• Top 68 Team Previews: #54 Wichita State Shockers

Projected Starting Lineup:
    PG: Malcolm Armstead 6-0 SR
    SG: Demetric Williams 6-2 SR
    SF: Cleanthony Early 6-8 JR
    PF: Carl Hall 6-8 SR
    C: Ehimen Orukpe 7-0 SR
    Key Reserves: SG Tekele Cotton 6-2 SO, C Chadrack Lufile 6-9 JR

Gregg Marshall finally led his Shockers to the NCAA tournament but lost to VCU in the first round. Overall, the season was a success though and put a seal of approval on the Wichita State program as one of the best mid-major programs in the nation. Marshall lost some talent with Ragland, Murry, Smith and Stutz moving on from the program but the Shockers still have an experienced team returning this season.

Find your domain name at HugeDomains. Start using this domain right away.

I love that lineup. But if we're only going with two key reserves, I'd currently replace Lufile with White. At least he's proven himself to some degree at the DI level. If we were going to put a new player on there, Wiggins or FVV would have been my choice.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I like the lineup. If Clee commits to team defense, this could provide a very horrifying defensive unit to all opponents, very capable of playing a very agressiive full-court press or dropping into a stifling half-court defense. EO has to stay out of foul trouble and this team can be top-ten nationally in team defense.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I'm not that concerned about EO's fouls. He plays aggressive defense and is less foul prone than Stutz was considering his level of activity. We have Hall and Lufile as backups and Jake White, possibly Cle, backing up the 4. I think we'll be fine underneath this year. My biggest concern is our ability to hit outside shots and keep the defenses from packing it in on us. We're really gonna miss the 3 point shooting of Ragland, Smith and Kyles.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          I'm not that concerned about EO's fouls. He plays aggressive defense and is less foul prone than Stutz was considering his level of activity. We have Hall and Lufile as backups and Jake White, possibly Cle, backing up the 4. I think we'll be fine underneath this year. My biggest concern is our ability to hit outside shots and keep the defenses from packing it in on us. We're really gonna miss the 3 point shooting of Ragland, Smith and Kyles.
          Ron Baker would like to have a word with you... godrongod.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
          Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Three pt shooters, let see, I believe that Williams, Cotton, White, and Wessel will be improved from last year returners. Redshirts, Joe can shoot and score, never seen Armstead shoot, and Baker is the sniper. New Guys from 3, Early, Wiggins and Vanvleet.........BRING ON THE ZONE!!!! This years team might start slow, but by Jan, i believe this will be Marshall best team and one that nobody will be looking forward to playing at any level. Let the Fun begin! can't wait
            "It's the same at every address"

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              EO also won't pick up the offensive fouls like Stutz did.

As to hitting the outside shot; we will miss Ragland's 50% for sure, but Kyles and Smith hit roughly the same percentage last year that Cotton and Williams hit. (mid to upper 30s). White and Wessel will certainly be improved. Wiggins and Early should be as good or better than Murry and Kyles. Armstead shot 50% from three in JUCO but was in the mid 30s at UofO.
              Livin the dream

Comment

The potential is there for sure. We'll have to wait and see how it translates to the live games. DWill and Cotton can both hit some threes but they haven't taken nearly as many shots as Kyles and Smith did. Ron hasn't played since high school, although from the videos posted, we know he can shoot - can he do it with a guy in his face? I'm confident Wiggins and Early will be shooting threes as well, but how long will it take them to get comfortable? As good as Joe was, he wasn't much of a factor the first half of his first year here - I hope Wiggins and Early are ready to step up.

Comment

I'm not expecting Early to be a huge threat. Good enough to keep teams honest (30-35%) but not much more. I'd hope Wiggins can hit at least 35% and hopefully 40%+. Baker and Cotton should both be over 40%. DWill could be over 40% but should be at least 35%. I'd think White would be in the 30-35% range as well if not better. I don't know about Armstead or FVV yet. Those are some pretty good threats and will keep teams honest. I don't think Cotton is going to jack up threes like Kyles, but he'll hit a better percentage of them when he shoots them. Baker could be the assassin that everyone is looking for. And just wait until next year when we add a 6'8" deep threat in Green!
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Tekele Cotton is going to start folks.

Comment

I don't disagree. Do you see him starting in place of Williams or one of our fine JUCO wings?
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        Tekele Cotton is going to start folks.
                        One of the basketball managers told me the same thing recently. He said he expected Armstead, Cotton and Baker to start 1-3. And Van Vleet was pushing Armstead everyday. Demetric Williams never even came up in our conversation. I'm not saying I dont expect Demetric to play a big role, I just dont think his starting is as much of a sure thing as it might have seemed after last season. I had him and Carl as starters. Cotton flies under the radar more than anybody. He could end up being the best of them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
                          One of the basketball managers told me the same thing recently. He said he expected Armstead, Cotton and Baker to start 1-3. And Van Vleet was pushing Armstead everyday. Demetric Williams never even came up in our conversation. I'm not saying I dont expect Demetric to play a big role, I just dont think his starting is as much of a sure thing as it might have seemed after last season. I had him and Carl as starters. Cotton flies under the radar more than anybody. He could end up being the best of them all.
                          Did Williams injury come up?

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                            Did Williams injury come up?
                            No it didn't. And that could be a good reason why Demetric didn't either. His injury may open the door for Cotton to start or Baker to get additional minutes. Just as the learning curve for Wiggins and Early could lead to minutes for someone else early in the season. Demetric may have some catching up to do, and we will see how people take advantage of the time given to them in his absense. I hope he comes back and knocks down 3's with that rainbow arch of his, and burns opponents end to end like he's capable of, but I'm glad there's competition for all of our positions and that for the most part nobody can just walk into a starting position.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
                              Wouldn't it be great to have Baker on the All-Freshman team? Something I could certainly see if he starts.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X