2024 Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Bracketology

Perhaps I'm looking at it incorrectly, and I fully admit I haven't checked any of the regular sites that give their breakdowns, but as we all talk about NIL and the consolidation of power, it seems like this season at least, the P5s are about as weak as they've been in at least a decade.

The PAC12 has 1 lock, Arizona. At least half the B1G is not at large alive. Same with the ACC. I am just wondering if there might be some more parity this season with the at large selections as opposed to most of the last 10+ seasons, and if NIL might not be the destructive force many (me) think it is?

Time will tell.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Perhaps I'm looking at it incorrectly, and I fully admit I haven't checked any of the regular sites that give their breakdowns, but as we all talk about NIL and the consolidation of power, it seems like this season at least, the P5s are about as weak as they've been in at least a decade.

The PAC12 has 1 lock, Arizona. At least half the B1G is not at large alive. Same with the ACC. I am just wondering if there might be some more parity this season with the at large selections as opposed to most of the last 10+ seasons, and if NIL might not be the destructive force many (me) think it is?

Time will tell.
    Couldn't it be the fact that there are just so many good to very good Division 1 players, as it was before NIL, and big NIL schools can only buy so much talent and that they will still miss.

Comment

Yes. There are a lot of school with talented players and amazing records. But as far as bracketology is concerned, that's only half "the game." The other half is based on name recognition with a strong emphasis on conference affiliation.

Wanted to add, you have to remember the Tournament belongs to CBS sports. I have to believe somehow, someway, somewhere they have a say as to who makes the tournament.

Look at some of the top teams and their records. I'm not going to waste time looking who they played, because it's irrelevant.

Grand Canyon 22-2-0
      Indiana St 22-3
      James Mad 22-3
      Samford 22-3
      McNeese St 21-3
      Princeton 17-3
      Dayton 19-4
      Utah St 19-4
      Cornell 17-4
      High Point 21-5
      App State 20-5
      Drake 20-5
      Morehead St 20-5
      St. Marys 20-6

If anyone thinks those guys are getting AT LARGE bids based on their records and their failure to get their conference auto bid over the likes of...
      say...

Wake Forest
      Clemson
      Texas
      Oklahoma
      K-State
      TCU
      BYU
      Seton Hall
      Northwestern
      Washington State
      Oregon
      Texas A&M
      Ole Miss
      Miss St
      Florida

WHo will all most certainly finish middle of the pack in their conferences, well, I just don't see it happening. Maybe because it's never happened.
      I would LOVE to see a Tournament with many of those low profile team names. That's where much of the excitement of the Tourney is centered around.
      Last edited by JVShocker; February 10, 2024, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
        Look at some of the top teams and their records.

Dayton 19-4
        St. Marys 20-6

If anyone thinks those guys are getting AT LARGE bids based on their records and their failure to get their conference auto bid over the likes of...
        say...
        Those two better or there needs to be an investigation.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

The talking heads all think the Big 12 is basically the best conference top to bottom, so expect at least 9 bids from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            The talking heads all think the Big 12 is basically the best conference top to bottom, so expect at least 9 bids from there.
            9 bids with 1 reaching the Sweet 16.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              10 bids from what I see.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

say...

Wake Forest
                Clemson
                Texas
                Oklahoma
                K-State
                TCU
                BYU
                Seton Hall
                Northwestern
                Washington State
                Oregon
                Texas A&M
                Ole Miss
                Miss St
                Florida

WHo will all most certainly finish middle of the pack in their conferences, well, I just don't see it happening. Maybe because it's never happened.
                I would LOVE to see a Tournament with many of those low profile team names. That's where much of the excitement of the Tourney is centered around.
                If it was me (and I'm not a power conference fan by any means), Wake Forest is currently 4th in the ACC and I believe, at this time anyway, more deserving than any of those below them. Without looking at other Big 12 schools' schedules, TCU and BYU are good with me. Seton Hall, in 3rd, is currently ahead of Creighton in the Big East. I'd give Northwestern a reasonable chance of making it as they are right there with the Badgers. Washington St being 2nd in the Pac-12 and no one else that close at this time is probable for me. Florida and Ole Miss - it's maybe theirs to lose.

Comment

Yes. There are a lot of school with talented players and amazing records. But as far as bracketology is concerned, that's only half "the game." The other half is based on name recognition with a strong emphasis on conference affiliation.

Wanted to add, you have to remember the Tournament belongs to CBS sports. I have to believe somehow, someway, somewhere they have a say as to who makes the tournament.

