Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wichita Willy View Post
    In my count we only have one scholarship as TJ and Zion have claim to Germany and DR's. That means 3 new players. Everything else is an if. If I had my IF'S there would be at least 8 new players. But as I said my fear is that everyone will stay and we will only have one as of yet unidentified player.
    I'd rather see the bulk of the roster return and improve. But I realize there are 2 major holes to fill. We need another big who is strong and can finish, besides Ballard. We need another pg who is less concerned with scoring his points and more concerned with distribution and play sets.

Comment

I could see Rogers having some teams coming after him. At the same time, he can really only be a shooter, and it's not too hard to find a guy that can shoot in the current era of basketball.

Ballard is only a lob threat and can block. I don't think he provides the skills that most high-major teams are looking for. Most of these teams are looking for versatile bigs, and Ballard isn't that.

The two freshman have very little game film. I can't see them opting to leave, unless they want to play at a lower level. From what I understand, they both were either committed to ORU, or were being heavily recruited by Mills at ORU, so the relationship there seems strong.

I really don't think we're going to have a lot of guys clamoring to leave. To the coaches credit, they never lost the locker room this year. Listen to post-game pressers, and the players are often using the same language that the coaching staff is using. It seems like the guys believe in the staff and believe in the team.

Pohto should look elsewhere. I think he needs a new start. I appreciate him sticking around through some tumultuous years, but I don't think he's getting better in Wichita.

Abidde should probably take a look at the portal. Athletic kid that can get some minutes at a lower level.

I think Cortes and his circle, according to some X posts, were not happy with how he was being used earlier in the season. Maybe that's changed. He turned it around at the end of the season. Sometimes I forget that he wasn't eligible the entire season and it likely took him a while to get adjusted. I really like DeGray and Beverly. Bell has his games.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
        it's not too hard to find a guy that can shoot in the current era of basketball.
        *unless you're trying to get them to Wichita

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
          I

Ballard is only a lob threat and can block. I don't think he provides the skills that most high-major teams are looking for. Most of these teams are looking for versatile bigs, and Ballard isn't that.

The two freshman have very little game film. I can't see them opting to leave, unless they want to play at a lower level.

I think Cortes and his circle, according to some X posts, were not happy with how he was being used earlier in the season. Maybe that's changed. He turned it around at the end of the season. Sometimes I forget that he wasn't eligible the entire season and it likely took him a while to get adjusted. I really like DeGray and Beverly. Bell has his games.
          I'd say that Ballard would be a catch for any team. He's worth about 20 pants a game when you factor altered shots and blocks. I think Penny will be calling him this weekend.

The freshman and others riding the pine, will be considering their positions in practice and their relationships with the team and coaches. So it's anybodies guess if they stay or go.

Cortez didn't play early in the season, and that was his fault. Then he played miserably for many games, not warranting much PT. That was his fault as well, and he knew it. But the light came on at the end of the season and he now has a glimpse of his future at WSU. He also knows HCPM developed Abmas, which is probably a factor that he will consider.

Every kid has different and many reasons for staying or leaving, so only time will tell.

Comment

I agree QB is one of TWO players that I feel we need to return. I would like to see all of them return and get better as Atxshoxkfan has already stated On the other hand if you can have a MAJOR upgrade in talent at any position who am I to say don't take it. Go Shocks

Comment

Yesterday we saw how easy it is to take Rogers out of the game. He has zero handles, we rarely had him bring the ball up. Can't drive, can't get his own shot, not a good defender. I hope he stays, we can find ways to use him, but I don't see him being that highly sought after.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                Yesterday we saw how easy it is to take Rogers out of the game. He has zero handles, we rarely had him bring the ball up. Can't drive, can't get his own shot, not a good defender. I hope he stays, we can find ways to use him, but I don't see him being that highly sought after.
                Sorry but it’s crazy to think nobody would want to go after someone who managed such a high clip of 3s over the last handful of games. He was tired today plain and simple. He’s also been money in getting his own shot several times and blown me away.

The issue still remains that we don’t have any shooting gravity elsewhere. So he’s all the focus. It’s not that hard to take someone out of the game when you don’t have to worry about anybody else. His defending has been relatively surviceable lately as well.

Not trying to offend you. There are LOTS of teams coming for him purely just for being automatic from 3. On a decent team, you could stick him in a corner and warp plenty of defenses enough to make hay elsewhere, and that’s valuable in its own right.

Comment

Rogers will definitely be in high demand. I hope he comes back, but he will be tough to keep.

Ballard is a good fit at WSU. I don't think he is a high major type of big. As someone else pointed out, he isn't the versatile type of big that high majors love. I hope he stays and I think there is a good chance he does.

I would like to see Beverly back. Really like his game and think he is a good fit in PM system.

Bell can fill a role on this team.

BC is a good backup PG but the Shox absolutely need a go to PG. Not sure if there are any Juco PG worth a fart still available, but that or an upperclassmen transfer would be ideal.

Pohto is likely to move on and probably should at this point.

Abidde will probably seek playing time elsewhere.

All in all, this season was about what I expected and am looking forward to seeing what HCPM can do this offseason.

Comment

Just guessing, if Cortez leaves I think Ballard will probably look at transferring. Ballard has seen numerous times if Bell is the point guard, he won’t get any opportunities to touch the ball,
                    unless he rebounds Bell’s miss. I am not sure Bell threw the lob or pass to Ballard all year. I can’t imagine that would change much next year, if Bell is still our primary point guard.

Comment

Originally posted by shox7 View Post
                      Just guessing, if Cortez leaves I think Ballard will probably look at transferring. Ballard has seen numerous times if Bell is the point guard, he won’t get any opportunities to touch the ball,
                      unless he rebounds Bell’s miss. I am not sure Bell threw the lob or pass to Ballard all year. I can’t imagine that would change much next year, if Bell is still our primary point guard.
                      There is zero chance Bell will be the primary pg next year. I think HCPM sees what we see even if he doesn't say it. I hope we can keep Ballard. Another year of working with Acy and he could be all conference. He will be courted by many teams in my opinion.
                      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Ballard was developing some moves and some offense other than lobs and dunks late in the season. Had a little hook shot that went in against UAB. He has started shooting from a few feet out. Give hm a summer to work with Acy and I think he can be approaching "really good".
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

It would be nice to see WSU have a zone defense in their bag next season. Would have helped with foul trouble yesterday and makes it harder for mediocre 3pt shooting teams (like UAB).

Comment

Waiting to see how HCPM recruits with plenty of time for the changes needed. Wishing him the best in this pivotal Season where progress is needed and expected.
                            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Don't we have 1 ship available now even b4 things really start cooking in the next few weeks?
                              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                                I agree QB is one of TWO players that I feel we need to return. I would like to see all of them return and get better as Atxshoxkfan has already stated On the other hand if you can have a MAJOR upgrade in talent at any position who am I to say don't take it. Go Shocks
                                Literally having everyone return is not the answer. Conversely, losing Rogers and Ballard isn't either. Hypothetically, I'd rather everyone return than lose Rogers and Ballard. The most likely scenario is somewhere in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                                X