ESPN's 50 in 50: Conference breakdowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN's 50 in 50: Conference breakdowns

We've revealed the 50 most successful programs of the past 50 years. But what about the others? Here is a conference by conference look at the 309 teams that qualified for our rankings.

All week long, we've unveiled what our scoring system has deemed the 50 most successful programs of the past 50 years.

But what about the few hundred other schools that have played Division I basketball over the past half-century? Who just missed the 50 in 50 cut? Where does your favorite team rank among its conference rivals? To find out, we crunched the numbers for everyone.

The teams are listed by the conference they will be playing in during the 2012-13 season. In order for a school to be ranked in the study, they must have 15 seasons as a full Division I member. Under that guideline, 309 programs qualified.

Without further ado, here are the league breakdowns:

Missouri Valley
    69. Creighton
    80. Wichita State
    84. Southern Illinois
    90. Missouri State
    T-91. Illinois State
    123. Bradley
    T-135. Evansville
    T-162. Drake
    177. Northern Iowa
    204. Indiana State

If you average out the conferences we are 8th

Conference Rank
    1 Big East Average 53
    2 ACC Average 68
    3 Big Ten Average 86
    4 SEC Average 89
    5 Big 12 Average 92
    6 Pac 10 Average 104
    7 A10 Average 114
    8 Missouri Valley Average 122
    9 Mountain West Average 125
    10 West Coast Average 137
    11 Conference USA Average 149
    12 Sun Belt Average 154
    13 Colonial Average 170
    14 Horizon Average 171
    15 MACMid Average 172
    16 Big West Average 173
    17 MAAC Average 182
    18 Southern Average 182
    19 WAC Average 185
    20 Sun Average 191
    Big Sky Average 193
    Southland Average 194
    Patriot Average 195
    SWAC Average 199
    Ohio Valley Avera 203
    Big South Average 214
    MEAC Average 217
    Northeast Average 220
    Ivy Average 221
    America East Average 241
    Summit Average 252
    Last edited by KraRam; October 4, 2012, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Or 8th.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
        Or 8th.
        Thanks fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by KraRam View Post
          http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...50-50-rankings

All week long, we've unveiled what our scoring system has deemed the 50 most successful programs of the past 50 years.

But what about the few hundred other schools that have played Division I basketball over the past half-century? Who just missed the 50 in 50 cut? Where does your favorite team rank among its conference rivals? To find out, we crunched the numbers for everyone.

The teams are listed by the conference they will be playing in during the 2012-13 season. In order for a school to be ranked in the study, they must have 15 seasons as a full Division I member. Under that guideline, 309 programs qualified.

Without further ado, here are the league breakdowns:

Missouri Valley
          69. Creighton
          80. Wichita State
          84. Southern Illinois
          90. Missouri State
          T-91. Illinois State
          123. Bradley
          T-135. Evansville
          T-162. Drake
          177. Northern Iowa
          204. Indiana State
          Indiana State with a 1979 national NCAA runner-up last on the MVC? Doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

My guess is one year does not make up for the other 49.

Comment

C'mon. Weber State of the Big Sky is #39? Have they ever been Top 20? This loses all credibility with that one, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                C'mon. Weber State of the Big Sky is #39? Have they ever been Top 20? This loses all credibility with that one, doesn't it?
                39. Weber State (207 points)

Positives: Big Sky domination, as its 20 regular-season titles rank eighth most in the country over the past half-century. Fourteen conference tournament titles is tied for 11th most.

Negatives: For a program with 14 NCAA tournament appearances, it has only five wins in non-consolation games and two regional semifinal appearances. Also lost 11 points due to sanctions in 1996 and 2006

Points for Conference and Conference Tournament titles. It pays to win your Conference tournament.

Not saying this is accurate, but a point of view.

What it does show to some extent is that the MVC is a good basketball conference over time. So some of the "discussions" about getting out and moving to a better conference would limit us to only one real option at this point which is the A10. I think the MVC for basketball is better than some of us give it credit for.