Look at some of the top teams and their records. I'm not going to waste time looking who they played, because it's irrelevant.

Grand Canyon 22-2-0
                  Indiana St 22-3
                  James Mad 22-3
                  Samford 22-3
                  McNeese St 21-3
                  Princeton 17-3
                  Dayton 19-4
                  Utah St 19-4
                  Cornell 17-4
                  High Point 21-5
                  App State 20-5
                  Drake 20-5
                  Morehead St 20-5
                  St. Marys 20-6

say...

Wake Forest
                  Clemson
                  Texas
                  Oklahoma
                  K-State
                  TCU
                  BYU
                  Seton Hall
                  Northwestern
                  Washington State
                  Oregon
                  Texas A&M
                  Ole Miss
                  Miss St
                  Florida

I've been wanting to look at this a bit. The lowest NET to get an at large is 77. I was surprised by that, but that team had a 6-6 Q1 record.

44 Grand Canyon 1-1 MAY GET IN
                  20 Indiana St 1-3 WILL GET IN
                  55 James Mad 1-0 POSSIBLE
                  63 Samford 0-2 NOPE
                  67 McNeese St 1-0 NOPE
                  54 Princeton 0-0 NOPE
                  18 Dayton 3-4 LOCKED IN
                  28 Utah St 2-3 THEY'RE IN
                  84 Cornell 0-1 NOPE
                  107 High Point 0-0 NO CHANCE IN HELL
                  82 App State 2-0 NOT GETTING IN
                  51 Drake 3-1 MIGHT HAVE A CHANCE
                  102 Morehead St 0-2 NO CHANCE IN HELL
                  15 St. Marys 4-2 LOCKED IN

35 Wake Forest 0-3 MOST LIKELY IN
                  29 Clemson 4-5 DEFINITELY IN
                  33 Texas 4-5 THEY'RE IN
                  30 Oklahoma 3-4 THEY'RE IN
                  77 K-State 2-5 NOT GETTING IN
                  41 TCU 3-6 THEY'RE IN
                  8 BYU 3-5 WHY WERE THEY EVEN IN THIS? DEFINITELY IN
                  76 Seton Hall 4-5 OUTSIDE LOOKING IN
                  56 Northwestern 4-5 THEY'RE IN
                  40 Washington State 4-3 THEY'RE IN
                  61 Oregon 2-4 OUTSIDE LOOKING IN
                  37 Texas A&M 5-4 THEY'RE IN
                  58 Ole Miss 2-4 MIGHT BE IN
                  36 Miss St 3-6 THEY'RE IN
                  31 Florida 2-7 PROBABLY IN BUT YUCK

A lot more goes into it than these simple numbers, but St. Mary's, Dayton, and Indiana State would 100% be in right now and with better seeds than a number of the ones in the lower section.

Still games to be played
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Hahahahahahahahah! I just checked and a team that I didn't even have on the radar is actually listed as LAST TEAM IN.

Cincinatti Bearcats.

Memphis is not even in the equation right now, which to me is freaking HI-LAIR-EEEEE-ous!!!! I might normally be upset that a team from our conference was excluded from the Tourney, but not so much this time.

With wins over Baylor and Kansas, I think you underestimate the power of the media darling Jerome Tang and their remaining schedule which includes games with BYU, TCU, and Iowa State in Manhattan. If they win those 3 home games against those opponents, and just 2 games in the conference Tourney they'll have a 20 win season in what the pundits declare is the best basketball conference on the planet. Pretty sure they'll find a way to include them at the expense of a LOT of teams that have been mentioned on the "no name" list, who are currently listed as the auto qualifier for their conference. In this basketball crazy world, the name of the team and their conference affiliation speaks volumes about who gets in and who is left out.

Comment

Hahahahahahahahah! I just checked and a team that I didn't even have on the radar is actually listed as LAST TEAM IN.

Cincinatti Bearcats.

Memphis is not even in the equation right now, which to me is freaking HI-LAIR-EEEEE-ous!!!! I might normally be upset that a team from our conference was excluded from the Tourney, but not so much this time.

With wins over Baylor and Kansas, I think you underestimate the power of the media darling Jerome Tang and their remaining schedule which includes games with BYU, TCU, and Iowa State in Manhattan. If they win those 3 home games against those opponents, and just 2 games in the conference Tourney they'll have a 20 win season in what the pundits declare is the best basketball conference on the planet. Pretty sure they'll find a way to include them at the expense of a LOT of teams that have been mentioned on the "no name" list, who are currently listed as the auto qualifier for their conference. In this basketball crazy world, the name of the team and their conference affiliation speaks volumes about who gets in and who is left out.
                      The future wins/losses are irrelevant to the approach I took which was as of right now. KSU is on the outside looking in and have a lot of work to do.

