Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    I would add Bell to the list to return. I know he has a few boneheaded plays every game, but he is the only guard who can create for himself. .
    A guard who creates for himself but not his teammates, should not be a guard, and I'm not sure there would be another position he could play well. Shooting guard maybe, but he can't shoot the 3 that well, and he has no court vision on the drive. So I see little value unless he can improve greatly in those 2 areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

That's what I notated at the bottom. I'm not 100% sure if the current injunction will apply to next year or not. The ruling isn't official, but also might not be decided before the time needed. So figured I would just call them out in case it does get reversed and players have to sit.
      The NCAA is notoriously slow to do anything. I'd be shocked if they tried to fight to the courts ruling. If they had any cajones at all, they'd blow up the entire system and take back control of college athletics. As it is, they have no authority to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
        So, IMO you keep XB, CR, QB, HB, RD, freshman.
        I don't think the players you listed would be bad to keep, but I do wonder if HB, XB, and RD would be willing to ride the bench a lot more next season. If the answer is no, then they have to hit the portal. Only starters I would want to see start next season are CR and QB.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I don't think the players you listed would be bad to keep, but I do wonder if HB, XB, and RD would be willing to ride the bench a lot more next season. If the answer is no, then they have to hit the portal. Only starters I would want to see start next season are CR and QB.
          PM needs to have heart to heart with each and every guy and see what they want/expect next season. If they are good competing and being part of a team in rebuild, regardless of their playing time, then bring them back. If they're gonna pout about it, pack their bags.

Comment

Another very good summation Sub

Comment

Hate doing this before the season ends but I think for sure based on staff wishes

Bell, Beverly, Ballard, Rogers, DeGray

Doubtful: Ighovidja, Bamba, Pohto, Abidde

Depends on recruiting: Cortes (still need some depth and 5 min per game from a backup so he may stay).

This year’s team, while poor, is Max Abmas and a better strength and conditioning program, from winning 18 plus games. You can’t blow up the entire roster and everyone who will be kept outside of Rogers and Ballard (who should start and play a lot) can be suitable backups. The doubtfuls listed are either a bad fit or not good enough (otherwise they would be playing more).

In all honesty, my opinion is not really too valuable because I have been less interested in college basketball as a whole the last two years and is primarily based on a few observations and a lot of insight from people who follow and know the team.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                Hate doing this before the season ends but I think for sure based on staff wishes

Bell, Beverly, Ballard, Rogers, DeGray

Doubtful: Ighovidja, Bamba, Pohto, Abidde

Depends on recruiting: Cortes (still need some depth and 5 min per game from a backup so he may stay).

This year’s team, while poor, is Max Abmas and a better strength and conditioning program, from winning 18 plus games. You can’t blow up the entire roster and everyone who will be kept outside of Rogers and Ballard (who should start and play a lot) can be suitable backups. The doubtfuls listed are either a bad fit or not good enough (otherwise they would be playing more).

In all honesty, my opinion is not really too valuable because I have been less interested in college basketball as a whole the last two years and is primarily based on a few observations and a lot of insight from people who follow and know the team.
                While I agree with a lot of what you said, my only concern with keeping current starters who NEED to be backups for us to be good is how it will change recruiting. Can you recruit a good portal player who looks and sees a senior guard who plays 30 MPG returning?

That's why I lean towards hinting to anyone that isn't someone you want returning as a starter that they should go. If they return and are the starter? the year is lost already. I'd rather roll my dice in the portal.

I can see both sides of the argument though.

Comment

Williams, Pipkin, Rogers, Bell, Bamba, Joy, and we still don't have an experienced, starting PG. To me, Williams and Pipkin over Bamba and Joy. We won't have room for 3 of those, much less 4. Would you want to rely on one of those four as your backup 3? If so, which one?

Comment

we need a grad transfer PG as a 1 year stop gap to play and train Williams to be the PG of the future. Cut Cortes loose and move Bell to the backup 2, maybe even 3rd string. Joy can be the 3 man, probably backup.

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                      Not sure why you're even bothering to draw a distinction between players who have/have not already used a transfer. EVERYONE gets free, unlimited tranfers now, right?
                      I'm so confused about the rules heading into the off-season

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        we need a grad transfer PG as a 1 year stop gap to play and train Williams to be the PG of the future. Cut Cortes loose and move Bell to the backup 2, maybe even 3rd string. Joy can be the 3 man, probably backup.
                        I would say Pipkin is more likely to be a PG than Williams between the two. Everything I read about TJ has him as more of a 2/3 type whereas Pipkin is more of a 1/2 type.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Everyone's only taking into consideration one side of the equation. I would be shocked if several players don't choose to leave on their own accord, and most likely immediately after the last whistle blows. Ballard and possibly Rogers will have suitors and can probably make some money elsewhere. KP just needs a change of scenery. I'd guess 5-6 transfers will announce pretty quickly. Some we want gone and others not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                            Everyone's only taking into consideration one side of the equation. I would be shocked if several players don't choose to leave on their own accord, and most likely immediately after the last whistle blows. Ballard and possibly Rogers will have suitors and can probably make some money elsewhere. KP just needs a change of scenery. I'd guess 5-6 transfers will announce pretty quickly. Some we want gone and others not so much.
                            I could care less about anyone but Ballard and maybe Roger’s. If I were mills, I’d hard focus on them.

Comment

This should about cover the current state of Shockers basketball...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

We need to keep Ballard and Rogers. They will be sought after by many teams. I also would keep DeGray, Beverly, Joy, maybe Bamba if the coaches think so. The 2 recruits hopefully stay committed. I would also make an effort to keep Bell. He is a local kid and has been forced into playing pg when he really does not possess the skills for that position. He is our best shooting guard at 44% for the year, our 2nd best shooting 3pt guard at 32% for the year. He plays better defense than most if not all of our guards. He turns the ball over too much but if we had a quality pg he wouldn't have it in his hands as much. If we can keep these guys and add a quality pg we should be successful next year.
                                I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Working...
                                X