Comment

My guess is one year does not make up for the other 49.
                  First of all they have gone to the tourney more than just that one year. But that one year was quite a year. Larry Bird and a team that lost only one game all year- the national championship game to Magic Johnson and Michigan St.

They deserve a lot better than 204 out of 309.

But I don't really understand how Cu gets ahead of us. Have they EVER been to any sweet sixteen? I can't recall one. I have a feeling that recent ncaa success (or at least ncaa appearances) are what seems to count the most in this ranking.

Comment

39. Weber State (207 points)

Positives: Big Sky domination, as its 20 regular-season titles rank eighth most in the country over the past half-century. Fourteen conference tournament titles is tied for 11th most.

Negatives: For a program with 14 NCAA tournament appearances, it has only five wins in non-consolation games and two regional semifinal appearances. Also lost 11 points due to sanctions in 1996 and 2006

Points for Conference and Conference Tournament titles. It pays to win your Conference tournament.

Not saying this is accurate, but a point of view.

What it does show to some extent is that the MVC is a good basketball conference over time. So some of the "discussions" about getting out and moving to a better conference would limit us to only one real option at this point which is the A10. I think the MVC for basketball is better than some of us give it credit for.
                    Ok this is ranking of basketball programs isn't without some accuracy (it is a snapshot albeit a bad one), but they should be able to dominate the Big Sky conference. They've never been a top conference and they shouldn't have a program in the top 40 either.

Comment

SCORING SYSTEM
                      Conference title - 5 points
                      For best win percentage in regular season regardless of division. Independents that finished ahead of two major conference champions in final AP poll received credit.
                      Conference tournament title - 3 points
                      Independents that finished ahead of two major-conference champions in final AP poll received credit.
                      Win percentage
                      80 percent and above = 4 points, 60-79 percent = 2 points, 35.1-49.9 percent = minus-2 points, less than 35 percent = minus-4 points.
                      No. 1 seed - 2 points
                      Started in 1979.
                      NCAA tournament berth - 1 point
                      NCAA 1st-rd. win as 12-16-seed - 1 point
                      Started in 1979 for 12-seeds only, 1985 for seeds 12-16.
                      Losing in second round - 3 points
                      Started in 1985, every team had to win a game to advance to Round of 32.
                      Sweet 16 loss - 5 pts
                      Started in 1975, every team had to win at least once to advance to Sweet 16.
                      Elite Eight loss - 10 pts
                      National semifinal loss - 15 points
                      Title game loss - 20 points
                      National title - 25 points
                      NIT title - 1 point
                      First-team All-American - 3 points
                      Second-team All-American - 2 points
                      Player taken in NBA's top 10 - 2 points
                      Started in 1966, common draft.
                      Vacated season - minus-2 points
                      Any season where wins were vacated.
                      Sanctions
                      TV ban = minus-1 point, postseason ban = minus-2 points, probation = minus-1 point, loss of financial aid = minus-1 point, recruiting violation = minus-1 point, show-cause action = minus-2 points.

Comment

moved
                        Last edited by WuShock Reaper; October 4, 2012, 09:36 PM.

Comment

moved
                          Last edited by ShockTalk; October 4, 2012, 10:02 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                            First of all they have gone to the tourney more than just that one year. But that one year was quite a year. Larry Bird and a team that lost only one game all year- the national championship game to Magic Johnson and Michigan St.

They deserve a lot better than 204 out of 309.

But I don't really understand how Cu gets ahead of us. Have they EVER been to any sweet sixteen? I can't recall one. I have a feeling that recent ncaa success (or at least ncaa appearances) are what seems to count the most in this ranking.
                            Without getting into the finer points of the point system: Regular Season Champs (last 50 years) - WSU 6, CU 6; MVC Tournament Champs - WSU 2, CU 11; and NCAA appearances - WSU 9, CU 15. Those last two items right there put WSU in a 33 point hole to CU (plus we have some negative numbers).

Comment

CU and WSU both are way better than Weber State. The Big Sky is #25 this year but they've never been good nationally in their existence. MVC would have to be in the Top eight conferences and probably higher for the past 50 years. This is not factored into this system.

Comment

Working...
                              X