Shocker Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Defense

This year's team appears to have the ability to be a defense powerhouse if they all can gel (and stay out of foul trouble).

My bold prediction is that the Shocks once again have multiple players on the MVC All-Defensive Team ... I could see 3 being on there from 6 candidates: EO, Hall, Early, Cotton, DWill, and Armstead. I would go bold and say we could lock down all 5 spots but you know Echenique and Carmichael will be on there again, plus I am sure the MVC wouldnt allow it.

Also, we will improve on the #54 NCAA ranking for points allowed per game. Although I doubt we reach #15 in the nation for points scored per game and #3 in scoring margin this year again in 2012-13.

Not to bag on a guy that finished 2nd in MVC POY votes (and it does bug me when fans trash players once the are out of the program), but Stutz was brutal at times on the defensive end (although improved some as a senior). More minutes for guys that can defend the rim and truly be the last line of defense (lookin at you EO and Hall) is one reason I could see this this unit being much improved. Another reason is that the depth the Shocks roll out there this year, which means they can rotate in fresh legs and have minimal drop-off in talent.

If Early and Wiggins can score at the D1 level, if FunkyFresh men Baker and FVV are legit scorers, and if Hall and DWill step up their O, combined with the defensive potential ... this team looks like one that could once again cut down the nets ... hopefully this time in STL too. I realize that those are a lot of "ifs" ... and "IFS AND BUTS ... CANDY AND NUTS", but I dont think any are a real stretch.

One last prediction ... while many of the media outlets are discounting this team due to the loss of so much talent last year (which in a way I understand and really dont mind), they will all be jumping on the bandwagon come late Jan early Feb, mark it!

If five balls were allowed on the court, we could have all five. However, there is only one, and teams usually have one star player, and whoever can neutralize that star gets the nod
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
    Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

I'm excited about the defensive potential of this team. Last year, we finished in a tie for 17th nationally (with seven other teams, so we were officially in the top 25) in points allowed per possession at 0.92. We lost a great on-ball defender in Rags, a shotblocker in Kyles, tough man defender in Murry and a good team defender in Smith. Can we improve to 0.90 to get into the top 5? Or 0.88 to become top 3?

If EO can stay on the floor for close to the 23 minutes that Stutz averaged, then I can easily visualize a 0.02 improvement. To achieve this, we need to allow only 1.5 fewer points per game. That would require EO to alter only ONE shot that Garrett allowed to score. Only ONE!

Armstead should be a tough on ball as Rags. I have no doubt that Wiggins and Early can provide the blocks that Kyles gave us. Who will be the Smith and Murry? Cotton and (insert name here)?

Last year we tied for #113 with 12.8 turnovers forced per game. Can we induce one more per game and rise to #51? We have some real ballhawks to full-court press a bit more, and EO to be the deep man in pressing situations. Inducing just TWO more per game would jump us to the top 10 nationally at 10.8 per game. Can a lineup of Armstead, Williams, Cotton, Early and EO get us a few turnovers in a pressing situation?

Just thinking about this really gets me enthused for the coming season.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I wasn't overly impressed with Rags as a defender last year. Maybe it was because Murry, Kyles, Cotton and Williams were so darn good. Either way, Armstead should be an upgrade to Rags. Not sure about Mitchell, Wiggins, Baker and VanVleet but I am sure that if they are getting minutes at the 1 or 2 that they are competent defenders.

Also, last year I'm not sure we had anyone on the all defensive team (can't remember), but we did win the Army Team Defense award.
        Livin the dream

Comment

We should be able to have a size advantage at each position. Whether we have an advantage in quickness, i don't know. I tend to believe so based on athleticism. If so, we should be great defensively. Add to that some HCGM red arse and, yeah.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Didn't VanVleet average like four or five steals per game last year? Yes, that was high school, of course, but Armstead (handspeed on handspeed) and VanVleet (savvy anticipation) on the court together, at times, could give opposing MVC guard tandems real fits! Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
              We should be able to have a size advantage at each position. Whether we have an advantage in quickness, i don't know. I tend to believe so based on athleticism. If so, we should be great defensively. Add to that some HCGM red arse and, yeah.
              We have the potential for size equality at each position. Simons, at 6-8 is a SF. 6-9 Wilkins and Koch ate PFs. Taylor Brown is a 6-4 SG. Odum is a significantly taller PG at 6-4. Creighton and Drake will both run a 6-6 SG off the bench.
              Livin the dream

Comment

We will (again) have nobody on the All Defensive team, yet somehow will win the Team award.

Comment

Btw, if during the weeks leading up to the start of the season I begin to sound pissy, it's because I am .

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Btw, if during the weeks leading up to the start of the season I begin to sound pissy, it's because I am .
                    Why is that doc?
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      Also, last year I'm not sure we had anyone on the all defensive team (can't remember), but we did win the Army Team Defense award.
                      Toure and Smith made the ALL-D Team last year.

http://www.mvc-sports.com/media/2011...Conference.pdf

Comment

Working...
                      X