cortes go? If it’s true that Cortes family’s is unhappy.

We need to make changes in the guards, but I’m feeling conflicted. Need a massive improvement at PG for sure. Beverly really seems to be doing well as of late, but he’s a black hole on the perimeter. HAS to have a shot there. For all intents and purposes, he and Bell play the same role.

Yeah just feeling conflicted because they’d be wonderful second rotation guys.
                                Based on their postgame comments at the press conference yesterday it sounds like XB and HB intend to be back next season. However, in the portal era I won't assume anything until the ball tips in November

Comment

Working...
                                X