Memphis has been out of the picture for quite some time. Even when they were ranked they were on the edge.

Cincy doesn't have a great record against Q1 teams (2-5) but they do have a top 40 NET which helps. Perks of playing in the best conference. Right now, I could see the XII getting 10 in. UCF and KSU could be NIT bound while OSU and WV go home. KSU and UCF both need more Q1 wins to get into the discussion. I doubt either gets those wins, but we'll see over the next few weeks.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

My Take on Bracketology (most # of teams getting in in parenthesis)

(1) American East-----> Vermont Bryant
                        (3) American Athletic -----> USF Charlotte FAU SMU Memphis
                        (2) A10 -----> Dayton Richmond
                        (5) ACC -----> UNC Duke VA Pitt Clemson
                        (1) ASUN -----> E. Kentucky Stetson Lipscomb
                        (10) B12 -----> Iowa St Houston Baylor KU TCU Texas Tech BYU OU Texas Cincinatti KState
                        (5) Big East -----> UConn Marquette Creighton Seton Hall Providence
                        (1) Big Sky -----> E. Washington Weber St
                        (1) Big South -----> High Point UNC Asheville
                        (6) Big 10 -----> Purdue Illinois Wisconsin Mich State Northwestern Nebraska
                        (1) Big West -----> UC Irvine UC San Diego
                        (1) CAA -----> Charleston UNC Wilmington Drexel
                        (1) Conference USA -----> La Tech W Kentucky
                        (1) Horizon -----> Oakland Green Bay
                        (1) Ivy League -----> Yale Cornell Princeton
                        (1) MAAC -----> Quinnipiac
                        (1) MAC -----> Akron Toledo
                        (1) MEAC -----> Norfolk
                        (1) MVC -----> Indiana St Drake Bradley
                        (3) Mountain West -----> San Diego Utah St Colo St New Mexico Nevada
                        (1) Northeast -----> Merrimack Central Conn
                        (1) Ohio Valley -----> Morehead St
                        (3) Pac 12 -----> Arizona Washington St Oregon
                        (1) Patriot -----> Colgate Lafayette
                        (7) SEC -----> Alabama Tennessee Auburn S Carolina Florida Kentucky Ole Miss
                        (1) Southern -----> McNeese
                        (1) SWAC -----> Southern
                        (1) Summit -----> N Dakota
                        (1) Sun Belt -----> Appalachian St James Madison
                        (3) West Coast -----> St Marys Gonzaga San Francisco
                        (1) WAC -----> Grand Canyon Tarleton

That's (68) teams. Please note if your Conference has a (1) by it and you wish to participate in March Madness DO NOT LOSE IN YOUR CONFERENCE TOURNEY. There will be no handouts, no do overs, no second chance to plead your case, and no challenges.

Comment

With FAU losing again .. and Memphis getting throttled ... we are much much more likely to get 1 bid than 3 at this point.

Comment

Memphis.......

Comment

2024 Tournament Selection Committee
                              Name School/Conference Position Email
                              Charles McClelland Southwestern Conf. Commissioner b.ford@swac.org
                              Bubba Cunningham North Carolina Athletic Director bubba.cunningham@unc.edu
                              Arthur Johnson Temple Athletic Director athletics@temple.edu
                              Martin Newton Samford Athletic Director cnewton@samford.edu
                              Jamie Pollard Iowa State Athletic Director jbp@iastate.edu
                              Mark Coyle Minnesota Athletic Director icaadmin@umn.edu
                              Tom Wistrcill Big Sky Conf. Commissioner twistrcill@bigskyconf.com
                              Greg Byrne Alabama Athletic Director gbyrne@ia.ua.edu
                              Keith Gill Sun Belt Conf. Commissioner kgill@sunbeltsports.org
                              Barry Collier Butler Athletic Director athleticdirector@butler.edu
                              Scott Barnes Oregon State Athletic Director scott.barnes@oregonstate.edu
                              Renee Baumgartner Santa Clara Athletic Director rbaumgartner@scu.edu
                              Just sent my unsolicited advice to the 2024 Tournament Selection Committee membership.
                              Last edited by Kung Wu; February 26, 2024, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X