No announcement yet.

AN EARLY PREVIEW OF THE WSU BASKETBALL 2012-2013 SEASON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not to poke fun, John -- well, not too much, anyway -- but did you just pick a thread at random for that last post? I'm pretty sure the season being previewed was, as the title says, WSU basketball rather than football.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      Not to poke fun, John -- well, not too much, anyway -- but did you just pick a thread at random for that last post? I'm pretty sure the season being previewed was, as the title says, WSU basketball rather than football.
      Whoops! Sorry. This was intended for the Deb Farris football thread. I'm posting on my phone, in the car, hit the wrong one. I'm just a little dumbfounded by the Panther fans over on MVCFans. They are as dillusional as CaseyGarrisonForPreZ.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
        Whoops! Sorry. This was intended for the Deb Farris football thread. I'm posting on my phone, in the car, hit the wrong one. I'm just a little dumbfounded by the Panther fans over on MVCFans. They are as dillusional as CaseyGarrisonForPreZ.
        Deranged Panther fans can dumb down a lot of people into inserting a post in the wrong thread. No biggie.

LOL, do they really think they are being eyed up by the MAC? Do they really think they are that desirable to a FBS conference? Good Lord.

Welp, prepare for disappointment Frostbite Falls.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Returning Players vs Players gone

The task at hand is to replace those no longer here, Ragland, Stutz, Smith, Murry, and Kyles and their statistical contributions in their collective 130.15 minutes per game last season. To do that, we have returners Williams, Hall, Wessel, Orukpe Cotton and White. If we kept Williams and Hall at their 24 and 22 respectively frpom last season and doubled the minutes for the other four to 15.2, 15.6, 19.0 and 14.5, respectively, using their statistics per minute from last year, we'd have the following:

Gone Returning
          Minutes Played 130.2 110.9
          Points 57.1 28.5
          Rebounds 22.4 20.0
          Assists 10.4 7.9
          Turnovers 8.1 6.2

If Armstead were added into the mix, using his 27.3 minutes and statistics per minute from his 2010-2011 year at Oregon, it becomes

Gone Returning + Armstead
          Minutes Played 130.2 138.6
          Points 57.1 37.0
          Rebounds 22.4 22.9
          Assists 10.4 11.7
          Turnovers 8.12 6.2

That leaves 60 minutes for Early, Wiggins, Green and VanVleet.

It doesn't look too bad in any category except scoring. It does seem reasonable, however, to anticipate more scoring from the returners given that they have a lot more shots available to take that were left by those no longer here.

Given the opportunity to play, I feel pretty good with Armstead, Williams, Hall, Cotton, White, Wessel and Orukpe as the returning core of six.
          Last edited by im4wsu; October 18, 2012, 09:20 PM. Reason: Correcting Armsteads stats - second time
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Armstead averaged more than 5 ppg
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              Armstead averaged more than 5 ppg
              Nice catch. I copied a formula instead of his numbers. My bad. It's been fixed.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

• Armstead averaged 8.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.7 tpg and 4.4 apg in 27.5 mpg as a junior…scoring was at 10.3 as a sophomore.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• I think it more likely that Baker play and Green red-shirt and that Wessel's minutes and production are limited.

Also, don't count out Chadrack Lufile.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Why not expect something out of Lufile?

Edit. Sorry, didn't read the post correctly.
                    Last edited by tropicalshox; October 18, 2012, 10:46 PM.
                    In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                      Why not expect something out of Lufile?
                      I knew i was forgetting somebody. Mitchell and the walk-ons, too.

Comment

• Mitchell can really shoot the rock and plays strong. We are so very deep at the guard positions. Chadrack to me was like the missing link to shore up our team inside play and complete our quality depth inside. He may not start, but will play his fair share. He can run the floor, passes the rock to the open man quite well, and is a banger inside. We led the Valley in bounds last Season. Can this squad do the same? Also, if we can press and trap relentlessly for 40 minutes and play solid D., watch out Valley!!!
                        Last edited by forevershockerfan; October 18, 2012, 10:17 PM.
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                          The task at hand is to replace those no longer here, Ragland, Stutz, Smith, Murry, and Kyles and their statistical contributions in their collective 130.15 minutes per game last season. To do that, we have returners Williams, Hall, Wessel, Orukpe Cotton and White. If we kept Williams and Hall at their 24 and 22 respectively frpom last season and doubled the minutes for the other four to 15.2, 15.6, 19.0 and 14.5, respectively, using their statistics per minute from last year, we'd have the following:

Gone Returning
                          Minutes Played 130.2 110.9
                          Points 57.1 28.5
                          Rebounds 22.4 20.0
                          Assists 10.4 7.9
                          Turnovers 8.1 6.2

If Armstead were added into the mix, using his 27.3 minutes and statistics per minute from his 2010-2011 year at Oregon, it becomes

Gone Returning + Armstead
                          Minutes Played 130.2 138.6
                          Points 57.1 37.0
                          Rebounds 22.4 22.9
                          Assists 10.4 11.7
                          Turnovers 8.12 6.2

That leaves 60 minutes for Early, Wiggins, Green and VanVleet.

It doesn't look too bad in any category except scoring. It does seem reasonable, however, to anticipate more scoring from the returners given that they have a lot more shots available to take that were left by those no longer here.

Given the opportunity to play, I feel pretty good with Armstead, Williams, Hall, Cotton, White, Wessel and Orukpe as the returning core of six.
                          If a player saw the floor in all, or most all, games, the mpg is valid. The mpg for a player is the total minutes played divided by the number of games appeared in. Evan played 99 minutes for the season and appeared in 13 games for an average per game played of 7.6. Based on all 33 games, he averaged only 3 mpg. Same applies to White. EO only missed 2 games, the others you listed played in all or only missed 1 game.

Comment

• The moral of the story could go as follows: "If Coach Marshall suggest that you could be better served by redshirting in terms of minutes played, you may ought believe that prompting could have a sense of reality to follow in terms of pine time."
                            Yipes, Stripes, Beechnut Gum as WstateU would proclaim.
                            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• I believe we will again lead the league in boards...Hall, Eo, Lufile, White and Early are all serious rebounders...
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                                I think it more likely that Baker play and Green red-shirt and that Wessel's minutes and production are limited.

Also, don't count out Chadrack Lufile.
                                Wasn't coleby quite the player albeit on a lesser d-1 team? He might be massively flying under the radar. I'm very interested in both these guys (Lou Feel and Coleby). I know we were talking specifically about returners at first, but these two guys might turn out to be pretty sweet post depth. Eo is going to have to be pretty darn good to keep from getting beat out and if he is good enough to hold it down, look the heck out

Comment

Working...
                                X